Re: The best roads/routes in Ontario/Quebec/U.S. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Re: The best roads/routes in Ontario/Quebec/U.S.

This a great thread. Thanks @shanekingsley. I wish those maps can be available on google.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I am interested in some of those GPX routes for my Garmin 590 and I found they work very well for a route which is in a pretty much straight line (ie where the start and end points are in opposite directions) the problem I am having is where the start and end points are close together the Garmin takes me from the start to the end in the shortest distance, ignoring the loop/route even though it shows it in Basecamp and on my Garmin. I have changed all the settings I can think of on the Garmin and in Basecamp and Garmin tech support are not able to help.

I am sure I am overlooking something simple, I have added multiple waypoints etc, has anyone come across this before/know of a fix?

Might I suggest using TYRE - it's a free download and really straightforward on how to use. I like that it uses the Google Maps interface and then once a route is plotted in it, then transferring direct to a Garmin device is super simple. Within TYRE, it will save many waypoints, because I've used it for multi day trips down south, and also for emailing routes to people, because it saves the routes as .gpx or .gdb

I used Basecamp for years and before that MapSource, and found Tyre to be a much faster and simpler way to plot routes and load them into my Nuvi 550...

Last edited:

Thanks, I haven't used Tyre but used other similar apps apart from Basecamp and they all show the route correctly on a Garmin but the problem comes when the start and end points are close together, I think its a setting or something - I saw somewhere to unselect "route recalculation" but don't want to turn that off as I often miss a turn :O

in basecamp put multiple pins along the route then set them to "Don't alert On Arrival". Then convert the route to a track and upload both to the GPS. Turn on "show track".

This way you have a backup of the route (the track that doesn't change) and the route that re calculates. Been doing this for years and it works perfectly for me.

you don't want to disable re-calculations. You'll find either a closed road or a dirt road that you want to go around and the GPS won't re-route you.

Just rode Old Nippissing road south out of Magnetawan over Ahmic Road to Ahmic Harbour....BEAUTIFUL!

Any riders been on this route this year? Anything to watch out for?. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Coming from Mississauga. I can't handle dirt or gravel

Calabogie Area Route: while the main roads listed above are included in this route, there are so many more in this area worth checking out, especially in the area to the south, which is below Sharbot Lake and above Sydenham.

Calabogie Area - Renfrew / Lanark County roads - asides from the track, there are some really great roads to check out in this area. It will make for a long day coming from the GTA, but it's well worth it at least once a year.
Hwy #511 - a great road with little traffic and fast sweepers throughout. It's kind of like the 507 of the east.
Tatlock Rd - If you are heading to/from Ottawa and want a good route to take to get to/from the 417, then Tatlock road is a twisty, well paved road that leads off the 511. Very nice!
Hwy #508 - there is some excellent cornering on this road and breathtaking scenery. While you can take this road east all the way to the Trans Canada Hwy, the best curvy section is west of Calabogie.
Hwy #509 / 506 - more excellent roads with some great twisty sections and amazing scenery. This can be a nice twisty way to connect Hwy7 in the southeast to the Hwy 41 in the west
Buckshot Lake Road - A sweet road to connect Plevna off the 509 and Denbigh off the 41.
South Lavant Road - An excellent road to connect up the 511 and the 509 - decent pavement with nice curves and scenery throughout.
McDonald's Corners Road - This is another great road to connect the 511 to the 509. which is a little further south of the above mentioned South Lavant Road. More great scenery, pavement and curves here.
Ardoch Road - This is a good road to connect different parts of the 509 together. Nice curves with very little traffic.
Flinton Rd - If you are travelling along Hwy7 or in the area, this is a fun stretch worth checking out.

All of the listed roads were in excellent condition 4 weeks ago.

There were some minor resurfacing going on on Ardoch but Should be done now.

If you are staying In Calabogie, all the restaurants close at 830 PM and you may have to ride for breakfast if your hotel does not offer.

Enjoy
Any riders been on this route this year? Anything to watch out for?. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Calabogie Area Route: while the main roads listed above are included in this route, there are so many more in this area worth checking out, especially in the area to the south, which is below Sharbot Lake and above Sydenham.

Calabogie Area - Renfrew / Lanark County roads - asides from the track, there are some really great roads to check out in this area. It will make for a long day coming from the GTA, but it's well worth it at least once a year.
Hwy #511 - a great road with little traffic and fast sweepers throughout. It's kind of like the 507 of the east.
Tatlock Rd - If you are heading to/from Ottawa and want a good route to take to get to/from the 417, then Tatlock road is a twisty, well paved road that leads off the 511. Very nice!
Hwy #508 - there is some excellent cornering on this road and breathtaking scenery. While you can take this road east all the way to the Trans Canada Hwy, the best curvy section is west of Calabogie.
Hwy #509 / 506 - more excellent roads with some great twisty sections and amazing scenery. This can be a nice twisty way to connect Hwy7 in the southeast to the Hwy 41 in the west
Buckshot Lake Road - A sweet road to connect Plevna off the 509 and Denbigh off the 41.
South Lavant Road - An excellent road to connect up the 511 and the 509 - decent pavement with nice curves and scenery throughout.
McDonald's Corners Road - This is another great road to connect the 511 to the 509. which is a little further south of the above mentioned South Lavant Road. More great scenery, pavement and curves here.
Ardoch Road - This is a good road to connect different parts of the 509 together. Nice curves with very little traffic.
Flinton Rd - If you are travelling along Hwy7 or in the area, this is a fun stretch worth checking out.

If you don't like riding on marbles stay clear of county road #15 in Central Frontenac until the road surface gets packed down, they just resurfaced it with chips and tar. It will be great riding again by spring of next year.

if you have time to do some rolling around the western Ottawa valley
this area adjacent to your map has tons of interesting roads
very little traffic and generally good pavement on any of the 500 series roads

RVnet2v.png

Since google maps mobile has an insane limit of 10 points or whatever (sending a big route from a computer to a phone completely breaks it) best way I've figured out by far is using Maps to GPX Converter and entering the whole route there.

With the .gpx link you can then import it to the Scenic iphone app and get turn by turn for a route of any size AFAIK. Only app I have found that gives turn by turn from .gpx links and it's free. Really good stuff.

I just imported shanes whole northern ride to do this year

ScenicApp is just awesome. It is easy to plot and amend routes on the spot. No messing around with basecamp.
Yes, it's amazing. I donated to the guy. I was on an android phone for a bit when my iPhone broke and just had to switch back. He could easily charge for it.

Regarding your muksoka area roads map @shanekingsley , I think I will do a stop somewhere up there for a night, is there anything else in the general area that maybe didn't make the cut that you would add to make it even longer since I have a whole second day?

Capture.JPG

Regarding your muksoka area roads map @shanekingsley , I think I will do a stop somewhere up there for a night, is there anything else in the general area that maybe didn't make the cut that you would add to make it even longer since I have a whole second day?

View attachment 48107
I would suggest you also check out these roads, which include the 520, Ahmic Lake Rd, the Bunny Trail, McDougall & Hurdville Roads.: Burk's Falls to Orrville

Also on the east side of Huntsville are a bunch of really fun roads: Huntsville to 144 ON-60

And if you are good to venture as far away as Haliburton, then between Huntsville and Haliburton are a bunch of great roads, a couple of which are out 'n backs, because they either turn into gravel or become a dead end: Huntsville to Haliburton

Back
Top Bottom