Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 61 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

You don't need a broker. You can submit the paperwork at https://www.autoexports.us yourself. I did use it this September.

Process is slightly convoluted, but just hang tight and follow instructions. Must have the bill of sale, title and what not ready and available to send them a scan/photo of. The fee is just the $75 shown on the website.

Give yourself plenty of time. I did it in a crunch and the online system would give me trouble like not allowing to select Saturday as day of export despite the fact that the crossing I was using was open 24/7. Had to call in and get the application amended.

What would happen if you do NOT use the autoexports.us website? (like you do use it at all, and you do not have the Internal Transaction Number (ITN).

Can you still just leave the USA with the bike, without stopping at USA Customs?

In other words, can you avoid the USD $75 fee? (and all that time wasted in line at USA CBP).

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
You may get to Canada with it but it may not be possible to register it. Also it can never be brought back into the US

Sent from a device using a program

You may get to Canada with it but it may not be possible to register it. Also it can never be brought back into the US

So is the RIV (in Canada) asking for this number, in order to register the car in Ontario?

This is the reason why I want to know: mother-in-law is 84 years old and is coming back to Canada in the next couple of weeks (she is Canadian, and has been living in the USA for many years now).

She has a 10 year-old Honda Civic that she wants to bring back with her.

She has no access to the internet, and it is having a hell of a time completing the paperwork. I won't be able to meet her at the border - but I am trying to simplify the process for her, as much as possible.

If she could avoid extra steps it would be great. Car is never going back to the USA, not even for vacations.

So is the RIV (in Canada) asking for this number, in order to register the car in Ontario?

This is the reason why I want to know: mother-in-law is 84 years old and is coming back to Canada in the next couple of weeks (she is Canadian, and has been living in the USA for many years now).

She has a 10 year-old Honda Civic that she wants to bring back with her.

She has no access to the internet, and it is having a hell of a time completing the paperwork. I won't be able to meet her at the border - but I am trying to simplify the process for her, as much as possible.

If she could avoid extra steps it would be great. Car is never going back to the USA, not even for vacations.

What's a 10 yo civic worth? It may be easier to sell the car there and buy one up here to avoid the paperwork.

It may be different as she already owns the car there are companies that will do this for you as well.

What's a 10 yo civic worth? It may be easier to sell the car there and buy one up here to avoid the paperwork.

Too late to sell it, she decided to keep it. It is a nice, clean car with less than 20,000 miles. She is the original owner. It is in mint condition.

I was afraid that I could not get her the same car in the GTA.

Too late to sell it, she decided to keep it. It is a nice, clean car with less than 20,000 miles. She is the original owner. It is in mint condition.

I was afraid that I could not get her the same car in the GTA.

I figured, but it was worth checking. Steve may be on to something, at this point she is a US resident relocating to canada correct? Maybe there is an easier process for that path.

searched but what is required to send a bike to the us I plan on selling my bike to a us buyer

The laws vary state to state and there might be some federal laws/restrictions.

Best to check with us customs about importing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tired of all the post about this topic so here it is the be all end all... Hopefully this can be made a sticky.

What to do before you import?

- Make sure your vehicle is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles (this list includes passengers cars, trucks, vans, jeeps, chassis cabs, trailers, motorcycles, and snowmobiles less than 15 years old; off-road vehicles manufactured after May 1, 1988 and buses manufactured after Jan. 1, 1971. www.riv.ca (1-888-848-8240)

- Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION)

- Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer’s recall clearance letter.

- Find out about any additional provincial or territorial requirements, such as safety inspections and emissions tests.

- Arrange for insurance.

- Present your vehicle along with original title docs to US Customs prior (72 hours) to entering Canada. www.customs.gov

- If you are importing a trailer you may call RIV to have your VIN number verified ahead of time.

What to do at the border?

- produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.

- Complete Vehicle Import Form- Form 1 which will be provided by CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency formally Customs) this form must be kept with vehicle until it is licensed.

- CBSA will check vehicle against Transport Canada’s list of admissible vehicles they will also verify the public VIN #’s and manufacturer’s statement of compliance label to ensure a match.

- CBSA will facilitate the payment of your nonrefundable RIV fee of $182 in all provinces except Quebec where it is $197.

- Payment for the RIV fee may be made directly to CBSA with major credit cards CBSA DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH OR CHEQUES FOR THE RIV FEE.

What to do after the vehicle enters Canada?

- Within 10 days, you should receive a letter from RIV with your inspection docs (form 2) which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance.

- It is your responsibility to complete the necessary mods within 45 days (they can be preformed by the garage of your choice)

- Make sure you keep receipts of all your modification work

- The RIV has contracted Canadian Tire to perform their federal inspections.

- When you pass the inspection they inspection center will stamp your form 1 and you will have to present this paper work to the licensing authority

- If the vehicle fails the inspection within the 45 days it will have to be exported.

Common Modifications?

Motorcycles
- recall clearance letter
- U.S statement of compliance (S.O.C Label) at the border
- The RIV will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you after passing the federal inspection
- Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
- Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
- All lights on

Restricted-Use Motorcycles

- Recall clearance letter
- Off-road statement label
- Reflectors

Numbers you’ll need?

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
1-888-848-8240
www.riv.ca
info@riv.ca

Canada Border Service Agency
1-800-461-9999 (English)
1-800-959-2036 (French)
www.cbsa.gc.ca

Transport Canada
1-800-333-0371
(613) 998-4831 (fax)
www.tc.gc.ca

United States Customs
www.customs.gov

I would add https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-canada.php to the list.

Someone pointed out on another thread that with the current difference between the dollars, it's surprising that more Americans aren't buying used Canadian motorcycles.

I'm currently investigating importing a US vehicle to Canada, I read something somewhere about not being able to re-sell the vehicle for 1 year. Anyone heard of this?

Re: $35 aes itn

Has anyone failed a RIV inspection, and was there a charge to get another one?

To answer my own question, I called RIV today and they said that if you the inspector actually fails you by checking the fail box and stamping the form, then all you need to do is reprint the form and make another appointment. No additional fees necessary. He also said some inspectors will just give you back the form and tell you what needs to be addressed, so you don't have to print a brand new one.

I was also told that since this is separate from the provincial safety inspection, they should only be concerned with the items on the checklist that is populated for your particular vehicle's inspection form, no more, no less. I used reflectors as an example (which are not on my list), and he said if it's not on the list, don't worry about it. That could be something for the provincial safety inspection to get plated, but not the federal inspection for RIV.

Finally, I clarified the requirement for [ ] EXHAUST SYSTEM: must have permanent legible marking, confirming it meets "EPA regulations of 80 dB(A)". This has to be on the actual exhaust system somewhere. Now I need to take another look at my stock muffler to make sure it's there. I thought I was fine because I have a sticker on the frame that states this, but apparently that's not good enough.

A little off topic

But what's the process of bringing a bike from a different province?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I just imported a bike this past weekend, and used these guys for the AES ITN. It was only $35 USD, and I got the ITN by the end of the day.

http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/

I thought the seller had to complete the ITN request with Simplified Trade Solutions? Under "Written authorization to prepare or transmit electronic export information"
it says "I, the U.S. Principal Party in Interest..."

I don't think the (Canadian) buyer can be the US Principal Party in Interest

I thought the seller had to complete the ITN request with Simplified Trade Solutions? Under "Written authorization to prepare or transmit electronic export information"
it says "I, the U.S. Principal Party in Interest..."

I don't think the (Canadian) buyer can be the US Principal Party in Interest

The words "U.S. Principal Party in Interest" is a link that takes you to the Census site where you can look up the definition:
Who is the U.S. Principal Party in Interest (USPPI)?

The person in the United States (U.S.) that receives the primary benefit monetary or otherwise of the export transaction. Generally that person can be the:

1. U.S. Seller (wholesaler/distributor) of the merchandise for export.

2. U.S. Manufacturer if selling the merchandise for export.

3. U.S. Order Party - Party who directly negotiated between the U.S. seller and foreign buyer and received the order for the export of the merchandise.

4. Foreign Entity if in the U.S. when items are purchased or obtained for export. The foreign entity must be listed as the USPPI if it is in the United States when the items are purchased or obtained for export.

Back
Top Bottom