FZR"400" project build | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZR"400" project build

Freestyle72

Site Supporter
This is the thread devoted to my FZR400 franken bike to be.

Currently the bike has this:
YZF600 carbs with Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit, with 185 main and 35 pilot; custom FZR400 airbox adapted to fit YZF600 carbs
YZF600 rad
Full Engine Ice
R6 header with FMF midpipe/muffler in anodized blue
Fox Twin Clicker rear shock (apparently set up for 160 lbs rider)
Race-Tech 0.85 kg/mm front springs
99-02 R6 calipers, master cylinder with Galfer braided lines
Galfer wave rotors
TZR250 rear wheel (4.5X17)
Modking hydraulic clutch conversion with YZF750 master cylinder
02 R1 dash with speed sensor in crankcase (as per WIKI) - EVERYTHING works, even had the FZR400 fuel tank modified with a YZF600 fuel sensor
Sargent seat (also comes with stock passenger seat)
Sylvania Superstars
Custom painted Zero Gravity windscreen (to emulate the factory black stripe)
Tapeworks graphics
GSX-R1000 mirrors

Looks like this right now.
IMG05380.jpg

IMG05386.jpg

What I would like to add to it:

- 2006+ R6 subframe and tail
- FZR1000 rear swingarm and wheel
- 05 06 GSXG1000 front end
- Triumph speed triple style hedlights

Which I have already paid for.
SANY0125.jpg

SANY0124.jpg

minus the front wheel. I am still looking for a front wheel.

Last edited:
that bike looks too nice to start chopping up. The only thing I would do is change the can, and ride the hell out of it....your bike though, so good luck with the project.

that bike looks too nice to start chopping up. The only thing I would do is change the can, and ride the hell out of it....your bike though, so good luck with the project.

I knew somebody would say that. And normally I am inclined to agree. However I have always wanted one of these for a project so I put my money down as soon as the opportunity arose. Last year was going to buy a bare from on here to do the same thing but that didn't work out.

Anyways this is a project I am hoping to work and keep for a long time.

Good luck with it and keep us up to date.

Nice front end, bonus on the levers and billet cap. Kind of like my F4 build up but I'm trying to stay completely Honda.

Nice front end, bonus on the levers and billet cap. Kind of like my F4 build up but I'm trying to stay completely Honda.

Ya I thought about staying all Yamaha, but the problem is the USD front ends have multispoke wheels as opposed to three spoke. And the rear end I want to put on has 3 spokes. So it matches better.

Please don't change it!!

There is people that would kill to get their hands on this bike!
Not too many of those left around. Its like 7/11 conversion, we have to keep them preserved.

Great project. Definitely will keep an eye on this thread.

I'm looking for a front wheel for a project bike, pm me if you want to get rid of the 400 front wheel.

I have a nearly identical Frankenbike, with the same engine (not overbored) which came from an AMA race bike, and makes 112hp, at 52lb/ft torque, and 340lb dry weight.

Mine however was not left stock appearing like yours and I wish I had. First off, it has been a royal pain to fit the other fairing parts, and second, it is less of a "sleeper" now.
I also started from scratch with a raw frame and engine and used an Aprilia Tuono front race cowl, without lower fairings, a YZF600 tank, and a Durbahn carbon tail for a Honda RC51. Other mods include R1 front end, TZ250 rear end and Ohlins rear shock.

I get the desire to modify it up cosmetically, but like the others, I think having an Ultimate FZR400 is pretty cool. Keep us posted.

I have a nearly identical Frankenbike, with the same engine (not overbored) which came from an AMA race bike, and makes 112hp, at 52lb/ft torque, and 340lb dry weight.

Mine however was not left stock appearing like yours and I wish I had. First off, it has been a royal pain to fit the other fairing parts, and second, it is less of a "sleeper" now.
I also started from scratch with a raw frame and engine and used an Aprilia Tuono front race cowl, without lower fairings, a YZF600 tank, and a Durbahn carbon tail for a Honda RC51. Other mods include R1 front end, TZ250 rear end and Ohlins rear shock.

I get the desire to modify it up cosmetically, but like the others, I think having an Ultimate FZR400 is pretty cool. Keep us posted.

Post up some pictures I would love to see them. I want this to be a clean streetfighter and then I'll add full fairings later if funds become available.

The real reason for this project is because the FZR400 has a good frame with modern/aggress chassis design. It has the potential to handle like my ZX6R but will be much easier on insurance. And I have always loved/wanted and FZR project since before I started riding. For some reason I can't help but think they are the coolest bikes. I want to ride a supersport without paying craz supersport prices. And I think this will be the closest thing I can get to that.

I would love to know what you did to get it down to 340lbs.

There was a guy in the states who got his FZR down to 335 WET with a 3rd of a tank of gas. It would be very nice to get my bike down to that weight. Also I think it will need to some carb tuning to get 110ish HP. I don't think it's making that much in it's current state as the previous owner took off the FCR carbs and replaced them with stock YZF600 carbs.

But if you want the sleeper look you can buy this bodywork off me. It's going up for sale soon.

The real reason for this project is because the FZR400 has a good frame with modern/aggress chassis design. It has the potential to handle like my ZX6R but will be much easier on insurance. And I have always loved/wanted and FZR project since before I started riding. For some reason I can't help but think they are the coolest bikes. I want to ride a supersport without paying craz supersport prices. And I think this will be the closest thing I can get to that.

Cool looking bike. How are you going to save on insurance? If you tell them it is a 683, insurance will hate you, if you don't and they discover it, they will deny the claim. Posting online is an easy way for them to see everything you have done but failed to notify them about. Is it just cheaper because it is older, or do you plan on insuring it as a 400?

Cool looking bike. How are you going to save on insurance? If you tell them it is a 683, insurance will hate you, if you don't and they discover it, they will deny the claim. Posting online is an easy way for them to see everything you have done but failed to notify them about. Is it just cheaper because it is older, or do you plan on insuring it as a 400?

We'll see how that goes. I gave them the vin and when they asked the displacement I said 600. So we'll see but that's a topic for another thread. I wasn't ask if I did modifcations yada yada... I am actually more concerned over street fightering it and the suspension components. than I am about any engine mods. Anything older than 94 doesn't classify as supersport.

In any case I have a spare 400 engine in case it becomes an issue.

Last edited:
As an off note-What yr R6 header fits the YZF head, and what midpipe do you have on there?

As an off note-What yr R6 header fits the YZF head, and what midpipe do you have on there?

99-02 R6. I am actually thinking about changing that header to an after market one as that is the stock R6 one. And the diameter is larger than the stock FZR/yzf header but smaller than an aftermarket fzr/yzf header. OH also.. you have to cut the H-pipe on the header and seperate by hand. Then weld in a longer h-pipe

As far as the midpipe goes I am not really sure.

Also instead of going with an FZR1000 swing arm. I am now going with an SRAD 750 swingarm. Rear wheel availability is from 96-03. It's actually a quarter inch shorter than the FZR swingarm too or 3/4" longer than the stock 400 arm. It's also braced and nicer looking. Not to mention the wheel will be lighter than the boat anchor of a FZR wheel. And the parts are cheaper. Only down side I am sure the swingarm will be heavier than the FZR one thanks to the bracing. They are both aluminum.

Last edited:
if weight is an issue, those 750 swing arms aren't that light.

how are you going to solve the issue of the sprockets not lining up?

Also, are you going to be using the rear brake off the srad?

if weight is an issue, those 750 swing arms aren't that light.

how are you going to solve the issue of the sprockets not lining up?

Also, are you going to be using the rear brake off the srad?

Honestly I think the swingarm + wheel will turn out the same total weight, but I will probably have slightly less rotating mass. I can live with that.

The sprocket lining up is not issue. Flip over a stock ZX6 sprocket and that will give the right amount of offset to fix the situation.

And yes I will use the rear brake off the SRAD.

I lost weight by replacing the steel subframe, plastic tail, etc with the very light monoque carbon Durban tail (-20), the lighter TZ wheel and swingarm (-5lbs, loss of bottom plastics, lighter R1 front end (surprising), and lighter single endurance style headlight.

I lost weight by replacing the steel subframe, plastic tail, etc with the very light monoque carbon Durban tail (-20), the lighter TZ wheel and swingarm (-5lbs, loss of bottom plastics, lighter R1 front end (surprising), and lighter single endurance style headlight.

I would love to see some pics. Sounds like a very ineresting project.

Back
Top Bottom