Did the 1/4 mile... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Did the 1/4 mile...

stevestang

Well i was bored last night so i decided to take a ride to cayuga to TMP to see what i could get my bike to do.
I have never dragged my bike before, and have not practised taking off fast. And my runs proved it:
I made 4 passes, first one sucked but it was my first ever time doing it on my bike.
60'.... 2.5s
1/4.... 13.24
mph... 112.3

second pass:
60'....2.3sec
1/4... 12.93
mph... 116.8

next pass:
60'.... 2.5sec
1/4... 12.54
mph.... 121.29

I was gradually gettin better, but my 60 foot times suck, i really need to better my launching ability. It was fun, might go back sometime.
the bike is a 1998 zx7r. let me know what ya think, anyone else do it?

I went down to TMP on friday night one time last season. My best time was an 11.15, can't remember the MPH though. 04 636

Friday night at the soar rounds some of us head over to the strip. Great way to practice your starts. Can't remember my best time, but I think it was high 11's. My 60ft was decent, but my reaction times suck ***. Best part is the return road :). Just make sure you have a tail light for after dark. stock harness is still on my bike, so I just got a trailer light from princess auto and wired it in. Kinda fun, and different than road racing, but my I lose interest after 5-6 passes. I'd love to light the fire on something alot faster than my clapped out 95 F3.

A few years ago, I ran my 86 VFR: 12.9 @ ~115.

I would like to go back again. When are you going to be going back?

Well i was bored last night so i decided to take a ride to cayuga to TMP to see what i could get my bike to do.
I have never dragged my bike before, and have not practised taking off fast. And my runs proved it:
I made 4 passes, first one sucked but it was my first ever time doing it on my bike.
60'.... 2.5s
1/4.... 13.24
mph... 112.3

second pass:
60'....2.3sec
1/4... 12.93
mph... 116.8

next pass:
60'.... 2.5sec
1/4... 12.54
mph.... 121.29

I was gradually gettin better, but my 60 foot times suck, i really need to better my launching ability. It was fun, might go back sometime.
the bike is a 1998 zx7r. let me know what ya think, anyone else do it?

Did you only make 4 passes because it was busy, or by choice?
Post up when you're going again. I usually get out a couple times a month, but Wednesday nights are my favorite and they don't start until next month (last time I looked)
Your numbers were good, considering it was your 1st time out.
You'll get used to using 'full throttle' and that will cut your 60' times to high 1's or a 2.0xx and you'll see a noticable better 1/4 mile time, and probably 130mph, or better.
Always fun times.

How was tech inspection this year regarding gear?
Several riders that haven't been out don't know the stipulations, and the boys at Cayuga change the rules daily.
I wear full gear all the time now, since I had to duct tape my ankles one night.

Did you only make 4 passes because it was busy, or by choice?
Post up when you're going again. I usually get out a couple times a month, but Wednesday nights are my favorite and they don't start until next month (last time I looked)
Your numbers were good, considering it was your 1st time out.
You'll get used to using 'full throttle' and that will cut your 60' times to high 1's or a 2.0xx and you'll see a noticable better 1/4 mile time, and probably 130mph, or better.
Always fun times.

How was tech inspection this year regarding gear?
Several riders that haven't been out don't know the stipulations, and the boys at Cayuga change the rules daily.
I wear full gear all the time now, since I had to duct tape my ankles one night.

It wasnt that busy maybe 25 other cars there, i was the only bike. Los of civics and neons, few challengers and stangs. I just chose to do the 4 passes, and stayed for about 45 mins. I could have done more but wanted to get to hamilton.
The tech just asked for my slip from the gate looked at me and said "you look good" lol. Then asked me what number i wanted on my windshield. But the only gear i had on was my JR leather jacket, gloves and obviously helmet. I was wearing jeans and running shoes. But after my first run i was approached and said next time i better come in shoes that cover the ankles or i wont be allowed to run. I thought this when i was close to the track, but didnt wanna turn around and go back home to get boots, so happy they let me run regardless.
I would like to go back sometime, i wanna get my 60foot time down so i can get an 11 second 1/4.

rev it to 9 grand, lay over the tank and let the clutch go! if you get to 11.5 with your zx7 dont expect it to get much faster without highly modifying it :) fun bikes though i might buy another one this summer..

let me know when u guys head out again.im in for a wednsday or friday night meet.I dont expect any super fast time considering its my first time drag racing a bike.I have to figure out how the best way to launch my bike.either way im asuming my trap speed should still be in the 130-135mph mark regardless of e.t so it should be some real fun.
oh yeah im riding a 03 gsxr 1000.all stock with a bolt on M4 can

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind hitting the 1/4, went a few times last year and started getting the hang of launching the bike.

Getting a good 60 ft is key. A buddy of mine had a 91 zx7 (full pipe + jet kid, dynoed 107 rwhp) and he ran a 11.2 @ 122 mph with a 1.6 60 ft.

my trap speed should still be in the 130-135mph mark regardless of e.t so it should be some real fun.
oh yeah im riding a 03 gsxr 1000.all stock with a bolt on M4 can

Expect more than that! Your bike makes way more power than my R1 and I trapped north of 135 mph (and I was too chicken back then to go wot until 3rd :)

HI fellows i race a2000 zx7 in sydney, i ended last year best 10.85. been back there twice since 1st time got 2 runs
then it rained 1,698 60 ft 10.87 week after got 6 runs best 10.69 best 60ft 1.684.stock bike strapped no fairings
arrows system. wheighed in 206.75kgs

i've ran an old FZ 750 for years posting consistant 11.40's @ 116 mph with a 60' of about 1.8's. just got my 1000 late last summer, been the strip twice now & am pulling 10.40's @ 135 mph with 60's of 1.7's. the trick is keeping the front end down in first gear...lol. love the 5 valve motors!! anyone heading to grand bend for bike day on the 16th??

ZX7's are fun bikes too, I miss mine! Never did the quarter mile, but I have practiced launching it. It will power wheelie if you're not careful! :)

we'll get you down yet bluerider. i'm thinking a test & tune at st.thomas late summer. but you gotta go to grand bend on bike day. one more time watching it & seeing how it's done & i think you'll be ready. don't worry, i'll be gentle...lol. NOT!!! lol.

went and did a sunday test and tune at sparta sunday with a great group of soar racers sunday. my best run:

3qtPc.jpg

I did 24 runs in total, three of them under 11 seconds. most were around 11.1

Nice run! What was your launch technique?

went and did a sunday test and tune at sparta sunday with a great group of soar racers sunday. my best run:
I did 24 runs in total, three of them under 11 seconds. most were around 11.1

Is St. Thomas still 20 feet shorter than TMP? I recall that being the case 10+ years ago when I used to run my car out there...

Back
Top Bottom