What should I be aware of for my first track day.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What should I be aware of for my first track day..

- Learn the lines, and your speed come naturally (© 2006 Ronnie).
- When that overwhealming sense of "oh sh*t" comes over you because you think you're too hot coming into a turn, remember to look at where you want to go. BELIEVE that you will make the turn.
- No matter how fit you are, don't make any big plans for the next day. You will be SORE. Remember the 2 days after your first day at the gym? It's kinda like that.

franz131 said:
Chris Cann said:
This might sound stupid but is there a age restriction? and is there a minimum license you have to be a holder of? Thanks!
If you're under 18 you need a legal guardian to sign the waiver and to vouch for your riding ability. No license needed, just ability.

Perfect thanks, do you need insurance for a track bike?

fiddleguy said:
Chris Cann said:
Perfect thanks, do you need insurance for a track bike?

No.

Hi everyone. Good thread.

in fact if you mention track riding to your insurance company they'll probably cancel your policy.

Schwantz_Fan said:
People who take street bikes to the track are losers.
Riiiiiiiight :wink:
Your headlight is there in case they ever do a night regional, got it.

Schwantz_Fan said:

...and people who ride race bikes (ie, supersport bikes) on the street are posers?

-Dave

Schwantz_Fan said:
Hahaha T3D at it's finest!

..just finished my first track day, and thought it was time I re-contributed to this thread. First of all, if it's your first track day, definitely read over all of the good advice listed in this thread. Some additions :

- ask around to figure out what tire pressure you should be running, and there will be enough people willing to help you out. It's not anything close to what you'd be using on the street. For example, I've always run 36/42 on the street, but knew from reading around that 30/29 was much more common on the track. That being said, make sure you've got enough air in your tires to let out enough for better track tire pressure.

- this worked at Fabi and will probably work at other tracks - leave the bike in 3rd while you work on the lines! Don't over-concentrate on your current rev's, what gear your in, rev matching, etc, etc. All that stuff (getting your bike in the peak torque range and what-not) is useless until you get the lines right first, regardless of how slow you need to go! Then work on gear selection and all the other fun stuff. This piece of advice completely turned around my day.

- if you're scraping pegs at your first session, it's not because you've reached the limits of your bike... it's because you're not hanging off enough. I managed to grind pegs and my can almost immediately because of bad form. Get someone from the intermediate or fast sessions to look your form over as you do your session and provide you with some advice. You might think you're hanging off the bike like a monkey, but chances are you've hardly got half an *** off. And try not to get all crossed up.. keep your body and *** parallel (but to the side) of the bike.

- as Reciprocity and DoozerDave mentioned, take a break when you need one. And if you're feeling fatigue in the forearms and wrists to the point where it's uncomfortable and not improving between sessions, call it a day. Riding through the pain won't make you go faster, and you're not trying to get on the podium anytime soon. Next time concentrate on taking pressure off your wrists/arms, and putting it into your legs/back.

- bring at least 4-5 litres of water, and a couple of sandwiches and snacks. There is food at the track, but it's the kind of food you'd want to take a two hour nap after. Bring stuff that will give you enough energy without having you feel bloated.

- don't chase someone who is obviously a better and more experienced rider past your own personal comfort level. The day will quickly become less fun.

Not necessary but still really useful :

- make sure you have a back protector. Nearly all of the experienced, and most of the intermediate riders had one. There's probably a reason why and you'd rather not have to find out the hard way.

- make friends. You'll meet a lot of great people and gain tons of valuable advice/information.

- take a change of clothes. You'll be completely drenched by the end of the day.

And finally, get ready to empty your wallet into the sport. It is the single most addictive thing you'll ever do! Even if you suck (like I did), it's a blast.

sys49152 said:
- leave the bike in 3rd while you work on the lines!
sys49152 said:
....and not improving between sessions.....
Sounds like you got some good advise.
2 very points:
1. So often, when I lead people around, they go like hell down the straight and park in the corners. They would learn a lot more of we cruised down the straight and focussed on corner entry speed and good lines.
2. When I'm at a race weekend, I work to go faster every session. I know that most trackday riders don't do the things I do to go faster, they simply ride and hope something magical happens. Showing up at the track with the goal of improving in every session, and doing the work necesary to achieve it, would make a big difference to many riders.

track

On top of what Franz said, also;

a) never compete against your friends or some racers time - it's yours that matters and take steps to insure that you are beating your times each session you are out.

b) the entry into a corner is not nearly as important for the exit out of the corner. If you park it going in, then it screws up not only the exit of that corner but the entry and preparation for the next corner.

c) learn to look ahead at all times - you go where your eyes go.

d) use your feet - that's what your pegs are for. You can steer your bike with your feet by transfering the weight, in fact you can take your left hand off the bar (in a left corner) at full lean angle and steer the bike around without problems.

e) don't worry too much about going fast - worry about being smooth, as smooth = fast.

f) always remember to have FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone please explain how the riding school courses fit in with track days?

On the FAST riding school site they mention something about a 'racing licence'. Do I need to get one of these to particpate in the track days?

thanks

It is not necessary to have a racing license to participate in most track days. It's a good idea to take the FAST school ... but not mandatory.

Ditto on the great thread comment. For some inexplicable reason I have a crazy desire to do this and this thread is really helping me understand what it takes. I am one chapter into Twist 2 and already I want to try putting the knowledge into practice -- but I think I'll wait at least until I finish the book.

I've heard different people suggest Turn2 instead of FAST, or at least one Turn2 day before FAST. Any advice on that?

Michel

Are spectators allowed at the track days? I'd like to come out one day and watch for a few hours if possible at a track day.

mike2 said:
Are spectators allowed at the track days? I'd like to come out one day and watch for a few hours if possible at a track day.
Spectators are required to bring water and help load bikes at the end of the day.
Spectators are required to help ME before other riders.
You will enjoy the experience.

Back
Top Bottom