FZR"400" project build | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZR"400" project build

That's it-you guys have me jealous!
I am starting to look for an FZR400 frame now. If it's that easy to get an SRAD rear end on, then I can do a hollow rear axle no problem, and can tow my trailer with it.
A YZF motor in there, 90-100 hp, 15-50 gearing oughtta make it get up and go. And I have an USD front end that was taken off of a YZF600 superbike, so it might bolt right up to an FZR frame...and it's got a Marchesini Magnesium wheel on it to boot!

350 lbs would be lot of fun.

I am starting to look for an FZR400 frame now. If it's that easy to get an SRAD rear end on, then I can do a hollow rear axle no problem, and can tow my trailer with it.
A YZF motor in there, 90-100 hp, 15-50 gearing oughtta make it get up and go. And I have an USD front end that was taken off of a YZF600 superbike, so it might bolt right up to an FZR frame...and it's got a Marchesini Magnesium wheel on it to boot!

If you don't mind the drive I would say this is a steal of a deal.

http://fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5971

Yes it should bolt right in. Got any pics of the front end? I love that kind of stuff.

Freestyle as promised this is the fzr400 project I put together several years ago that is now sold. Its using a yzf600 tank and mostly '02 r6 body work. The finished bike I filled in the holes in the mids with a silver mesh so the frame rails were hidden, and I traded the corbin to an all black seat. Also cleaned up the electrical with a black mesh wrap. can't find those pics however.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Thanks man that looks like it was done very cleanly.

Anyways today between studying for exams I was looking at the swingarm and it uses the same banana style shock linkage as the FZR so that's pretty good news. I fired off a PM to BrianP to see if if he could help me out with maintaining the geometry of the bike.

So far though I think the swingarm is going to be a very promising swap in terms of ease of completion and cost. I mean the total GSXR rear clip has only cost me $150USD shipped with practically brand new rubber on the wheel. And I even got a ss brakeline and gsxr rear master I never asked for!.

The stock damper on the gsxr stuff looks like it's going to work perfectly with the FZR.

But I am wondering should I spring for an Ohlins? I dunno how nervous this bike is going to feel just yet.

I caved and bought an 06 R6 subframe with seats....

I still might try to do the custom subframe route depending on if I feel I want the bike to lose more weight and I dont care about passengers.

Just got delivery of the bike today! The dude was nice enough to bring it all the way from Saskatchewan for me.

photo-79.jpg

photo-78.jpg

photo-77.jpg

photo-76.jpg

photo-75.jpg

photo-74.jpg

Really wish I could keep those Galfer rotors, they are brand new. And I can't use them with my GSXR wheel...:confused1:

So somebody buy them and put them on your yzf600r or R6 or FZR!

Looks nice.

Edit, I would love those rotors but I'm not sure they would work with my current calipers however :(

Last edited:
I just got my 07 R6 subframe... and holy ****. The stock FZR subframe is 13lbs... This one is 4 lbs... And I know the 08 r6 ones are magnesium and are full 1 lb lighter... But I seriously can't believe it's only 4lbs. Let alone 3lbs for the 08+ R6.

So the rad is leaking I just ordered one from the states. Dude had it @$150 and I did best offer and offered him $50 on ebay. And he accepted! woohoo! Gotta install that and then get it safetied.

Also just ordered up a blind hole bearing puller so I can pull my swingarm bearings and I'll use it later on the wheels if I decide to PC.

I have one more exam on Friday and then I am a free man. I will be devoting my free time to this project.

that's too pretty of a bike to cut up.

I am not cutting any of the bike up.

I will be cutting my parts so they fit so it could potentially go back to stock. I know better than to scar an fzr400 permanently.

And even though the retro look is growing on me I still I think I rather do my own thing with it. I am thinking of keeping the plastics and seeing how they look with the USD front and the new swinger. The subframe will be the last mod to make it onto the bike.

Since that seat looks like an R1 seat, I have a tailfairing that you could take off my hands. Name a price and its yours!

Edit: I just seen that it's an R6 subframe. You are welcome to see if the tailfaring will bolt up though.

Last edited:
Since that seat looks like an R1 seat, I have a tailfairing that you could take off my hands. Name a price and its yours!

Edit: I just seen that it's an R6 subframe. You are welcome to see if the tailfaring will bolt up though.

Thanks man I would have loved to but I want to go with the R6 item because I am going for that somewhat anorexic r6 look lol.

shhh don't say things like that, I'm trying to buy all the pretty bodywork off him to replace the rashed race spares on my project.

Back
Top Bottom