Step by Step guide from getting your licence to buying your bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Step by Step guide from getting your licence to buying your bike

Let's say you bought a bike and you don't have a truck. If you have insurance, can you register it and get a temporary license, so you can drive it to get the safety done and then get plates?

Last edited:
Great thread and just what I needed as a newb. But the first link of the 4 training schools doesn't work...?

Is it possible to obtain ownership papers?? I have a dirt bike that I have drive around my farm, and I would like to now make it street legal, when origionaly purchased I didn't get ownership papers, is it to late? If so is there anyway I can still license and insure it?

Dan Kapty Murray
1.0 normal
1.0 fire
0.1 spinner
0.1 pastel
0.1 butter pastel
0.1 cinnamon
0.1 pastave

1.0 bull snake

Is it possible to obtain ownership papers?? I have a dirt bike that I have drive around my farm, and I would like to now make it street legal, when origionaly purchased I didn't get ownership papers, is it to late? If so is there anyway I can still license and insure it?

Dan Kapty Murray
1.0 normal
1.0 fire
0.1 spinner
0.1 pastel
0.1 butter pastel
0.1 cinnamon
0.1 pastave

1.0 bull snake

Depends on the type of "dirt bike" it is If it is a true "dirt bike" then it may be eligible for GREEN plates, (which can NOT be used on a road), but can be used on trails, crown land, private property, (other than your own WITH written permission), all of which require insurance. If it is dual sport, (Road/off road bike), then it can be registered. I believe you require a notarized statement that the bike is owned by you, for the MTO then of course insurance follows.

Ok, thanks for the quick response, one more stupid question, being new to bikes, always been an atv guy. What is the difference between a true dirtbike and a dual sport?

Dan Kapty Murray
1.0 normal
1.0 fire
0.1 spinner
0.1 pastel
0.1 butter pastel
0.1 cinnamon
0.1 pastave

1.0 bull snake

True dirt bike-think jeep with mudders on. Dual sport is more like a SUV. May do job but...

Can't you just ask for ownership?

I did, the guy I bought it from doesn't have it either, he bought it for the same thing just around the farm so he never got it either

Dan Kapty Murray
1.0 normal
1.0 fire
0.1 spinner
0.1 pastel
0.1 butter pastel
0.1 cinnamon
0.1 pastave

1.0 bull snake

Potentially a really simple question here but I'm new to both bikes and Canada! My friend has sold me his bike, I have my m2 license and will have insurance on the bike from Friday but I haven't registered it in my name yet as I don't have the safety certificate. Can I legally ride to the mechanic to get it safetied then to a service ontario centre to transfer the ownership to me? Thanks

Edit: Failing that I have his insurance docs and he says it's fine with him to use those, is that legal?

Potentially a really simple question here but I'm new to both bikes and Canada! My friend has sold me his bike, I have my m2 license and will have insurance on the bike from Friday but I haven't registered it in my name yet as I don't have the safety certificate. Can I legally ride to the mechanic to get it safetied then to a service ontario centre to transfer the ownership to me? Thanks

Edit: Failing that I have his insurance docs and he says it's fine with him to use those, is that legal?

You can go to Service Ontario (in a car) and transfer the title into your name and get a 10 day temp sticker while you go get it safetied.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

I'm new to Ontario-- is there Sales Tax charged on person-to-person used motorbike sales? And if so, how does that money get collected? Thanks!

I'm new to Ontario-- is there Sales Tax charged on person-to-person used motorbike sales? And if so, how does that money get collected? Thanks!

I think the sales tax is collected when you go register your vehicle at the ontario service centre. You can write the amount for the bike on the uvip package where it has a bill of sale section and that is the amount they will tax.

I have a question. if i am buying a bike, and have not yet registered it under my name, is it possible that the current owner certifies the bike and i can use that certificate when i go for the registration?because the certificate will be issued under his name. or do i have to register it under my name first and then go for certifying it? the whole point of me wanting to get it certified before registration is that i want to know that there is nothing wrong with the bike and if there is i shouldnt continue with this transaction.

It will go off the vin. Current owner can sell to you certified. You can use that cert for 30(?) days. Or 15 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a long hiatus I've come to check on this thread. Its been 4 yrs since any updates were made so I've updated most of the links and some content. If I missed anything or info is wrong let me know and I'll make the change (whenever i check this again)

Last edited:
Aside from straight up cash.. what are some alternative ways to pay?

Bank draft, e transfer, paypal. But cash rules. I won't sell you anything if it's not plastic cash in my hand. Paper bills too easy to counterfeit.

Back
Top Bottom