We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 38 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

Re: We know you ride, but do you Shoot?

Restricteds by law can only be fired at approved ranges. Its not related to ATT at all.

..........Unless it's your property..........

just because it's your property does not mean you can discharge a firearm restricted or not, you have to comply with municipal and city bylaws as well, most have a no discharge by law in effect, some have it where you can hunt, but you cannot target shoot, and so on.......

just because it's your property does not mean you can discharge a firearm restricted or not, you have to comply with municipal and city bylaws as well, most have a no discharge by law in effect, some have it where you can hunt, but you cannot target shoot, and so on.......

You're stating the obvious, and that's not what I was trying to say (and I don't really think I did). The instructor that I did the course with told us that there wasn't any laws stating which firearms could be discharged on a property. (Restricted or non) obviously if you have a restricted you couldn't go to your friends property to shoot because your ATT wouldn't allow it. Again this is his words not mine) further he said if he had property where he was allowed to discharge a firearm he would shoot his handguns. AGAIN THIS IS WHAT HE TOLD ME

Well he is wrong, and an idiot for telling this to the students he is teaching.....

Handguns are a restricted firearm and can only be discharged at an approved range, now unless his property has an approved range on it, he is breaking the law......

I have property where I can discharge a firearm, still don't mean I can fire off a restricted firearm, the property does not have and is not an approved range.

Well he is wrong, and an idiot for telling this to the students he is teaching.....

Handguns are a restricted firearm and can only be discharged at an approved range, now unless his property has an approved range on it, he is breaking the law......

I've been looking at the laws online and can seem to find anything either way on the matter, anyone?

I'm [passively] searching for the exact laws/regulations which cover it. Haven't found it yet, but even if there's no specific law against discharging R firearms anywhere but approved ranges, you still couldn't take the gun to crown land because it would violate the conditions of your ATT, even if its built right into your licence.

Gonna keep looking.

One more thing to ponder is that the firearm can't even leave the confines of your dwelling without effective authorization. That'd be another hurdle to shooting R on your own property, you're not allowed to take it outside the walls of your house.

I'm [passively] searching for the exact laws/regulations which cover it. Haven't found it yet, but even if there's no specific law against discharging R firearms anywhere but approved ranges, you still couldn't take the gun to crown land because it would violate the conditions of your ATT, even if its built right into your licence.

Gonna keep looking.

I know that you can't take it anywhere else, that's why the att's are only to a CFO...range or a gunsmith.. But if the new att's said nothing about " to and from a range" could you then shoot on crown land (assuming the part about shooting R guns is accurate)?

One more thing to ponder is that the firearm can't even leave the confines of your dwelling without effective authorization. That'd be another hurdle to shooting R on your own property, you're not allowed to take it outside the walls of your house.

shoot through a window, problem solved

I know that you can't take it anywhere else, that's why the att's are only to a CFO...range or a gunsmith.. But if the new att's said nothing about " to and from a range" could you then shoot on crown land (assuming the part about shooting R guns is accurate)?

It doesn't sound like the conditions change, only that the ATT now becomes attached to your licence. If you have an RPAL, you have an LTATT. The same conditions still apply though... only to/from 'approved' places, such as gun shops, ranges, smiths, etc. If we're lucky they'd include postal locations for shipping purposes. Don't hold your breath on the crown land part, there's no way thats "approved".

shoot through a window, problem solved

Yeah that would work. Or build a basement range.

What if the most direct route to the club took you to your field away from houses n roads. And you could shoot restricted lol. Oh well I'm still interested to read the laws on discharging a restricted if anyone can find them. Wishing for lots on the new laws not expecting much tho

Last edited:
Lol, whole bunch of laws there...plus the sound lol

I saw photos of a guy's range somewhere in the prairies... he shoots from inside his large garage, through a 20"x20" tunnel which looked about 10' long, aimed downfield on his own farm. Very cool setup.

What if the most direct route to the club took you to your field away from houses n roads. And you could shoot restricted

My LTATT has these two conditions (among others) which would easily prevent you from doing that.

-The transportation of the firearm(s) must be in accordance with the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations.

-Firearms may only be loaded and/or carried on your person while you are actively engaged in target practice or a target shooting competition.

In other words, once you uncase them they're no longer in transport... and once you've loaded them, you're engaged in shooting and thus no longer on your way to the range.

Does anyone have any news on that second announcement at 7pm?

Nothing yet, but they're throwing scraps at us instead of going for a proper fix.

Car is in the shop, need to take my Mosin to gunsmith...odds of getting pulled over for having 48" rifle bag on my back while riding?

Back
Top Bottom