Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 87 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

So apparently, The Fantastic Four, the reboot version coming out in 2015 has none of the original cast.
Kate Mara instead of Jessica Alba? Hmmm, I don't know...

The Fantastic Four didn't do it for me even with Alba. So, fingers crossed for the reboot.

The Fantastic Four didn't do it for me even with Alba. So, fingers crossed for the reboot.

Pasting blonde hair and blue contacts on Alba was the wrong choice. There are enough suitable actresses who could have filled the role. In the reboot they're going to have Kate Mara in the part; another brown haired, brown eyed girl. On top of that they'll have to go a long way to explain how Michael B. Jordan, a black guy, is her brother.

I've already decided that I won't be going to any reboots.

Pasting blonde hair and blue contacts on Alba was the wrong choice. There are enough suitable actresses who could have filled the role. In the reboot they're going to have Kate Mara in the part; another brown haired, brown eyed girl. On top of that they'll have to go a long way to explain how Michael B. Jordan, a black guy, is her brother.

I've already decided that I won't be going to any reboots.

Some graphic novels never seem to get it right for the big screen. Not sure if it's a curse or not? The Hulk is another that I tried to like. They got quality actors with a story to put you in a coma. Superman is another franchise that just doesn't seem to get it right. Lol

Some graphic novels never seem to get it right for the big screen. Not sure if it's a curse or not? The Hulk is another that I tried to like. They got quality actors with a story to put you in a coma. Superman is another franchise that just doesn't seem to get it right. Lol

Ah yes, The Hulk. The movie that not even Jennifer Connelly's body could save.

Talk about a Sandman movie is getting hotter.

I had high hopes for Fury. I'm a huge WWII history buff and I'm fascinated by tank warfare. My favourite Sega Genesis game is the M-1 tank simulator. Pretty good but not even close to Saving Private Ryan. Awful heavy-handed, overly dramatic soundtrack, especially during the battle scenes. Ending is hard to swallow. Now I'm pumped for Interstellar out in a couple of weeks.

I had high hopes for Fury. I'm a huge WWII history buff and I'm fascinated by tank warfare. My favourite Sega Genesis game is the M-1 tank simulator. Pretty good but not even close to Saving Private Ryan. Awful heavy-handed, overly dramatic soundtrack, especially during the battle scenes. Ending is hard to swallow. Now I'm pumped for Interstellar out in a couple of weeks.
If you like military suspense, I highly recommend Lone Survivor. Its nkt WW2, but it was about humanity in bad times. I'm even reading the book now & I don't even like novels, lol.

Sorry if I mentioned this before

If you like military suspense, I highly recommend Lone Survivor. Its nkt WW2, but it was about humanity in bad times. I'm even reading the book now & I don't even like novels, lol.

Sorry if I mentioned this before

As I've stated before; Enjoy the movie for what it is, Hollywood entertainment. Read Luttrell's book for what it is, one mans biased account of his ordeal.
After you've done both then research the events for yourself. There are several web sites plus printed material that will have you going hmmm???

As I've stated before; Enjoy the movie for what it is, Hollywood entertainment. Read Luttrell's book for what it is, one mans biased account of his ordeal.
After you've done both then research the events for yourself. There are several web sites plus printed material that will have you going hmmm???
Still reading it now. I will read into the details as time progresses.

But in the meantime I thoroughly enjoyed the movie for what it is. That's purely subjective, you didn't enjoy it as much but that doesn't affect how much I enjoyed it

Still reading it now. I will read into the details as time progresses.

But in the meantime I thoroughly enjoyed the movie for what it is. That's purely subjective, you didn't enjoy it as much but that doesn't affect how much I enjoyed it

You recommended Lone Survivor as “military suspense” and I agree. As pure entertainment it’s a very good movie, even great in spots. The fact that it drew you in to the point that you are now reading the book proves the power of the story. However, Like Affleck did with Argo, Berg did to Lone Survivor. He could have told the truth or been faithful to Luttrell’s book but he did neither. Instead, it’s clear he did little to no fact checking and added a whole lot of Hollywood. I'm not taking away any of your enjoyment by stating this. I'm merely putting my comments in context.

Anyone interested in the real Afghanistan war should watch the documentary, “The Hornet’s Nest”. Excepts and trailers are on YouTube. The film is out on disc and I believe also for download.

I’ll give Berg this much, his account of the fire fight and falling off the mountain was some of the most realistic, edge of my seat footage I’ve ever seen in a movie. Watch the Hornet’s Nest and you’ll understand.

You've mentioned alot if the "facts", but bear in mind its a movie to make it entertaining. I don't see alot of "Hollywood" in that movie. Far far less than Saving P Ryan. SPR had a part where bullets were going through water, far from reality.

Since you commented on how fake the movie was, can you be specific & tell me wasn't true?

Also can you tell me what "actually" happened. I'm actually curious.

John Wick.

It's an action movie. Truly holds merit to that. Dialogue was pretty good and not as cheesy as I'd expect it to be.
This is the Action movie styles of the 80's-90's, with modern updates.

I'd see it again. Solid 9.5/10.

John Wick was alright. Didn't blow me away like Takers for example, but I didn't fall asleep either - good sign.
What's with all recent Hollywood movies portraying Russians as bad, no good, very awful guys? The US is preparing for invasion?

John Wick was alright. Didn't blow me away like Takers for example, but I didn't fall asleep either - good sign.
What's with all recent Hollywood movies portraying Russians as bad, no good, very awful guys? The US is preparing for invasion?
Russians being bad ass makes it so much more believable

I enjoyed John Wick. Yeah, the story was cliche and paper thin, the action was unrealistic as hell, and some stuff was downright cheesy but it was still an entertaining movie at the end of the day. They obviously were going for style over Substance a lot of the time but it mostly worked and even when it didn't, the cheesiness kind of added some humour into the movie. Like watching a lot of the bad guys crapping their pants at the mere mention of Wick's name. Lol

You've mentioned alot if the "facts", but bear in mind its a movie to make it entertaining. I don't see alot of "Hollywood" in that movie. Far far less than Saving P Ryan. SPR had a part where bullets were going through water, far from reality.

Since you commented on how fake the movie was, can you be specific & tell me wasn't true?

Also can you tell me what "actually" happened. I'm actually curious.

I knew going into the movie that some characters would be composites or completely fictional. Furthermore, that time lines and events would probably be altered. All in the name of Hollywood. Mostly, to make the movie as exciting and entertaining as possible. But also to fit the limited time frame that a modern action adventure film needs to be. Berg’s film, “The Kingdom” is one of my favourite suspense, action filled movies for this very reason. Jam packed, sit on the edge of your seat for most of the movie.
I do not know how far into Luttrell’s book you are, (Ghostwritten by Patrick Robinson based on interviews he conducted with Luttrell. I believe much was lost in translation.) but, I’m sure you have already seen differences from that account and what Berg’s film shows. FYI there are least two other books on this; Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers - the Marine Corps' Battle for Freedom in Afghanistan by Ed Darack and Seal of Honor: Operation Red Wings and the Life of Lt. Michael P. Murphy, USN by Gary Williams.
I’m not sure why you think I’m attacking you but that seems to be the tone of your posts. DO NOT put words in my mouth! I have never said, nor even hinted at Berg’s movies being “fake”. In fact just the opposite. Re read my last post where I give Berg kudos for his realistic fire fight on and fall off of the mountain.
Where I find fault is that the film was promoted as a true account based on Luttrell’s book. Yet it appears to be neither a true account nor does it follow the book.
Some examples. Luttrell did not code in the chopper as shown in the movie. He was not near death when he was rescued and his heart never stopped. In fact he and the Army Rangers took time to have a lengthy debriefing over tea. Some of the villagers including Mohammad Gulab took part in the debrief. Luttrell was never dragged out to be beheaded. And that whole US Forces saves the day by beating back the Taliban just as they are about to overrun the village is pure fiction. Just like Gulab’s house getting blown up and him getting shot in the back. Never happened. Truth is, Army Rangers and Afghan special forces discovered Luttrell in the woods when Gulab and several villagers were moving him to a new location.
I would not be so upset if the movie had been promoted as having been “inspired” by real world events. Though, I would have much better preferred it if Berg had done in-depth research and included info from the other books as well as the official After Action Reports. But it is what it is and that’s why I’ve said what I have said.

I knew going into the movie that some characters would be composites or completely fictional. Furthermore, that time lines and events would probably be altered. All in the name of Hollywood. Mostly, to make the movie as exciting and entertaining as possible. But also to fit the limited time frame that a modern action adventure film needs to be.
Which characters were fictional? There were 4 Navy Seals who went on a mission into the mountains. I believe there were 4 in the movie also.

DO NOT put words in my mouth! I have never said, nor even hinted at Berg’s movies being “fake”. In fact just the opposite. Re read my last post where I give Berg kudos for his realistic fire fight on and fall off of the mountain.
However, Like Affleck did with Argo, Berg did to Lone Survivor. He could have told the truth or been faithful to Luttrell’s book but he did neither. Instead, it’s clear he did little to no fact checking and added a whole lot of Hollywood. I'm not taking away any of your enjoyment by stating this. I'm merely putting my comments in context.
Fake is another way to saying what you previously said.

Where I find fault is that the film was promoted as a true account based on Luttrell’s book. Yet it appears to be neither a true account nor does it follow the book.
The movie said "Based on a True Story". Lots of movies who say "Based" does not turn out to be true. I believe Base simply means it laid the foundation.

Some examples. Luttrell did not code in the chopper as shown in the movie. He was not near death when he was rescued and his heart never stopped. In fact he and the Army Rangers took time to have a lengthy debriefing over tea. Some of the villagers including Mohammad Gulab took part in the debrief. Luttrell was never dragged out to be beheaded. And that whole US Forces saves the day by beating back the Taliban just as they are about to overrun the village is pure fiction. Just like Gulab’s house getting blown up and him getting shot in the back. Never happened. Truth is, Army Rangers and Afghan special forces discovered Luttrell in the woods when Gulab and several villagers were moving him to a new location.
I would not be so upset if the movie had been promoted as having been “inspired” by real world events. Though, I would have much better preferred it if Berg had done in-depth research and included info from the other books as well as the official After Action Reports. But it is what it is and that’s why I’ve said what I have said.
Are you basing your knowledge on other books and other Action Reports? I'm actually curious because I want to read it myself.

Snowpiercer - This one is a shocker and one of very few recent movies that I enjoyed. You can enjoy it as a straight up action, interesting sci-fi concept or an exploration of class struggle in any human society. First English-language movie directed by Bong, it has an excellent cast including John Hurt. Chris Evans and Ed Harris. Based on a French comic boo.. I mean "graphic novel" (which I intend to read), it's set in a post-apocalyptic world where the remainder of humanity is moving along in a train whose tracks run around the entire world - turned into a frozen wasteland. The rich and privileged are at the front, the poor and oppressed are at the back and they decided that they need to go to the front and restructure the management. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

For Scifi fans there is currently a Documentary called Jodorowsky's dune! Its about the first script treatment for the movie Dune.. it was supposed to be more expensive and technical than Starwars.. it probably would have changes the face of movies it was ever made. Even though the project wasn't picked up it still has major influences on scifi today!

<br>[video=youtube;jg4OCeSTL08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08[/video]

Back
Top Bottom