What should I be aware of for my first track day.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

What should I be aware of for my first track day..

B

Bruce Ree

Im going to be doing my first track day in June at Shannonville. I'm a little nervous only cause I dont want to dump my baby and hurt her. Also just a little nervous as this is my first time and dont want to feel like a total amature there. How often to you guys dump their bikes when on track days?

as often as ppl do stupid things. it's a trackday - take it at your own pace, you're not racing anyone.

make sure you have water wetter in your rad, that you disconnect the lights and tape them up and take the mirrors off. your chain should be in good shape, should have clean, new oil in the bike (you're going to be revving the daylights out of that engine) and that your tires are in decent shape and at proper pressure. don't worry, there'll be plenty of people to give you a hand with things once there.

remember: if FUN you're after, not GLORY

Just go and have fun.

Don't worry about dumping your bike.

You're likely going to be in the Street/Novice group, so I highly doubt you'll be the slowest person there. There's always someone a little slower or one that shows nervousness. Those people get the help they need and are as welcome as anyone else.

I've yet to go to a track day where there have been NO crashes. I've only been to a small handful... the most in a day was 9 or 10.... the fewest I think was 1 or 2. Someone will bin it, for whatever reason.

Just ride at whatever pace keeps a smile on your face and have fun. That's all they're for.

First,

Make sure you have at least 1 friend with you.

If this is your first trackday, i'd recommend removing ALL of your bodywork from your bike. buy some cheap race stuff that has been crashed if you can.

Street bodywork is expensive.

Go with a friend that has been out to a few trackdays and ask them to show you around, if that's not possible, ask the trackday organizers if there are any racers attending that would mind showing you around the track.

Most trackdays have this type of help available, if they don't, just watch the fast group and look for the more experienced riders in that group and introduce yourself to that person and ask for some guidance.

Maybe offer to buy them lunch if they spend 30min or so(2 sessions) working with you.

Also, if you're tired, don't feel like you HAVE to get out on the track. You make mistakes when you're tired which will lead to crashes.

Its your first trackday, do 2-3 sesssions and see how you feel, if you're tired, pack it in for the day.

paying $140 for the trackday and doing 30 laps is a much better investment then paying $140 for the trackday, trying to do 40 or 50 laps and driving home with $1000 damage to your bike.

track day

Donovan's right..........even racers crash by being too tires.

Also - you may not want to feel like a total amateur - BUT YOU ARE ONE, as were all of us at one time. It's not a race, you are there to have FUN and learn. You are only competing against yourself so forget everyone out there and do your own thing.

Best advise I can give - HOLD YOUR LINE, don't cut the corner when you realize you are really wide. Faster riders will go around you, and if you are too cautious then mistakes will happen. By afternoon you'll feel like a pro.

Thanks dudes. This helps. I just wasnt sure if it were a bunch of hardcores out there who are gonna get ****** if im a little slower. Dont get me wrong, Im not a Pu$$ey by any means and like to run fast, just wasnt sure if i would be way outta my league for this. Im looking forward to it though.

My advice is never give up on a corner. Don't panic if you THINK you're going too fast. Chances are there is more cornering left in the bike. Just be smooth, look where you need to go, lean it more and ride the corner out. And don't worry about being bad-*** on the brakes. Be smooth and concentrate on corner speed. And have fun! 8)

Bruce Ree said:
Thanks dudes. This helps. I just wasnt sure if it were a bunch of hardcores out there who are gonna get (this was a bad word!) if im a little slower. Dont get me wrong, Im not a Pu$$ey by any means and like to run fast, just wasnt sure if i would be way outta my league for this. Im looking forward to it though.

After reading this thread and your reply, my advice would be; don't go out there with the goal of "going fast" or "getting my knee down" or "not being a pu55y". If you TRY to go fast you'll most likely go slower and possibly crash. Like others have alluded to, smooth equals fast. Don't be a hero, and don't get caught up with times and trying to pass people. If you get past somebody don't push harder than normal to stay in front of them, chances are since you got past you'll stay past at your current pace.

-Dave

Wow, just the thread I was looking for. Thanks for all the great info! A couple more questions for those who have gone through this before..

1. For gear, would a 2 piece leather (360 zip connection) be fine, even though the jack has a bit of textile running along the arm and the side for some flexibility. Or should I bite the bullet and just buy (or rent) full leathers for the first time out?

2. Do the leather pants needs to have the knee puck? I haven't done a track day before and don't plan on even coming close to getting my knee down.. are the all leathers good enough for now?

3. Should I check shops like Riders Choice for track days and find a novice/street session to sign up with, or do I call the tracks directly? Or do I sign up for any of the track day sessions and I'll just get put into the right (slowest) group?

Thanks for all the info - much appreciated!

Your jacket SHOULD be fine, check with the trackday organizer to confirm, although a 1 piece race suit is always better.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACK PROTECTOR, do not get on the track without one.

2. you don't need pucks, if you find you're dragging your knees, you can have velcro patches sewn on to any pants afterwards.

3. Riders choice would be an excellent choice to do trackdays with, they have some of the best pro and amatuer racers in the country available to help you out at the track. the tracks dont normally run the trackdays, they just provide the facility as a rental to shops and organizers.

check out www.duchunter.com for a list of organizers and dates.

Awesome thread. Definately looking forward to the nicer weather

this is great info.
maybe even reading through one of those keith code books will help out too. I've just finished up #1 and heading to book #2... I'll be ready for the track by next year I think....
thx

Bring as much water as you think you can drink, and then bring some more.
I killed 6 bottles on Sunday and needed 2 more on the way home, and I was still dry on Monday.
Drink lots of water at the track.

franz131 said:
I killed 6 bottles on Sunday and needed 2 more on the way home, and I was still dry on Monday.

+1billion

I got annoyed with having to take a leak before and after every session so I drank less than normal at one track day last year and suffered from very sudden loss of concentration on the track. I decided to come in after I finished the next lap but I made a mistake that put me in the dirt before I could finish that one. From now on I don't care how many times I have to pee, I'm drinking loads. Electrolyte drinks are good too. Theoretically you won't have to drink as much as just plain water.

-Dave

franz131 said:

hammer_heed32_h200.jpg

This is good stuff also. Hammer H.E.E.D. all-complex carbohydrate formula for consistent energy delivery, it also contains complete electrolyte profile.
I use this stuff on track days, all my mountain bike rides, as well as 24hr marathon mountain bike races, it does the job for me. I find the orange flavour to be the best.

It's not super sweet and sticky like your typical Gatorade type drink.

More info if you care to read up at www.hammernutrition.com

This should be readily available at most cycling shops.

This might sound stupid but is there a age restriction? and is there a minimum license you have to be a holder of? Thanks!

Chris Cann said:
This might sound stupid but is there a age restriction? and is there a minimum license you have to be a holder of? Thanks!
If you're under 18 you need a legal guardian to sign the waiver and to vouch for your riding ability. No license needed, just ability.

Back
Top Bottom