M2 Exit test - tips | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 Exit test - tips

Onagoth

I'm sure this comes up a lot, but does anyone have any advice for the M2 Exit test?

I live in Brantford and am considering taking the test in either Brantford or Tillsonburg, or some other small town.

Any help is appreciated. I've been riding and practicing a lot, feeling pretty comfortable with highway speeds and manuverability, but still thought the experts might have some useful insight :)

Thanks

Shoulder checks prior to turns and lane changes.
Think mirror, signal, shoulder, mirror, change.
Traffic/mirror checks at stops.
Feet up on the pegs early with less than three feet forward roll.
Scanning for threats which translates to moving your helmet when passing in front of threats such as school parking lots, crosswalks, church parking lots, gas stations, mall exits, etc.
Intersections, reducing speed and covering brakes with no gear changes mid intersection.
No gear changes while cornering.

Hope that helps.

I recommend taking an M2 Exit course from one of the local schools. Yes there's a cost associated, but not only will you get the basics down for what you need to succeed on the road test, you will also break any of the bad habits you may have picked up during your tenure as an M2 rider.

Better look into it a bit more. Only a few cities have the staff and equipment to do the M2 exit. I heard that Brantford people have to go to London or Hamilton/Burlington.
It's a pc of cake so just relax. Shoulder checking is #1, brake on at stop lights and always be aware of the speed limit LOL

Thanks for the tips, its greatly appreciated. I haven't riden a lot since getting my license, so hopefully I don't have too many bad habits.

Brantford does indeed have a motorcycle drive test center, I just recently booked my roadtest for the end of June

During the test when you come to a stop are you required to stay in first gear with front break applied and both feet flat on the floor?

Or can you have your right foot on the back break?

During the test when you come to a stop are you required to stay in first gear with front break applied and both feet flat on the floor?

Or can you have your right foot on the back break?

While at a stop keep your right foot on the back brake. Bike in first gear.

While at a stop keep your right foot on the back brake. Bike in first gear.

that was one thing that i wasn't sure was important or not, but just go back to your m1 exit and remember what your instructor aalways said, keep your right foot on the back brake and left foot down. and of course always dp your shoulder checks.

I've decided to go with RTI at the newmarket location for my m2 exit,

good luck to you and passing your test ! :)

Take a piece of masking tape and tape a cross on the center back of your helmet if its one colour helps the examiner see you moving your head around

Thanks for the answer above. Couple more questions.

When you come to red light or in general, are you supposed to be stopped with 1st gear engaged with the clutch pressed in. I think that's what I remember from the M1 course. Think the idea is that if there is something coming from behind you you are ready to go. Correct?

Till what point are you expected to follow the ramp speed. Say speed is 40km but you have to merge at 100km. So at what point do you speed from 40 to 100 to merge safely, without getting docked for speeding?

correct - 1st gear - ready to roll.

if the posted ramp sign is yellow - it's a just a suggestion. white and black speed signs must be obeyed.

your speed limit is whatever the speed limit is of the road you are driving on - it's up to you to decide what speed you need to merge without breaking that limit.

Thanks for the answer above. Couple more questions.

When you come to red light or in general, are you supposed to be stopped with 1st gear engaged with the clutch pressed in. I think that's what I remember from the M1 course. Think the idea is that if there is something coming from behind you you are ready to go. Correct?

Till what point are you expected to follow the ramp speed. Say speed is 40km but you have to merge at 100km. So at what point do you speed from 40 to 100 to merge safely, without getting docked for speeding?

1- In first gear clutch in

2- just remember that they are in a car that has a lot less acceleration than a bike. Just be reasonable.

One more interesting question. Making a left turn at a green light that does not provide you with an advance turn signal.

Are you supposed to stay behind the white line until it's clear for you and the instructor to go. Because waiting behind the white line could be a traffic violation as you are required to move into the intersection.

Or do you just move into the intersection on green. I am worried about waiting for it to be safe to turn and the lights turning yellow and being stuck in the middle of the traffic. Or making the yellow and being failed for that.

One more interesting question. Making a left turn at a green light that does not provide you with an advance turn signal.

Are you supposed to stay behind the white line until it's clear for you and the instructor to go. Because waiting behind the white line could be a traffic violation as you are required to move into the intersection.

Or do you just move into the intersection on green. I am worried about waiting for it to be safe to turn and the lights turning yellow and being stuck in the middle of the traffic. Or making the yellow and being failed for that.

If they follow you into the intersection you could fail them....Homer did it with Patty and Selma for being "ugly" - 1000000 points.

You're only supposed to stay behind the white line, if there's another vehicle in front of you (waiting to take a left turn). I wouldn't worry about the testers having enough time to turn left with you. Just worry about yourself getting through the left turn safely. If the testers get a yellow/red (and you've already turned), they'll just radio for you to pull over until they've caught up to you.

I almost did when I took my M a couple times, once during a left turn then ended up running it, and once in traffic. They asked me to do a lane change then the guy in front of them braked hard so i ended up a couple cars ahead of them in the next lane. I didn't mean to lose them but they were pretty good about it.

Back
Top Bottom