We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 101 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

Re: We know you ride, but do you Shoot?

I shoot more than I ride...

All over Ontario and as far away as New Mexico for IPSC and 3-Gun.
'Little bit o' varmint shootin' once in a while too. 'Last trip was for prairie dogs down in Colorado last summer..
Heading to Quebec soon for an IPSC match.

Ive found a few in stock.. i think CTCS and some other shop that was importing them but was a US company...not irunguns. and they had FDE, black and OD i think.

i did msg poly80 a while back and they are releasing a 80% glock 19 frame.
i just wish they were based on the gen 4

edit...yup in stock

https://ctcsupplies.ca/collections/ar-80-lowers/products/polymer80-spectre-80-frame-v-1-black

and they have drop in metal rails and locking block.

Yes I know CTCS has them but BLACK is sold out in that link, like I said they sold out fast....

Personally I bought a Gen4 17 for my first pstol, then a I got a gen3 19, and now I prefer the Gen3 over Gen4, if/when I buy another Glock it will be Gen3. All my Gen 4's are converted to Gen3 internals anyways, and I dont use the back straps and I prefer the mag release on the Gen3 also...

As for the poly frames I have not seen any %80 GLock frames that have metal inserts for the frame rail slides like an OEM GLock frame. People always say Glock are all plastic, but they actually have metal molded into the plastic for the frame rails to slide on... %80 frames you have to cut those rail slides out of plastic with a little cutter they supply in the kit, so it remains bare plastic after you make the modifications to take it from %80 to %100 functional

My Glocks show sings of wear on those metal inserts (like pictured below), so I really question how long those will last with metal on plastic sliding contact.
DSC02031edited.jpg

4686d1371781491-help-wear-rails-my-glock-34-gen-3-img_6482.jpg

It seems the Polymer 80 kit give you a custom locking block with forward rails attached to it instead of the frame, thats better then no metal but again its not OEM design and still has no metal in the rear rail slides. $300 is not cheap for a lower, so Id hope it would lasts as long as an OEM glock lower. I paid $160 US for OEM bare Glock lowers for a 17 and 19 so its kinda steep, although it includes the jig and bits that you would only use once

Last edited:

Yes I know CTCS has them but BLACK is sold out in that link, like I said they sold out fast....

Personally I bought a Gen4 17 for my first pstol, then a I got a gen3 19, and now I prefer the Gen3 over Gen4, if/when I buy another Glock it will be Gen3. All my Gen 4's are converted to Gen3 internals anyways, and I dont use the back straps and I prefer the mag release on the Gen3 also...

As for the poly frames I have not seen any %80 GLock frames that have metal inserts for the frame rail slides like an OEM GLock frame. People always say Glock are all plastic, but they actually have metal molded into the plastic for the frame rails to slide on... %80 frames you have to cut those rail slides out of plastic with a little cutter they supply in the kit, so it remains bare plastic after you make the modifications to take it from %80 to %100 functional

My Glocks show sings of wear on those metal inserts (like pictured below), so I really question how long those will last with metal on plastic sliding contact.
DSC02031edited.jpg

It seems the Polymer 80 kit give you a custom locking block with forward rails attached to it instead of the frame, thats better then no metal but again its not OEM design and still has no metal in the rear rail slides. $300 is not cheap for a lower, so Id hope it would lasts as long as an OEM glock lower. I paid $160 US for OEM bare Glock lowers for a 17 and 19 so its kinda steep, although it includes the jig and bits that you would only use once

I have several thousand rounds through both my G19 and G22 . My rails have barley any wear . There have been test done on the G17 up to 10k with no failures on parts .

DSC02031edited.jpg

looks like you are right about the rear rails. i saw one online with a youtube simulated video and they made it look like they milled the rear and dropped in a metal rail and then put a pin in it to hold. now im curious if it was made by poly80 or another brand.

20170103_224908_zpszfomeapp.jpg

Apex Tactical flat trigger installed.
What a complete PAIN IN THE *** to install.

...so worth it though. The pull is just like a 1911 now. Light, clean and crisp.

I have several thousand rounds through both my G19 and G22 . My rails have barley any wear . There have been test done on the G17 up to 10k with no failures on parts .

I said my Glocks show signs of wear, I didn't say excessive wear did I? Just like in the picture there are signs of metal on metal sliding wear on mine. I have a few thousand rounds through my G17 also, but its a OEM Glock frame.

My issue is with the new 80% polymer frames with no metal in them, I question how the rear rail section will last or wear being all plastic with no metal
So unless you have a few thousand rounds though a poly frame, I don't really get what your trying to say....As I was not questioning OEM Glock frames, I was only questioning the aftermarket poly frames

Does your 19 and 22 both have aftermarket %80 poly frames?

looks like you are right about the rear rails. i saw one online with a youtube simulated video and they made it look like they milled the rear and dropped in a metal rail and then put a pin in it to hold. now im curious if it was made by poly80 or another brand.

Hey why don't you buy one, put a few thousand rounds through it and let us know how it does...LOL

Im just waiting for some first hand feedback before Im ready to drop the $300

I said my Glocks show signs of wear, I didn't say excessive wear did I?

Honest wear and tear is what you want... If your gun looks pristine you ain't shootin' enough

Last edited:

20170103_224908_zpszfomeapp.jpg

Apex Tactical flat trigger installed.
What a complete PAIN IN THE *** to install.

...so worth it though. The pull is just like a 1911 now. Light, clean and crisp.

Looking good, nice contrast with the red

Speaking about metal guns with nice triggers, hoping to get out soon to try my new toy. Its a 2lb SA
IMG_4034_zpszbd4ayvb.jpg

I said my Glocks show signs of wear, I didn't say excessive wear did I? Just like in the picture there are signs of metal on metal sliding wear on mine. I have a few thousand rounds through my G17 also, but its a OEM Glock frame.

My issue is with the new 80% polymer frames with no metal in them, I question how the rear rail section will last or wear being all plastic with no metal
So unless you have a few thousand rounds though a poly frame, I don't really get what your trying to say....As I was not questioning OEM Glock frames, I was only questioning the aftermarket poly frames

Does your 19 and 22 both have aftermarket %80 poly frames?

Number one my frame shows almost no wear . I stopped counting after 5k on each gun .Second I wouldn`t waste my money on after market slides that cause wear . The Glock is a perfectly reliable gun without adding crap on it . The more you spend it appears the worse gun you have . Ok that`s my point .

Number one my frame shows almost no wear . I stopped counting after 5k on each gun .Second I wouldn`t waste my money on after market slides that cause wear . The Glock is a perfectly reliable gun without adding crap on it . The more you spend it appears the worse gun you have . Ok that`s my point .

You still dont get it, we were talking about something different then you are....You did just say "shows almost no wear" so you do have slight wear, which is what I was saying in the first place. I never said my GLocks have bad or excessive wear, but you can clearly see wear from metal on metal contact. Just like the wear that happens on the barrels from metal on metal sliding contact, doesn't matter OEM or aftermarket its metal sliding on metal, it wears the coating first, then the base metal

When I posted this "My Glocks show sings of wear on those metal inserts (like pictured below), so I really question how long those will last with metal on plastic sliding contact." I am describing the metal reinforced slide rails in the frame of an OEM GLock, not the upper slide itself. Obviously I am not using the right term for them, but that is why I posted 2 pictures of them, one with them very clearly circled in yellow....LOL Not a slide.....And to be clear those are not my pictures of any of my own GLocks, they are just the ones I got off a google search quickly, so my wear is not nearly as bad as that one either, I just used that picture to show what I was talking about....

We were talking about 80% polymer frames with no metal inserts and how I question how they will wear compared to an OEM GLock frame, somehow your now comparing stock Glocks to modified Glocks. Which I own both of, and enjoy both. I own 2 gen4 17's and 2 gen3 19's and a gen3 21C, one 17/19 is completely stock, and the other 17/19 fully modified from the frames to the slides to aftermarket barrels and triggers. All 5 of them show sings of wear (not excessive wear but wear), as I shoot hundreds of rounds each range trip, I dont do the drive to the range for 100 rounds when I go I shoot hundreds of rounds for about 4-5 hours. All my guns modified or not shoot well, the only thing I have had to replace so far on the modified ones was the recoil spring, which was due to high round count on it not failure.

To each their own on that topic but I do both, respect stock guns but enjoy to modify also....Zev Tech has been good for me, I have experience with their parts so I can vouch for them. However these new 80% poly frames I am not too sure about just yet....They are more expensive then an OEM Glock frame, and I dont see any advantage to them unless you don't plan on registering it after completing it which would be illegal. For me it would be more about the fun of bringing something from %80 to %100 functional

Last edited:

Honest wear and tear is what you want... If your gun looks pristine you ain't shootin' enough

Great! Cause cleaning them is my least favorite part....They should have a dry cleaning service for guns

Great! Cause cleaning them is my least favorite part....They should have a dry cleaning service for guns

Cleaning is over rated... I ran a G17 to failure just to see how long it would take. Didn't clean it for two years and about 9000 rounds. The only failure eventually was FTE due to the extractor having become so badly clogged with carbon it could no longer achieve purchase upon the case rim.

Most I put through my G17 was 2300rds, then i got antsy and had to clean it.
I like taking my guns apart and reassembling them.

Front

Rear

Not sure the round count but I stopped counting 10 years ago .

Hey why don't you buy one, put a few thousand rounds through it and let us know how it does...LOL

Im just waiting for some first hand feedback before Im ready to drop the $300
Me too LOL.

Im paying for and planning a wedding this year so really no spare time to be honest...even if i got the lower getting time to mill it is just not really in the cards right now, i havent been out to the range since nov 2015...and ya i paid my 2016 and 2017 member fees.

Back
Top Bottom