Wiring LED plate bolts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wiring LED plate bolts

shaolin

This is probably a silly question but it can't hurt to ask. How do you wire in 2 led license plate bolts/holder. The bolts have a red and black wire and my 2009 gsxr600 has a gray and black wire. Do I connect the 2 red wires to the gray wire from the bike and the 2 black wires to the black wire from the bike? This is what I am installing.

8630.jpg

I just did this....cut the connector and expose some wire....turn the bike on and just test it...most likely your solid black will be the actual black ground....touch both wires and see if it lights up....

Also double check that the bolt led actually fits through the existing lisence plate holes....mine didnt and i had to drill a larger hole in my plate.

wire it up to your runiing light from the tail section.

if you need help pm me.

Thanks guys. I am planning on wiring it into the existing license plate light wires (already cut by previous owner). From what andrewp said it should light up if i touch the right wires together. What if i touch the wrong ones together? Blow the led? blow a fuse?

Does this count as a license plate light?

I took mine out and I've never been caught but I wouldn't mind hooking these up just to be kosher again.

By normal convention, black is ground, red is positive. Some LED's require correct polarity (I have no idea about these particular ones) but all that happens if you have them reversed, is that they don't work.

I used those very same bolts, no issues I just hated cutting into the existing wiring.

OP, I mixed it up the first time....split second...i heard the wires spark/arc...but nothing happened....they work just as well...so i mean i highly doubt you will mess something up.

Thanks everybody. I have taken my bike apart right now while waiting for a fairing stay. Hopefully I get that today and I can put everything back together and wire this in. I will let you all now how it goes either way.

yes it is legal.

i have had them. they are a great idea.

the law states..... every licence plate needs its own seperate licence plate light.

Last edited:
the law states..... every licence plate needs its own seperate licence plate light.

No it doesn't.

Many motorcycle tail lights have a red lens, with a clear bottom.... and the light from the tail lamp illuminates that license plate light, so long as the plate is mounted in the correct position.

there is no need for a separate/dedicated light in those cases.

I'm going through the whole plate-light problem myself so I am interested in these.

So basically the light is attached to the bolt and then that stainless nut-type thing (that directs the light) screws over top of it? Just want to confirm that's how it works because on my application I'll need to take the whole tail end apart to get at the other side of where my plate will bolt on.

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone else....

You replace whatever it is bolting your license plate on with these the light is the bolt. They are 2 pieces, the light/shiney bit and the plastic nut.

No it doesn't.

Many motorcycle tail lights have a red lens, with a clear bottom.... and the light from the tail lamp illuminates that license plate light, so long as the plate is mounted in the correct position.

there is no need for a separate/dedicated light in those cases.

see that`s kind of valid, and that`s what I`ve been doing for the past 2 seasons, but this season I decided to add 3 leds above it too (even though my plate is positioned that it gets lit by the red of my tail lights)....reason being, i`ve heard stories from both sides where it works and doesn`t...it`s shades of grey and really all depends on how big of a prick the officer is when they pull you over...15$ install versus time being pulled over + ticket + time wasted fighting the ticket in court + any other hassles...seems like a decent trade off. It`s all upto you in the end I suppose.

see that`s kind of valid, and that`s what I`ve been doing for the past 2 seasons, but this season I decided to add 3 leds above it too (even though my plate is positioned that it gets lit by the red of my tail lights)....reason being, i`ve heard stories from both sides where it works and doesn`t...it`s shades of grey and really all depends on how big of a prick the officer is when they pull you over...15$ install versus time being pulled over + ticket + time wasted fighting the ticket in court + any other hassles...seems like a decent trade off. It`s all upto you in the end I suppose.

I was referring to OEM motorcycle tail lamps.

Like this, 2007 Suzi GS500f

All OEM lighting, no license plate light.

There is a clear lens at the bottom of the brake/tail lamp, that illuminates the plate. It's perfectly legal, by any provincial or federal standard.
There is a total of 4 bulbs on the back of the bike. 2 tail/brake/license plate lights, and 2 turn signals.

cleargq.jpg

Does the color of the led matter? For legal purpose.
Yes, has to be white.

Back
Top Bottom