Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 59 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Hi guys,

Need some advice to better prepare myself. I just bought a Yamaha Super Tenere from a dealer near Pittsburgh, PA and plan to ride it back to Canada through Queenston/Lewiston border.
1) Do I need to send the intent to export e-mail to US Vehicle Export Office "exactly" 72-hours in advanced? Can I e-mail them 1-2 weeks in advanced?
2) For anyone that did the export through this border, where is the Vehicle Export Office in this picture. I figure it's the building at the bottom but which corner (A,B,C,D, or inbetween)? Can I ride my bike across like the blue arrow, or do I have to push it across?
View attachment 31977
Thanks for the help.

1. You need to send it At Least 72H in advance, longer is fine.
2. You can just ride it there, no problem. As you enter the narrower street that takes you to the Canadian Border, you will notice the buildings on the left, which are the US Customs, keep going to the left, there's a big parking lot where trucks are parked, it's the building right next to it.

I'm importing a Honda VFR400 from the UK soon. I'm going to call on Monday, but my questions are

Duties and taxes and other fees.

Since the bike is a 1990 No riv fees
Would the duties be on the just the bike price? $1400Cdn or the full amount $3400? Shipping is $2000 for inside UK shipped,crated, sea shipped and dropped off at my curb in Kingston, Ontario.

Any ideas on what duties would be? Bike was made in Japan.

Also I'll be swapping the cluster for a JDM one that's in KM which I'll have this beforehand.

Also if someone wants a UK import my company has deals for two or more bikes shipped at the same time. I don't mine storing some extra bikes for a few days in my backyard.

Last edited:
A coworker, while touring Guatemala last week on a rented motorcycle (I'm very jealous), met a German fellow on a German registered 2006 Honda Transalp. The German fellow is touring the world, ending in Canada in about a months time. He offered the TransAlp to my buddy for $1,000 when he's done in Canada, as it's nearly $4000 to ship the bike back to Germany and will have nearly 100,000 km on it when he's done.

For the Import Experts here (I glanced through this thread, but did not read all 11 pages of posts...): Is my buddy going to be able to buy and licence this bike for Canadian use? It's less than 15 years old, German registered, and a model not available in North America.... Sweet ride though...

A coworker, while touring Guatemala last week on a rented motorcycle (I'm very jealous), met a German fellow on a German registered 2006 Honda Transalp. The German fellow is touring the world, ending in Canada in about a months time. He offered the TransAlp to my buddy for $1,000 when he's done in Canada, as it's nearly $4000 to ship the bike back to Germany and will have nearly 100,000 km on it when he's done.

For the Import Experts here (I glanced through this thread, but did not read all 11 pages of posts...): Is my buddy going to be able to buy and licence this bike for Canadian use? It's less than 15 years old, German registered, and a model not available in North America.... Sweet ride though...

There is a list of admissible bikes on RIV website. Check if the bike is admissible. If it is, then you can go through the importing process with it.

There is a list of admissible bikes on RIV website. Check if the bike is admissible. If it is, then you can go through the importing process with it.

RIV is vehicles for distribution in the US. This TransAlp has a German registration, and isn't sold in either the US or Canada.

RIV is vehicles for distribution in the US. This TransAlp has a German registration, and isn't sold in either the US or Canada.

My bad, you need Transport Canada:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-index-443.htm
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-other-than-index-446.htm

Looking at FAQ, you're most likely screwed, but maybe you can go on 'case by case' admissibiility basis?

FAQ:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-other-than-faq-1283.htm

Has anybody imported a BMW lately that would have warranty? Is the warranty transferrable and are there any restrictions on the warranty if transferrable?

Yep there's a section there that specifically says guests that brought their own vehicle cannot sell or donate it while in Canada.

I'm buying a motorcycle in California and registering it in Toronto.
Following all rules, can I export it from US in Washington state, import it in Vancouver so I take it with me on a road trip through Canada before getting to Toronto (bike will be in my truck) ?

I have imported several times into Ontario.

I'm buying a motorcycle in California and registering it in Toronto.
Following all rules, can I export it from US in Washington state, import it in Vancouver so I take it with me on a road trip through Canada before getting to Toronto (bike will be in my truck) ?

I have imported several times into Ontario.

I don't see why not. You will be importing the bike into Canada, so you will only be paying GST portion of taxes while crossing the border anyway.

I did import over Lewiston.

All the info you can possibly need to know is on their phone system.
When you call vehicle export number it goes in a long voice message and lists and spells everything out.
Call that number first and you will know everything there is to know...

Important is to note that this is only crossing reasonably close to GTA where bike can be exported from USA
and that this process can be accomplished only Mon-Fri 8-4.

I found that strange but that is how it is.

They want plain email 72 hours before that has basic info about the bike in plain text, no attachments.

On Canadian side there was form to fill in, I did not get hassled over the value but I was honest with it too.
Paid GST and was sent on my way.
Rest is simple leg work really. Just follow the steps until it is done....

Overall experience is simple enough so if math works I say go for it...

Thanks for all the info in this thread! It helped me immensely!

Cheers!

I wanted to buy a black/gold Yamaha FZR 250 EXUP because of it was as cheap as a new cbr125r with 3x the power and so much more rpm... plus it was JDM tyte yo but couldn't find any company willing to insure me as they all asked for VIN and after receiving it they said no. ;(

Has anyone imported from a dealership? I am looking at a bike from a dealer who said that they have to charge me the state sales tax. Has anyone purchased from a dealership and got around paying the dealer tax or able to get refunded once back across the border?

It's not that much for the tax but if I don't have to pay it I don't want to.

Recently I was trying to import a 1950's harley davidson chopper into Canada. I've done this many times before without any trouble but this time I was denied importing the bike because the original frame had been modified. I was told that frames can not be modified and must be original before it is allowed to be imported. I always thought that was for newer bikes and as long as the bike is older than 15 years old it doesn't really matter what state it is in. Bikes older than that don't need to meet any RIV criteria and Transport Canada doesn't care either about vehicles older than 15 years old. I had to take the bike back to the seller and took a small loss on it.

Hi,
This thread is for motorcycles imported from the States.
How about comng from Europe?
Any details?
I got an answer from Transport Canada not very encouraging.
The bie is a2003 GSA 1150.

Thnak you

Recently I was trying to import a 1950's harley davidson chopper into Canada. I've done this many times before without any trouble but this time I was denied importing the bike because the original frame had been modified. I was told that frames can not be modified and must be original before it is allowed to be imported. I always thought that was for newer bikes and as long as the bike is older than 15 years old it doesn't really matter what state it is in. Bikes older than that don't need to meet any RIV criteria and Transport Canada doesn't care either about vehicles older than 15 years old. I had to take the bike back to the seller and took a small loss on it.

Even if you had gotten it in you would've had a hard time getting insurance for it unless you lie and say it's not modified.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Hi,
This thread is for motorcycles imported from the States.
How about comng from Europe?
Any details?
I got an answer from Transport Canada not very encouraging.
The bie is a2003 GSA 1150.

Thnak you

Can't be done. Not 15 years old.

First post. Interesting thread, lots of different situations here ...

Incredibly enough, I have scanned all pages of this and I think my situation is unique.
Canadian living and working in China (since 9+ yrs) returning to Ontario for good probably in June. Wanted to bring (import) as part of my personal things 2 bikes as follows:

- Ktm Exc 450, 2004. Bought used in China by private sale. No paperwork. Although some states and maybe Canada can licence these enduro's, I'd be happy enough if it was only to be used as off-road / enduro purpose only. Made in Austria, not on the "list", not 15 yrs old. I have no documentation for it, except I know the VIN. Vin search is not that useful. It seems 2 versions were made, one for North America and one for Australia or maybe Europe. Not a matter of money, just would like to be able to bring it in. The plan is for it to be included in a 20' container.

Was hoping my KTM could fall under this guideline :

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-other-than-index-446.htm
the vehicle does not belong to a regulated class of vehicle under the
MVSA.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-1341.htm
vehicles designed exclusively for off-road use such as farm tractors, construction equipment and utility vehicles (UTV)a competition vehicle designed exclusively for closed course competition, bearing the necessary labels

- Harley FXDF Fatbob, 2010. Bought used in China by private sale. Made for US market. No paperwork. VIN search shows it was in an accident and written off, not stolen. Probably not likely possible for this one.

Any comments, ideas, experience ?
Thanks

Can't be done. Not 15 years old.

Back
Top Bottom