We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 93 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

Re: We know you ride, but do you Shoot?

Don't you need a stronger barrel for a fully automatic weapon?

If you want it to last, which the criminals don't care about. Anyone can get those as they are unregulated. With that being said, they don't go around carrying fully automatic weapons because they are hard to conceal.

In Canada, the only regulated items are the magazines and receivers. It would be pretty trivial to 3D print the receivers for some guns or even just hammer one out of an excrement-shovel, drill where needed and get an unregulated parts kit to turn it into an actual gun. You can also get partly finished receivers and finish them off with a Dremel and a drill. Once again, get some unregulated parts and you are in business. Magazines can also be 3-d printed or easily modified. It would be pretty trivial for me to do it and I am not a machinist by any stretch of imagination. The reason I don't do it is because I obey the law even when it's completely idiotic.

The reason nobody bothers is because full auto is pretty much useless.

The reason nobody bothers is because full auto is pretty much useless.

That too... I fired off a couple of mags from a legally-owned selective fire rifle and while it was OK to say "I've done it", it's not something I'd wanna do regularly. Doesn't promote good marksmanship and gets expensive when paying for your own ammo. Kinda like going over 200km/h to say that you've done it but you know that even 80km/h can be more fun when done in the right twisties ;)

That too... I fired off a couple of mags from a legally-owned selective fire rifle and while it was OK to say "I've done it", it's not something I'd wanna do regularly. Doesn't promote good marksmanship and gets expensive when paying for your own ammo. Kinda like going over 200km/h to say that you've done it but you know that even 80km/h can be more fun when done in the right twisties ;)
That's why I think we don't mind not having the auto's. Spray and pray isn't my style of shooting in the least. Other then it being fun to do it once or twice, who would do it continuously when they go shooting?

I think even if it were easy to buy and own a selective fire rifle I think most people would probably keep it set to semi the majority of the time.

Last edited:

its great if you need suppressing fire clearly you have never tried to remove squirrels from a barn

Wouldn't traps do less damage to the barn and surrounding area?

I'm picturing someone with a FN C2 A1 blowing chunks out of the barn, tractor, cows etc.

That's why I think we don't mind not having the auto's. Spray and pray isn't my style of shooting in the least. Other then it being fun to do it once or twice, who would do it continuously when they go shooting?

I think even if it were easy to buy and own a selective fire rifle I think most people would probably keep it set to semi the majority of the time.

I guess that now would depend on what your going out to shoot....????

Wouldn't traps do less damage to the barn and surrounding area?

I'm picturing someone with a FN C2 A1 blowing chunks out of the barn, tractor, cows etc.

It was hell collateral damage was to be expected...i lost allot of good friends that day i don't need operational criticism from you..mistakes were made..

Last edited:

Don't you need a stronger barrel for a fully automatic weapon?

You need a heavier barrel to dissipate heat. You need a heavier everything really. A F/A M16A2 is a good couple pounds heavier than a 20" AR15 if I'm not mistaken.

Even the world's militaries have moved away from full auto battle rifles. The new M16s and M4s are Safe-Semi-Burst (3 rounds per pull). That's why the FN Minimi or M249 is now more widespread. Let a machine gun be a machine gun. Dumping 30 rounds full auto takes 2-3 seconds. Not useful for much.

Last edited:

You need a heavier barrel to dissipate heat. You need a heavier everything really. A F/A M16A2 is a good couple pounds heavier than a 20" AR15 if I'm not mistaken.

Even the world's militaries have moved away from full auto battle rifles. The new M16s and M4s are Safe-Semi-Burst (3 rounds per pull). That's why the FN Minimi or M249 is now more widespread. Let a machine gun be a machine gun. Dumping 30 rounds full auto takes 2-3 seconds. Not useful for much.

The problem is that Colt's 3 round burst mechanism is, well, no where near as robust or as reliable as H&K's for example, and it doesn't reset if you don't fire all 3 rounds (let go of the trigger early and fire only 2 rounds and the next pull of the trigger will only fire 1 round... H&K's as used in the MP5 resets no matter how many rounds are fired).

The issue is better training and the US military's inability to control their soldiers to use controlled bursts. Firing a proper machine gun without controlled bursts isn't optimum fire, it turns into a spray pattern rather than a beaten zone, wastes ammo, and burns out barrels. Canada continues to use a select fire (semi or full auto) C7/C8.

Last edited:

I just got a new Savage mkII with a Bull Barrel and acu trigger...boy that this is dead on accurate.

I have a Mk2 fv-sr, probably my most accurate .22! I wasn't expecting that when I bought it

I have the FV model.
Super fun little plinker and didn't cost a whole lot.

A question for those of you with an RPAL:

So I got my PAL a few years back and am now thinking about getting my RPAL (I know, I know, I should have done it at the same time -- but I didn't).
1) At what point do I need to get a range membership -- do I need one to get the RPAL issued, or do I only need to get one before buying a restricted firearm?

2) After I own a restricted firearm, can I let my range membership lapse? I realize I would not be able to transport it during that time, but I was just thinking -- in the off chance I want to take a year off of going to the range would I be illegal?

1) you 'need' it when you're buying a firearm. I've simply told them in the past that Im on a waiting list for a club and that was the end of the questioning... maybe its stricter now, maybe not. Try it!

2) yes you can let your membership lapse

A question for those of you with an RPAL:

So I got my PAL a few years back and am now thinking about getting my RPAL (I know, I know, I should have done it at the same time -- but I didn't).
1) At what point do I need to get a range membership -- do I need one to get the RPAL issued, or do I only need to get one before buying a restricted firearm?

2) After I own a restricted firearm, can I let my range membership lapse? I realize I would not be able to transport it during that time, but I was just thinking -- in the off chance I want to take a year off of going to the range would I be illegal?

number 2 might be answered better here well not better but it will give you more info on the new stipulations

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/notice-avis-2015-09-eng.htm#a2

Last edited:

Thanks, while we're at it, do you know if your range up in Orangeville is taking members? What is the yearly fee there?

I believe we still have room for some members, but don't quote me on it.....best to call or email and find out, as a new member it's going to be expensive, but as a year to year member it's about 300 bucks, give or take, depending if you take the fishing portions, or the archery, etc....

Pm me your number and I will get you in touch with one of the guys on the board to give you any info you need....

Thanks for the offer.

I got an email from Lorrie Orr a couple years ago and she outlined the details.

I think I will go to Silverdale though... as they have a 200 yard rifle range which I need for my 270, and they have an excellent discount for ex military ($200/year instead of $300) -- I think it will still be an expensive first year though, as they require a handgun course and something about an ATT course????

Back
Top Bottom