Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80)

So today I got the bike running again, had to clean the carbs yet again... Just a quickie clean... Got it running though and thats a decent day to me.

IMHO go with cheap paper filter , you 've already POR-ed your tank , no need for more than that .
Great job BTW.

So far today:

-Carbs and airbox installed

-Discovered that the piece that broke off in the tank is actually a portion of a replaceable fuel filter, the other postion was stuck where the petcock mounts... I called Markham Outdoor Power, I can't get the the filter anymore but I could order an updated petcock to get the filter that's included with that... $65.00... hmmm

-Cleaned up and installed battery tray and wiring

That's all for today... Next I need to figure out if I want this expensive in tank fiter or a cheap in-line filter... After I sort that out I can fuel it up and see how it's running...

And then I kept going lol... So I bought an in line filter from the lawnmower section of CT and some hose and installed the fuel tank and my filtered line to the carbs.

I've been cheating on GTAM with www.cb750c.com for a little bit, as Polak advised me to do lonnng ago, you should check it out if working on one of these beasts!!! So here's what you've missed:

DONE
1. AUTO FUEL VALVE: I learned the auto fuel valve aka auto petcock aka Spawn Of Satan is a cause of many problems on these bike so I removed it.

IN PROGRESS
CARBS: I learned that the way I've been "cleaning" my carbs has been inadequate, and since I need a carb rebuild kit anyways I've pulled the carbs again (getting real good at it) and tore everything apart (did not break the bank apart yet) and it's been sitting in pinesol over the weekend. I'm going to order my rebuil kit from www.randakks.com, it seems to be very popular. Also broke a bolt that holds the air cutoff valve plate on #1 carb. Damn.
***Parts Ordered***

FUTURE
3. ENGINE: I'm going to order an OEM engine gasket kit, pull the motor again, replace the gaskets, attempt some engine painting, remove the oil pan and tidy up inside, do all recomended top end work (valve lap, valve seals, valve adjustment), and build it all back again.

4. FRONT BRAKES: What a mess, these will need to be rebuilt.

5. FORKS: Might be ok, but I plan to do the fork seals for the experience and while the forks are apart I'll likely handle painting them.

After these items are all taken care of, the bike will be rideable. Once she's rideable, the clean up will come. I want to powder coat the frame, tank, front/rear fenders, swingarm, pegs, centre stand, forks, and the handlebar... Probably going to paint it black, all black. I plan to delete all the chrome from the bike... But my mind may change by the time I get there. LOL, I should worry about the broken bolt in #1 carb for now :banghead:

Not many pic's taken, but you've already seen me pull the carbs so no need for more pics on that... I'll post what I did take when there are more pics.

Last edited:
What a great thread! Very inspiring. Keep it up; in the end you will have a fine machine. They don't build engines like that anymore.

What a great thread! Very inspiring. Keep it up; in the end you will have a fine machine. They don't build engines like that anymore.

Thanks, now that I have a plan it's easier to get things done.

Rebuilds can be a lot of fun.....good luck on yours....looking good so far

I am doing one right now as well, but on a 30 year old Suzuki, you can see here if you like

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=184389

as for cleaning carbs, the pine sol method worked very well for me

start of thread here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=184389&page=2

and a picture of the carbs after about 8 hours, I should have let them sit longer

P1060229.jpg

and the current state of the bike

P1080853.jpg

Great thread, RideThis.. I've gone through just about everything you have with my '75 CB750 (sohc) in the last year.. I'm sure by now you've found www.vintagecb750.com They're pretty good for parts, but can get a little pricey. Also, I do have some extra engine covers and bars left over should you need anything. Can't say they'll fit for sure, but you're welcome to try.

If you get some time, check my pics on photobucket... http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n601/mquinn42/CB750/

Also check out this guys channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrmaxstorey He's good to listen to, and can explain things without a lot of bs. Not sure where you are with the technical stuff, but it can't hurt to give it a look.

Good luck bud, I look forward to your updates.

M

p.s. I'm so envious that you can pull your valve cover while the engine is in frame... :(

Last edited:
@ Mudroch,

Your bike looks sweet, was it cosmetically nice like that when you got it? Or did you have to make it pretty yourself???

I have visited vintagecb750 already but it's good to know someone has shopped there without issues.

I check out your youtube link later when I have some time.

Cheers!

Thanks RT

The tank and covers were as they were, but the frame was a bit of a mess and there was a tear in the seat. By far the worst thing was the engine. It was spitting oil out the exhaust and rattled and clanked like a scrap yard falling down the stairs... I ended up having the cylinders bored, and the head redone. I put it together with new pistons,rings, etc. It was worth every penny...

How is yours coming along?

I just registered here to let you know I am in shock of happiness and I really want to see what's going on with your project.

I will start same project CB750C in a couple of days.

When it comes time to lap the valves consider clamping the valve stem in the chuck of an electric drill instead of using the suction cup stick. That's what I use and it just seems to make the job so much quicker.

Back
Top Bottom