We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

I also want the Yugo M48 (Mauser K98). What can i say....sentimental value...lol

Made in the mother country???

I saw one at a show and was amazed at the craftmanship. The woodwork was amazing

Da! Both guns were built in the 50's and 60's the old school method. When craftmanship was a badge of honour....

Made in the mother country???

I saw one at a show and was amazed at the craftmanship. The woodwork was amazing

^^ Nice. I want to get a Yugo M56 but those suckers are rare and a lot more $$. I'm waiting for Marstart to import some more so i can snatch it up.

I also want the Yugo M48 (Mauser K98). What can i say....sentimental value...lol

The cherry of my collection is a 1946/47 Mauser model 1930 in 7x57, Made in Belgium. Unissued, unfired, non-refurbished. I did, however, put 20 rounds down the barrel to shake off the cobwebs and blow out the cosmoline. A thing of beauty and old-world craftsmenship. It will be passed down to my son.

I purchased it from Marstar two years ago, on left in photo below.

6488552789_1708d13364_b.jpg

I also have a gorgeous Mauser sporter (middle), custom made by a well respected Smith in B.C. It sports a RARE small-ring Mauser action (military or police origin, dated 1946 or 1947), with no thumb-cut or stripper clip slot. The barrel is NOS Brazilian Mauser, cut down to "short rifle" length, profesionally crowned and installed by another well known Smith in B.C. The furniture, trigger guard, and base plate are all Brno 21. It is chambered in 7x57 and is, by far and away, the best deer rifle I have ever owned/shot. It is topped by a vintage 2.5x Nickel-Marburg scope.

On right is a Sako Bavarian Carbine in 30-06. One of the few modern rifles built to old world standards. It is a real handy rifle with nice furniture. It will never see a scope.

The photo below is my SKS trio. Top is a 1951 Tula, the bottom is a 1954 Tula. Both are non-refurbished and unissued. The 1951 is also unfired. The 1954 only had 20 rounds down the barrel. Both are rare will be quite collectible as time goes on.

The middle SKS, a 1952, is my "shooter". It was professionally parkerized and Arma-coated in olive green. Lately, it has been wearing an ATI folder stock.

6692685227_e6b25b05d3_z.jpg

Last edited:
I fired my first rifle and shotgun yesterday and I'm hooked. I'm signed up for my CFSC/CRESCENT and hunter education. So now I'm looking for a few things

1. Gun club: something close to me (Milton) with a good atmosphere
2. Gun safe: because of step 3
3. Firearms: Ideally for moose and deer hunting. And maybe one or two that I can practice with at the range.

There's another thread around here that I was reading earlier, but thought I'd chime in here to see what you guys recommend.

I fired my first rifle and shotgun yesterday and I'm hooked. I'm signed up for my CFSC/CRESCENT and hunter education. So now I'm looking for a few things

1. Gun club: something close to me (Milton) with a good atmosphere
2. Gun safe: because of step 3
3. Firearms: Ideally for moose and deer hunting. And maybe one or two that I can practice with at the range.

There's another thread around here that I was reading earlier, but thought I'd chime in here to see what you guys recommend.

Regarding #1... Silverdale Gun Club http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/contact.html

Regarding #2... Canadian Tire sells Stack-on security cabinets. I have the 10-gun version, it works well and is priced right.

Regarding #3... if you're just starting out, there are two excellent calibres that will handle both deer and moose: 30-06 and 45-70... the later being more of a close-in "pushing the bush" type of calibre. I prefer 7x57, but I also handload.

I have owned and shot numerous rifles over the years, and I can say that Tikka overs excellent value for the money. I would look for a nice synthetic Tikka T3 in 30-06, 270, or 7mm-08 and you're covered for just about anything. Marlin makes a really handy "guide gun" in 45-70. I would get the stainless version with the big-loop lever:

Here's my guide gun:
4996726558_457453f938_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Triple. I forgot to mention that I also fired an sks and I liked it a lot. Not sure what its use would be for hunting, but I want one.

Thanks Triple. I forgot to mention that I also fired an sks and I liked it a lot. Not sure what its use would be for hunting, but I want one.

The SKS really has no place in the field for hunting. It can be used for deer if a proper hunting bullet is used, and if shots are kept under 100 metres, but I consider the rifle marginal for this purpose. Its a general purpose range plinker. Ammo is cheap (while available), and its a boatload of fun.

Last edited:
Fired pretty much every calibre weapon we had when I was in the Army, but never bothered to get a PAL once I retired. Every once in awhile I think about going through the process to get one, though, but one look at all the rules and regulations pretty usually kills the urge. Besides, after pulling a few lanyards on a 155mm Howitzer and expending more than my share of 50cal belts (with tracers, of course) it's going to be hard to get the same feeling from plinking away at a stationary target with a small calibre rifle in a controlled range environment.

Fired pretty much every calibre weapon we had when I was in the Army, but never bothered to get a PAL once I retired. Every once in awhile I think about going through the process to get one, though, but one look at all the rules and regulations pretty usually kills the urge. Besides, after pulling a few lanyards on a 155mm Howitzer and expending more than my share of 50cal belts (with tracers, of course) it's going to be hard to get the same feeling from plinking away at a stationary target with a small calibre rifle in a controlled range environment.

Yeah, if I had to go through it all now, I'd probably skip it. Because I've had mine for more than 25 years I was grandfathered and didn't have to jump through the current hoops. I doubt that I'd bother with it now, since I don't take them out anymore.

Damn. Time to renew this year.

I felt the same way Gummiente. I was also a Gunner with the 11th Field Regiment RCA, and in addition to the 155mm Howizter, I enjoyed both the FNC1A1/A2 and C7, among other toys. I let my F.A.C. lapse in 1992, and when I wanted to get back into shooting and was faced with having to go through all that BS to acquire a "PAL", I was pretty turned off. I did, however, bite the bullet and got my PAL. It was actually quite easy, and only a 2 day (weekend) course. I suggest you give it a try. I can even give you my study manual for free.

I felt the same way Gummiente. I was also a Gunner with the 11th Field Regiment RCA, and in addition to the 155mm Howizter, I enjoyed both the FNC1A1/A2 and C7, among other toys.

I was EME, my first posting was with the 1st Herd over in Lahr. Spent most of it in B Bty, then in HQ Bty when they went to Centralised Maintenance. Anyway, I appreciate your offer but it's not the PAL/FAC process that I have problems with, it's all the storage, transporting and useage rules and regs after the purchase of a firearm that turn me off.

I was EME, my first posting was with the 1st Herd over in Lahr. Spent most of it in B Bty, then in HQ Bty when they went to Centralised Maintenance. Anyway, I appreciate your offer but it's not the PAL/FAC process that I have problems with, it's all the storage, transporting and useage rules and regs after the purchase of a firearm that turn me off.

Understood. Its ridiculous.

The rifles are more lenient, its the handguns they are after.
I think rifles can be just as fun if not more, because u can reach out and touch your targets

I would understand why those would be illegal, because they are so compact and probably has a high rate of fire.
What I don't understand is why is an AK47 illegal, while some variants of it is perfectly legal. I need to do some research now.

All bullpup configurations are prohibited in Canada.

The AK is prohibited primarily because it's fully automatic, but also because the magazines are designed to hold more than 5 rounds, which isn't allowed here. A version that is semi-auto and is capped at 5 rounds should be allowed

I would understand why those would be illegal, because they are so compact and probably has a high rate of fire.
What I don't understand is why is an AK47 illegal, while some variants of it is perfectly legal. I need to do some research now.

It would certainly have a high rate of fire. Maybe 20 years back I unloaded three 30 round clips, through a 1022, in under a minute and a half including clip changes. Not fast by a combat shooter's mark, but not bad for a plinker.

All bullpup configurations are prohibited in Canada.

The AK is prohibited primarily because it's fully automatic, but also because the magazines are designed to hold more than 5 rounds, which isn't allowed here. A version that is semi-auto and is capped at 5 rounds should be allowed

if I'm not mistaken, even a semi auto with a 5 rd mag is not allowed.
In fact all fully auto rifles are prohibited in Canada, as far as I know.

edit: RCMP seized rifles looking like an AK, even tho they are .22 and semi-auto
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/RCMP+seizing+more+guns+registry+death+door/5960586/story.html

Last edited:
I've had my FAC but it's long expired. My dad was an instructor and needed a min amount of ppl for one of the classes, so I was voluntold.
As a kid, being the son he didn't yet have, looking for acceptance, I spent hours scouring the range for casings. Got a shiny nickel for every bullet I made on the press in the basement lol.
I've shot 9mms .57 specials and my very own glock. Good times :)

if I'm not mistaken, even a semi auto with a 5 rd mag is not allowed.
In fact all fully auto rifles are prohibited in Canada, as far as I know.

edit: RCMP seized rifles looking like an AK, even tho they are .22 and semi-auto
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/RCMP+seizing+more+guns+registry+death+door/5960586/story.html

You're absolutely right, all fully autos are prohibited. I meant to say that even semi-automatic bullpups are prohibited

I know for a fact that the max magazine size for a centre fire rifles (including shotguns) is 5, so you can definitely own a semi-automatic with a 5 round mag. I know guys with SKSs and the like. I don't think there is a limit to the magazine size on a rimfire. My .22 (Marlin XT-22 Varmint) holds 7+1 (but it's bolt action), I have a friend with a Ruger 10/22 who can take 15-20 rounds, and that's semi-automatic.

Maybe there is a law against replica weapons? That would explain why those were seized

Back
Top Bottom