Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! | Page 38 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

Yes, I get the LRL, but how far back behind us are we expected to turn our heads? Just the same as in the course? I wish I could find out. lol

passed my m2 exit in aurora today with 4 errors. Route was the same posted with the left turn after the train tracks off of wellington. Just do exactly what this thread lists and youll be fine

I've read almost this entire thread, some of it kind of quick. Didn't see this question addressed, so here goes. In the course, they had us check behind to the right and to the left every time we stopped, and again when we took off off from a stop. Is this required in the M2 Exit test? I check my mirrors all the time when I'm stopping, but I don't make exageratted head movements. Is it required?

In the basic course, you were taught to do shoulder checks when you stopped and before you moved off. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you didn't have mirrors.
If you take an M2 Exit course, you'll learn about traffic and mirror checks that take the place of those. Mirror checks as you approach stuff, traffic (L-R-L) as you get closer. If you approach an intersection, your goal is to see as much as you can before you enter it. Most often we can't see very far, but the point is that it's better see what you can than to not look at all. Looking as you cross the line into the intersection is too late. Shaking your head like a dog with bone when you're still 50 metres away is probably not effective.

Having just passed my M I have a few suggestions

They expect you to turn your head every time the handle bars are turned. For example

You come to a stop and want to turn right... As you come to a stop you should check your mirrors.. Then do L-R-L... As you move to execute the turn you need to shoulder check and once the turn is completed another mirror check.

For a left hand turn in a through intersection... Mirror check ....L-R-L.. Shoulder check and mirror check

The shoulder check right before the turn are very awkward and i lost a lot of points

3eruhy3y.jpg

Having just passed my M I have a few suggestions

They expect you to turn your head every time the handle bars are turned. For example

You come to a stop and want to turn right... As you come to a stop you should check your mirrors.. Then do L-R-L... As you move to execute the turn you need to shoulder check and once the turn is completed another mirror check.

For a left hand turn in a through intersection... Mirror check ....L-R-L.. Shoulder check and mirror check

The shoulder check right before the turn are very awkward and i lost a lot of points

That's actually a pretty good score. The alarming thing this that you made the same mistake so many times after being coached on exactly that skill. I hope the instructor pointed out again how important it is that you get that right.

Just passed at the Aurora location this morning, reading this thread definitely helped! Only got 4 marks off :)

Just passed in brantford few marks off.

I was in the wrong tire track coming off the highway when turning back onto the surface street
Didnt check a blind spot once on a right turn and on a lane change (but i think i did im pretty anal with regular driving about that)
Failed to look at a few hazards apparently.

TBH i thought it was the most sloppy terrible ride i have had since i started riding. Was surprised when he said i passed.

One tip if like me you have weird shaped ears and earbuds don't fit think about taping it. I had it fall out on me during the test!

Just passed in brantford few marks off.

I was in the wrong tire track coming off the highway when turning back onto the surface street
Didnt check a blind spot once on a right turn and on a lane change (but i think i did im pretty anal with regular driving about that)
Failed to look at a few hazards apparently.

TBH i thought it was the most sloppy terrible ride i have had since i started riding. Was surprised when he said i passed.

One tip if like me you have weird shaped ears and earbuds don't fit think about taping it. I had it fall out on me during the test!

You have to make your head movements very pronounced, during the test, rather than swivelling your eyes. The tester can only pick up head movements, not eyes, and it's a good practise at any rate.

You have to make your head movements very pronounced, during the test, rather than swivelling your eyes. The tester can only pick up head movements, not eyes, and it's a good practise at any rate.

Yea i was aware and did that but its easy to forget to do it for the full 45 mins

Got my M today in Burlington. I had a few marks against me. I couldn't believe that I would miss those few little things that I make a practice of doing all the time. I guess I was a bit rattled, knowing I was on the test. I left my signal on when I pulled away from the road side stop, for one. All in all, it was pretty good, and I'm just glad that all my tests are behind me until I turn 80... lol Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it was an invaluable tool.

Got my M today in Burlington...

Congratulations L.! Good for you! :) Yes, I was definitely all rattled when I went for mine too; lost a few marks also. But, as you said, tests are behind us now, until we turn 80. I wonder which bikes we'll be riding then? ;)

Today morning, I passed my test at Brampton:) hooray!! I was stressed not just due to the test but also because of the weather. Forecast was rain and thundershowers, thankfully, at the time of the test, there wasn't any. Examiner was very nice, explained the rules & emergency stopping, asked me just to follow the rules. Putting on the earpiece was a little problematic, hearing was good on the regular roads, but very difficult on the highway. Same route as shared before in the thread. Got dinged 10 points in total. In hindsight, it wasn't too difficult. Thanks for the thread, helped me a lot.

Excellent thread. I read approx 16 pages last night and did the road test today, passed with only 7 mistakes. This thread cleared up a question I was having about the proper tire track in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway and that is the middle lane does not have a specific proper tire track, either can be used.

Too bad I wasn't able to speak with the motorcyclist that tested after me in order to share the experience, he didn't pass. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

Passed in Oshawa last week. No mistakes on the run but he had to give me something so he decided to give 2 mistakes due to an integrated tail lights...hard to see brake light and turn signals at a distance on the 401.

Took the test last Friday at Downsview and passed.

I got dinged for 10 errors in total, 9 of them being not looking at stuff (guess my head movements weren't obvious enough) and one was not flashing my brakes when downshifting on the 401 offramp at Keele. I could have sworn I made every head movement to look at every single driveway/intersection I passed, checked my left blindspot through right turns, etc. but I somehow got dinged for a bunch anyway. Still, easily passed if you just try to make your head movements obvious, do all the basic course MSF stuff we were taught, etc.

Rider who was tested right before me clearly failed. Saw the examiner asking him which tire track he should be in when in the left turn lane waiting to turn, and he said 'left'. I guess he never took any MSF courses.

Should add that examiner was a nice guy, the headset stayed in place with the tape even though it felt like it was falling off, and had no trouble hearing the examiner at any point. Also make sure your blinkers are on for the roadside stop.

Last edited:
Took the test last Friday at Downsview and passed.

I got dinged for 10 errors in total, 9 of them being not looking at stuff (guess my head movements weren't obvious enough) and one was not flashing my brakes when downshifting on the 401 offramp at Keele.

Congrats!! Too bad you didn't read my tip from a few pages ago ;)

Useful tip : the Downsview testers want to see you FLASH your brake light as you slow down and exit the 401.

It's that time of year again. Just did my M2 Exit at Downsview. Pass with only 3 errors. Thread helped for sure.

I think people here have said it. If you can ride, you will pass. The only thing I worked on was my head turning skills. I tend to only look with my eyes.

2 days before, I exclusively practised exaggerated head movements... even when I was walking (looked at every street, driveway, crosswalk, etc.). Every 10 seconds I would turn my head left and right. Muscle memory kicked in.

After the test, the guy complimented me on my observation skills... haha.

Route is still the same as earlier mentioned in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom