FZR"400" project build | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZR"400" project build

I haven't taken any pics yet - was waiting for repaint - and she's on the stand right now slightly in pieces. I have been experimenting with swingarms and rear wheels - have a FZR400 3EN braced swingarm mounted and trying to squeeze in a Ducati 900ss rear wheel which is more readily available than the TZ250, and only slightly heavier.

Riding another FZR400/600 streetfighter that is not so special but which kills in the curves.

Attached is old pic of rolling chassis and hybrid motor.

Attachments

• fzr project rolling chassis 7 23 09.jpg
    fzr project rolling chassis 7 23 09.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 108
Wow that's one clean looking 400 frame. Thank you for posting pictures. I always love to see what other people have done with their projects. As they say. Good artists borrow. Great artists steal.

Great, may also be interested in the rear tire too.

Here's a link to one of my favorite 400 builds, you probably have already seen it, but just in case... http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2783

Hey thanks for the link. I am waiting for an admin to allow my account now. Can't wait to see it. I love a good build thread regardless of the bike.

So a couple decisions have been made for sure now. I purchased a GSXR750 swing arm with pivot calipers axel everything and with super meaty breakpads. I also purchase an 03 GSXR600 rear wheel.

Can't wait to get the stuff in my hands.

I decided that I won't use the 06 07 R6 subframe anymore. I am going to try to make my own subframe and slide some 06 07 R6 plastics over it. I found pictures of a bike with the r6 subframe and even though the welding was clean the lines didn't go well enough with the frame. So I think if I tweak the current frame or build on the stock mount locations it will look better overall and hopefully I can shed a couple pounds that way.

Hey thanks for the link. I am waiting for an admin to allow my account now. Can't wait to see it. I love a good build thread regardless of the bike.
Sorry about that, forgot that you need to sign up.
For those that don't want to, here's the bike. It seems to be under constant re-deveopment.
"Basicly its a fzr 400rrsp frame/ swingarm with a 98 900 fireblade engine."

2008_0105hybrid20002.jpg

To save weight use an SRAD 600 swinger. It doesn't have the bracing, but you won't likely need it with a 100 hp lightweight bike.

To save weight use an SRAD 600 swinger. It doesn't have the bracing, but you won't likely need it with a 100 hp lightweight bike.

Yup definately considered that before. I don't really mind the weight there. Given the cheapness of SRAD600 swing arms I was planning on buying one and prepping it to go in as well at the same time i do my 750 one. I do like the bracing for aesthetic purposes. And even if it puts 5 lbs on the bike. I could stand to lose 5 lbs ahaha.

Yea I love that crazy underseat exhaust, minimalist build too. Mad Max meets Britten.
Not much of a pillion seat though!

Yup definately considered that before. I don't really mind the weight there. Given the cheapness of SRAD600 swing arms I was planning on buying one and prepping it to go in as well at the same time i do my 750 one. I do like the bracing for aesthetic purposes. And even if it puts 5 lbs on the bike. I could stand to lose 5 lbs ahaha.

but you can lose 5 lbs + bike lose 5lbs....total 10lb weight reduction!?

More parts bought

2003 GSXR Alstare rear wheel with sprocket, and rotor and new rubber. This is a 5.5" wheel.
gsxrrearwheel.jpg

1997 GSXR750 aluminum braced swingarm and caliper, axel and pivot bolt. They guy I bought this off of was super cool.
swingarm.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

Going to weigh this and hopefully someone can weigh a gsxr600 swingarm for me.

YZF600 Gas tank. It's a more modern looking tank nice and round as opposed to the stock one which is actually just a plastic cover. As a bonus it has a fuel sending unit which allows for it to give me a low fuel light when gas gets low.
tank3.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I also snatched up a GSXR1000 front fender. So all I am looking for now is a GSXR1000 front wheel and this thing should be on it's way.

looking forward to this bike when its all done.

any new updates with pictures? anything new done to the bike?

looking forward to this bike when its all done.

any new updates with pictures? anything new done to the bike?

Well I was in the states picking up the parts today. The gas tank just got there right after I left too. But my friend might bring it up for me. Took some measurements tonight and the dimensions on the swing arm look very promising. It's looking like I will only need to shave 2.5 millimeters from each side of the swing arm to get it to fit the 400 frame rails. And I won't have to modify my 400 frame at all!!

Also as an added bonus I think I am going to put a steering damper on there since the GSXR forks conveniently have a mount. Shouldn't be hard to adapt to the FZR. And I found an Ohlins for $200. But I am going to wait for my tax return before I start splurging lol.

Probably not too much more will happening until after april 23rd. I have exams from now until then. First exam is on tuesday.

As cool as me though?
Of course not.

You are my favourite person for buying stuff off of.

Weighed some stuff and took some measurements.

96-99 SRAD Swingarm with shock linkage, axel, pivot bolt, brake caliper, and caliper arm weighs exactly 10kg or 22lbs

The 03 GSXR600 rear wheel 5.5"X17 with a dunlop tire, cush, sprocket and rotor on there wieghs 14.8kg or 32.5lbs

05 GSXR600 front end with calipers, damper, controls, Everything on the front end except wheel is 15.6kg or 34.3lbs

Here are the dimensions I measure for the GSXR750 swing arm. I am extremely pleased with it's over all dimensions and it seems to have the same shock linkage type as the FZR I think the stuff may work together very well.

SRADswingermeasure.jpg

Try to run a Busa shock. It's fully adjustable and can be had for cheap (gen1 Busa). You will need to mod the mounts a bit, but check out the project on the Archives.

I am just putting these weights up here so I can remember them later.
3.2KG or 7lbs for my YUASA YTX9-BS.

Thinking about those lightweight batteries. They only weigh 2lbs!

I don't really care about weight THAT much, but I think my goal with this project will be to see if I can get this bike to weigh under 350lbs wet as a naked (so no fairings will save me some wieght too).

Try to run a Busa shock. It's fully adjustable and can be had for cheap (gen1 Busa). You will need to mod the mounts a bit, but check out the project on the Archives.

The bike has a fox twin clicker on it right now. I am going to try and retain that I think. But I will probably have to have it resprung to accommodate change in geometry and stuff i suspect.

I'm about to start a stock FZR400 build (I tried to be done with these neat little bikes after I stopped racing one, I really did). So if you happen to have a pile of stock fizzer bits sitting around collecting dust now....espically a tank cover or other body work toss me a pm :)

I'm about to start a stock FZR400 build (I tried to be done with these neat little bikes after I stopped racing one, I really did). So if you happen to have a pile of stock fizzer bits sitting around collecting dust now....espically a tank cover or other body work toss me a pm :)

OH there will most certainly be a boatload of stock stuff available.

Back
Top Bottom