Ultimate 08 R6 HID Install Guide! No cutting wires! No bodywork removal!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ultimate 08 R6 HID Install Guide! No cutting wires! No bodywork removal!!

toysareforboys

Banned
Site Supporter
Ok, so reading this guide: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77031

I'm like, no f'ing way I'm cutting the high voltage bulb wires and splicing them back together (ask me why not, damn neon kits :()! Also, if it's a plug and play kit why the hell is he cutting the factory wiring harness adapter and soldering it to the HID kit!??!

Then I read: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86606 and I'm like, that's a little better. Then I read this guys post: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1516543&postcount=102 and I'm like WTF was anyone else thinking!??!

So, here is my ultimate 08 R6 HID kit install guide. This guide is for people who want a totally hidden kit (i.e. not running wires through your dust cap) and to do it without cutting any wires. It will allow you to install your HID kit SUPER FAST without removing ANY bodywork (other then the two wiring covers) and most importantly, without cutting or soldering or messing with any factory bike wiring or others! The kit will be TOTALLY hidden with NO wires visible when we are done.

Mechanical difficulty: 2/10.
Electrical knowledge required: 1/10
Total install time including both sides: 45 mins

Tools:
Allen key from your factory toolkit to remove two upper wiring covers
Scissors
Black UV rated zip ties
Some sharp type of prodding tool. Thick paperclip sharpened on one end, etc.
Lube (KY, WD40, etc.)
Phillips screwdriver (optional)
Electrical tape (optional)

Here we go!

The HID kit: DUAL DDM digital 55watt 3,000k H7 kit (one for high beam, one for low beam).

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

I'm starting on the high beam side for no particular reason.

1. Remove the factory wiring cover. The two black allen bolts and there are two clips opposite the bolts that help hold on the cover too. Just pull straight up and it'll unclip. Then remove the headlight dust cover (twist counter clockwise to unlock). Disconnect the blue connector just below the headlight assembly. Use your prodding tool to unclip the pins in the connector. After the pins are out of the connector, lube up the two wires and pull them back through the rubber grommet in the bottom of the headlight assembly. You can also pull the grommet out now because we will need to enlarge the two holes in it slightly (it WILL come out the front, just pull hard ;).

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Once the wires are free of the headlight assembly, re-assemble the blue connector on the end. It doesn't matter which wire goes where.

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

2. Carefully cut the rubber grommet off the HID kit bulb and power wires. Be extra careful not to knick the high voltage wires (the ones coming from the bulb):

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

3. Now comes the hard part. We need to de-pin both of the bulb connectors. Start by removing the little red plastic piece you can see here:

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Just pull hard on it, use pliers if you have to. Once it is out use some type of thin pointed sharp thing to stick in the exact spot where the red thing was and at the back is a square black plastic part. You need to "lift" it up to allow the wire/pin to come out. You'll hear a "click" when you've got it. It helps to keep a LITTLE bit of pressure on the wire/connector so you can feel when it's released. Once it's released it comes out REALLY easy, so don't pull hard!!!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Now, for the part that has the round connector, it's extra tricky. I bent the end of my sharp prodding tool into an L shape. The red plastic thing you need to remove is INSIDE the connector! There's a little gap where I could just fit my L shaped proddy thing, then pull and SNAP, out comes the little red thing (hopefully not flying across your room :().

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Once the red thing is out shine a flashlight in there so you know what you're looking at. The long leg of the red thing went in and pushed on the exact same black plastic block setup as the 1st connector. You need to stick something in there and "lift" it up so the pin can come out. Super hard, I know. When you are done you should have:

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

4. Next I enlarged the two holes in the rubber grommet by heating up the smooth part of a 1/8" drill bit until red hot then slide it into the holes. This will stop the yellow rubber water seal from getting damaged when you pull the bulb wires through. Use lots of lube on the bulb wires and on the rubber grommet. Remove your factory headlight bulb and install the HID bulb. Make super duper sure you don't touch the bulb glass. If you do use 99% rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth to clean it. Once the bulb is installed and clamped down (**NOTE: You do NOT use the funky plastic part with the four posts that comes attached to the bulb from DDM) then run the wires out of the bottom hole where the grommet use to be (i hope you have small fingers). Once the wires are out and well lubed push them through the holes in the grommet. Once they are through enough you can GENTLY grab the pin part with pliers and pull it the rest of the way through. Then re-insert the grommet. I know I know, it's almost impossible. I used scissors to bevel the back of the grommet to allow it to fit easier back into the hole. I also used a small flat head screw driver to "tuck" the edges all the way around, and then it just goes "click" and seats in.

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Now re-assemble the connectors on the bulb wires. Use the reverse process you used to take them apart (push the wire in until it clicks, then snap in red plastic thing, same for both).

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Last edited:
5. Now comes the fun part!!! LETS TEST IT! Plug the stock wiring harness adapter (that thing you removed the blue plug from and put it back on) back into the blue plug below the headlight assembly. This part is important because I forgot to take a pic of it. The power assembly that was with the HID bulb that you cut free from the rubber grommet, each "blade" plugs into the factory headlight harness adapter. Just push the blade into the headlight connector, it doesn't matter right now which one goes where. Plug the ballast high voltage wires into the bulb high voltage wires. THAT'S IT! YOUR HID KIT IS DONE! Well except for the mounting :)

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Time for the test. Follow these instructions EXACTLY!

-Make sure your high beam switch is OFF
-Start the motorcycle (actually start it, don't just turn the key on).
-Let it run for 60 seconds.
-Click the highbeam switch on.
BOOM! You should have wonderful glorious HID brightness :)

IF NOT, TURN THE HIGH BEAM SWITCH OFF THEN TURN THE BIKE OFF, switch around the two spade connectors that you slid into the headlight connector a second ago (unplug them, and plug them in to the opposite slot it was in). Sorry that I forgot to take pics of this :( Repeat the test from the beginning, make sure to let the motorcycle run for 60 seconds or LONGER on the second test before clicking the highbeam switch on, etc.

OMG IT WORKS!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

6. Now you have to mount it. I won't hold your hand here, the hard part is done. I prefer zip ties over two sided tape or velcro any day! The DDM digital 55w ballast fit perfectly in the space between the bottom of the headlight assembly and the radiator air duct bodywork (same on both sides). I then zip tied the igniter (black box with the high voltage wires going to bulb) to the plastic tab that already had something zip tied to it from the factory (perfect spot). I zip tied the ballast to the wiring harness by the white tie that's screwed to the bodywork under the headlight assembly.

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

(toggle switch is for the heated grips :))

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Wow, so clean :)

Now, for the other side (low beam), wash, rinse, repeat.

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

OMG DUAL HID'S!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Sweeeeeeeeet.

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
ha ha ha... great job man..!!! i can't wait to see it during the night... some nice chick photo shoot would be nice... get one of your regular 2upers to celebrate..!!! (or if you want to show us a new 2up, can be work :D)

Enjoy it..!!

cheers

Juan.

Thanks. I'm heading to KC right now if any peeps wanna see em :)

Will see if I can convince Michelle to do an on-the-spot photo shoot ;)

Juan, come see her eyes!

-Jamie M.

i might show up... :D

Thanks. I'm heading to KC right now if any peeps wanna see em :)

Will see if I can convince Michelle to do an on-the-spot photo shoot ;)

Juan, come see her eyes!

-Jamie M.

Hey toysforboys.. Good write up and it's going to definitely help others in installing the kit.

This is just my opinion but your steps look a little more teadous than what I did on my 03 r6. I drilled a hole through the dust cap and just ran the wires through it. I used the supplied rubber gorment as a sealant and i have a plastic piece that goes over the cap and hides all the wires for me.

Regardless the lights look awesome ... Perhap's you should also look into rewiring hi/lo after couple of years :p... that way you will have both the lights running..

Well, I jsut looked at the link and it seems like it's hell a lot easier to install hid's in r6s's..

This is just my opinion but your steps look a little more teadous than what I did on my 03 r6. I drilled a hole through the dust cap and just ran the wires through it.
Yeah, whops. I forgot to mention that. This install guide is for people who want a totally hidden kit (i.e. not running wires through your dust cap) and to do it without cutting any wires :)

Through the dust cap is much easier of course ;)

-Jamie M.

Actually, in r6s's there is no need to cut any wires and the dust caps are hidden with the side plastic pieces. I don't know what it's called.. I will post pictures later...

Regardless bike looks hot now ;) :D..

Yeah, whops. I forgot to mention that. This install guide is for people who want a totally hidden kit (i.e. not running wires through your dust cap) and to do it without cutting any wires :)

Through the dust cap is much easier of course ;)

-Jamie M.

This guide seems very simple EXCEPT for the black clips inside that need to be lifted. I've tried for 30 minutes to "lift" the black clip inside either connector on the bulb with no success. I've used a light and magnifying and can't even find this clip. I'm working blind.

Could you please elaborate more as to how to lift these clips? What exactly do you mean by lift? Where do I put the shaft of my pick tool and which way do I angle the pick to lift the clip?

Thanks in advance. This guide is great. I just hope I can get these clips undone so I don't have to revert to a guide that requires cutting/soldering.

is it legal to drive with 3,000k ?

Could you please elaborate more as to how to lift these clips?
It probably took me 45 mins to get the first two connectors off. On the 2nd bulb, took me 2 mins.

If your tool is sharp enough, bent the tip slightly, stick it hard into the black tab, and give it a little twist while pulling on the wire, click, out it comes.

If your tool is thin enough, you can push it in there hard, then try and pivot it to lift the black square away from the pin, again, keep a little pressure on the wire.

Where do you live? I don't mind if you bring your bulbs over and I'll de-pin em for ya.

-Jamie M.

is it legal to drive with 3,000k ?
If you consider them amber, not yellow, then maybe.

I think the only officially legal colour to drive with is 4,500k

-Jamie M.

It probably took me 45 mins to get the first two connectors off. On the 2nd bulb, took me 2 mins.

If your tool is sharp enough, bent the tip slightly, stick it hard into the black tab, and give it a little twist while pulling on the wire, click, out it comes.

If your tool is thin enough, you can push it in there hard, then try and pivot it to lift the black square away from the pin, again, keep a little pressure on the wire.

Where do you live? I don't mind if you bring your bulbs over and I'll de-pin em for ya.

-Jamie M.

I was using an actual pick set but haven't had luck. Maybe I'll try to use a large paper clip and try to shape it like your tool. It's also difficult because I'm not sure if I should be lifting straight up as if I am pulling something out of the connector.

I live in Virginia.

how yellow are they in person compared to regular halogen???

how yellow are they in person compared to regular halogen???
I'm sure some other peeps can vouch, but Halogen, pretend they are ORANGE, compared to these, these ones are absolute pure yellow, just like yellow LED's.

They look absolutely totally different then Halogen.

Pic:
brightlights.jpg

And if I didn't say it already, WHOLY CRAP can you ever see good at night! Even with my Blue Chrome visor, I can see amazing! WOOT!

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
Thank you for this tutorial!
I have done it to my headunit as well today!
Probably the first Dutch guy with this install ;)

Here some tips from my side:

- Use a long paperclip and your pliers to fix this.
- Flatten your paperclip by hammering on it (makes it easier to push the caps in order to remove your wires etc.)

- After replacing your original bulb with the HID, run the two wires through the rubber thing. Then get your cables through the hole (use your pliers to pull). After that, you can easely pull the rubber through the hole, instead of pushing it in again.

- Before connecting the connectors again, test your Xenon by just clicking all parts together (without connectors then of course). I have tested them on my car, since that has Xenon as well (using the car's ballasts etc.)

Hope this will help all the others as well!

Hope this will help all the others as well!
Thanks for the info. Like the idea about hammering the end of the paperclip to make it nice and thin to fit in the connector to de-pin it =)

-Jamie M.

In addition to this, and if you do want to cut some wires, you could do the following:

- Cables from your ballast directly in the blue connector, instead of reconnecting the black and blue connectors like in step 1.

This is what I did in order to do more direct wiring (cutting required).

Last edited:
Does it matter if you change + and - ?
I do not know which is which at the moment, but I am afraid to damage the HID bulbs.

Did you measure before connecting everything?

Back
Top Bottom