Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 60 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Apparently the Yanks have made the export process harder. No details but it sounds like to export you have to have a federal ID number which I gather is something like our SIN number.

If things haven't changed on this side of the border you can just leave the USA with the bike because Canada doesn't enforce USA laws.

That's what I heard when I imported mine a few years ago.

However you could run into problems if you take the bike back to the USA and for some reason the VIN is checked due to a ticket or collision.

This may have been posted but it appears Canadian Tire now has to email photos of the bike. Specifically the speedo, vin, exhaust, lights etc.

It doesn't take long and pretty easy but if you had a buddy that just stamped the forms and signed off they might not be able to do it any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apparently the Yanks have made the export process harder. No details but it sounds like to export you have to have a federal ID number which I gather is something like our SIN number.

If things haven't changed on this side of the border you can just leave the USA with the bike because Canada doesn't enforce USA laws.

That's what I heard when I imported mine a few years ago.

However you could run into problems if you take the bike back to the USA and for some reason the VIN is checked due to a ticket or collision.

Huh????? I just exported a bike through Queenston Lewiston at the beginning of June. It has gotten easier. Just email them the info and about an hour later you get a confirmation email back. That's it. Show up and export the bike:

Last edited:
This may have been posted but it appears Canadian Tire now has to email photos of the bike. Specifically the speedo, vin, exhaust, lights etc.

It doesn't take long and pretty easy but if you had a buddy that just stamped the forms and signed off they might not be able to do it any more.

Double huh??? They don't need photos of anything. Just fill out the forms while inspecting the bike and fax it, took me all of half an hour.

Double huh??? They don't need photos of anything. Just fill out the forms while inspecting the bike and fax it, took me all of half an hour.

The Service Manager showed me the bulletin from RIV to
Canadian Tire which outlined the need to take pictures. The pics must include the bike so, they didn't just come from an internet search.

Not making this up. Maybe the location I took the bike had been busted for violating the inspections in the past? I don't know. But, I don't think they would make more work for themselves if they didn't need to?

My inspection was done at the end of
May.

Anyone ever have a seller haul the bike over to Windsor/Niagara falls? I'm talking about a no title/salvage title race bike. What would the implications of this be for both parties? Is it even possible?

Last edited:
Anyone ever have a seller haul the bike over to Windsor/Niagara falls? I'm talking about a no title/salvage title race bike. What would the implications of this be for both parties? Is it even possible?

Anyone? I seem to remember reading something about it here but searching turned up nothing.

All the info you require is on this webpage, phone numbers for CBSA, RIV etc etc

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

Anything is possible just have to make sure you have all your ducks in a row

First phone call is to RIV make sure that it can be imported, CBSA has no clue whether vehicles are allowed or not that is up to RIV.

I've imported a race bike before, recall letter, competition only letter from race org, etc

I'm just curious if anyone has had a seller deliver a bike into canada before by just driving it across the border. The more i think about it though thr border agent just wouldn't let them into the country hauling a race bike probably

I've imported a race bike before, recall letter, competition only letter from race org, etc

I'm just curious if anyone has had a seller deliver a bike into canada before by just driving it across the border. The more i think about it though thr border agent just wouldn't let them into the country hauling a race bike probably

What if they were suddenly in SOAR and were just coming for a wildcard race? :)

New regulation with importing - Detroit Border.

Beside the 72 hr vin notice you are required to get EEI through AES and this like the vin is needed to be sent to the border 72 hrs before exporting.
This is costing me another trip
:( is this the same with other border ie lewiston?

www.aesdirect.gov

The Email system for 72 hour notice has been replaced. There is a new process (explained
below) for exporting commercial and personal self-propelled vehicles from the United States.

Effective April 5, 2014 the U.S. Census Bureau (Census) mandated filing of Electronic Export Information (EEI) through the Automated Export System (AES) or through AESDirect 72 hours prior to export for all used self-propelled vehicles regardless of value, condition or destination (ref: Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) 15 CFR Part 30). Census, in concurrence with CBP and the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), agreed to authorize a 180-day delayed enforcement period set to expire on October 2, 2014. As of date, previous filing exemptions, such as vehicles valued less than $2500 or those destined to Canada must now be filed in AES

In accordance with the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR), the U.S. Census Bureau (Census) mandates filing of Electronic Export Information (EEI) through the Automated Export System (AES) or through AESDirect for all used self-propelled vehicles 72 hours prior to export regardless of destination, value or condition. (Reference: Federal Register Notice 78 FR 16366, Title 15 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 30.2(a)(1)(iv)(H) and 15 CFR 30.4(b)(5).

These regulations apply to all used-self-propelled vehicles. First-time and one-time exports will require completion and submission of all mandatory AES filing requirements 72 hours prior to export.

Pursuant to 19 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 192 ownership documentation requirements, used self-propelled vehicles entered into the United States under an in-bond procedure, a carnet or Temporary Importation Bond (TIB) are also exempt from the EEI filing requirements.

Exporters, Carriers or Freight Forwarders must submit proof of ownership documentation as required under 19 CFR 192 along with the Internal Transaction Number (ITN) EEI/AES proof of filing (clearly visible on the export documentation) 72 hours prior to export.

Pursuant to the FTR, civil penalties not to exceed $10,000 per violation may be imposed for failure to file export information in AES, delayed filing, filing of false or misleading information, and other violations of the FTR.

Recommendations for assistance in initiating and completing this process may be found within the Frequently Asked Questions below.

· Exportation by vessel or aircraft. For those vehicles exported by vessel or aircraft, the required ownership documentation (clearly notating the AES-generated Internal Transaction Number (ITN)) and the vehicle must be presented to CBP at least 72 hours prior to export.
· Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power, the required ownership documentation and the ITN must be submitted to the CBP port of export at least 72 hours prior to departure. The vehicle must be presented to CBP at the time of exportation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is the Automated Export System (AES)?
Answer: The system for collecting Electronic Export Information (EEI) (or any successor document) from persons exporting goods from the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands; between Puerto Rico and the United States; and to the U.S. Virgin Islands from the United States or Puerto Rico.

Question: What is the Automated Export System Direct?
Answer: A free Internet application supported by the U.S. Census Bureau that allows U.S. Principal Parties In Interest (USPPIs), their authorized agent, or the authorized agent of the Foreign Principal Parties in Interest (FPPI) to transmit EEI through the AES via the Internet at www.aesdirect.gov.

Question: What is an Internal Transaction Number (ITN)?
Answer: The AES generated number assigned to a shipment confirming that an EEI transaction was accepted and is on file in the AES.

Question: What is an Electronic Export Information (EEI)?
Answer: The electronic export data filed in the Automated Export System (AES) or AESDirect. This is the electronic data information from a person exporting from the United States.

Question: What is an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?
Answer: An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a mandatory Internal Revenue Service (IRS) nine digit numerical assigned number which is used as the exporter’s unique identification in filing the AES transaction. An EIN should be applied for in advance, and is normally issued to the exporter (foreign and/or US-based) through an on-line process documented within the IRS website.

Question: Will a foreign entity be permitted to file the EEI in AES for used self-propelled vehicle for export?
Answer: A foreign entity must be a U.S. person or entity with an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a DUNS number to register and file the EEI in AES/AESDirect. If the foreign entity does not have an EIN or DUNS number, a U.S. agent must be located and authorized to file their export information in the AES/AESDirect. If a U.S. agent is authorized to file the EEI on their behalf, a border crossing number, passport number or any number assigned by CBP will be required to file in AES/AESDirect.

Question: I am a foreign entity with an EIN or DUNS number, how do I register in AESDirect?
Answer: AESDirect is a free filing online tool that processes Electronic Export Information (EEI). For directions on how to access and/or create an AESDirect account, refer to www.aesdirect.census.gov.

Question: What is the definition of a USPPI?
Answer: A U.S. Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) is the person or legal entity in the United States that receives the primary benefit, monetary or otherwise, from the export transaction. Generally, that person or entity is the U.S. seller, manufacturer, or order party, or the foreign entity while in the United States when purchasing or obtaining the goods for export.

Question: What is the definition of a FPPI?
Answer: A Foreign Principal Party in Interest (FPPI) is the party shown on the transportation document to whom final delivery or end-use of the goods will be made. This party may be the ultimate consignee.
For personal vehicle exports, the FPPI will normally be the person who purchased the vehicle in the U.S. and is completing the export transaction as the ultimate end-use registered owner.

Question: What is a U.S. Authorized Agent?
Answer: An individual or legal entity physically located in or otherwise under the jurisdiction of the United States that has obtained power of attorney or written authorization from a USPPI or FPPI to act on its behalf, and for purposes of this part, to complete and file the EEI.

Question: What identification number should a foreign entity provide to the U.S. agent authorized to file the AES or AESDirect on their behalf?
Answer: The foreign entity may provide a border crossing number, passport number, or any number assigned by CBP.

Question: I am a U.S. citizen moving to a foreign country and would like to export my vehicle. How do I file in AES?
Answer: If you are transporting your vehicle and have an EIN or DUNS number, you can register and file by utilizing AESDirect or hire an U.S. agent to file on your behalf.

Question: If the foreign entity is the USPPI (made the purchase for export while in the U.S.) or the foreign entity has a U.S. agent to file on their behalf, what U.S. address is required in AES or AESDirect?
Answer: The foreign entity, or authorized U.S. agent, will use the address location where the vehicle starts its journey to the port of export; i.e., this may be the address of a hotel or other address associated to the vehicle purchase acquisition transaction.

Question: In addition to the AES filing requirement, am I required to provide ownership documentation, such as the original vehicle title?

Answer: Yes, proof of ownership documentation is required in accordance with Title 19 Code of Federal Regulations Part 192. All documentation must be presented to the port of export 72 hours prior to export along with the Internal Transaction Number (ITN) AES generated number.

Question: If an exporter is having difficulties filing in AES or AESDirect, who is the appropriate point of contact for assistance?
Answer: Questions may be directed to the Census Bureau at 1-800-549-0595 or www.census.gov/trade with any AES/AESDirect questions or for guidance on Title 15 CFR Part 30-the Foreign Trade Regulations.

So has anyone tried bringing a bike over the border recently? How is the process? How much harder is it? Been 4 years for me, so need a refresher. Thanks.

I was planning on importing a bike FOR PARTS today... Importing to Canada is SUPER easy but now I just found out about the Exporting from USA process. Might have to delay if I have to go through that whole BS pre-clearance just for parts...
Heck, I may just strip it and leave the frame on the side of the road...

Hi i have one more questions

Im importing my bike from the middle east the bike was made with US specs for the state of New York im unable to obtain a letter which states it was sold in the USA from Honda America because im not a US resident and Canada customs wont release my bike until i get that letter. Can anyone help me with this please.

Just imported a 1977 Harley cafe racer and a 99 Fatboy . Being they are 15 years and older and exempt from the riv system. How long have I got to complete the registration in B.C. Is there a time limit? Thanks for any info.

I'm in California and want to get a bike and ride it home to Toronto. Seems like there is no way to avoid paying Cali tax unless the bike is shipped with no riding. Also, dealer says the title (on the used bike) will take 2 weeks to generate. Can I even import it by riding across the border before I have the title?

Any tips from someone who imported from Cali very appreciated.

It looks like you do need to file AES to export a bike from US now. I did some research and it looks like non-US citizen can't do it. Asking a private seller to register with AESDirect, take a certification quiz, etc. just to be able to sell to Canadians... Who will do that!?!?!
Anyway, it seems that the only way is to hire a broker. I came across this site: www.autoexports.us. Anybody used (or heard) anything about them?
Also, if someone imported a vehicle recently, could you share your experience? What broker did you use? How much did you pay for it?

I'm in California and want to get a bike and ride it home to Toronto. Seems like there is no way to avoid paying Cali tax unless the bike is shipped with no riding. Also, dealer says the title (on the used bike) will take 2 weeks to generate. Can I even import it by riding across the border before I have the title?

Any tips from someone who imported from Cali very appreciated.

Pay the Cali tax, its cheaper than PST that you will not pay since the bike will already be in your name. I did this 3yrs ago. Lots of storage for 1$ for the first month at the border. But you do need the AES submitted too, which you can easily do from Cali

Pay the Cali tax, its cheaper than PST that you will not pay since the bike will already be in your name. I did this 3yrs ago. Lots of storage for 1$ for the first month at the border. But you do need the AES submitted too, which you can easily do from Cali

What? I did pay the damn Cali tax, but do you think the bastards at Service Ontario did not charge me PST? Yeah, right. Didn't matter to them whose name it's in. Charged me the usual 5% at the border and 8% when getting the ONT plate.

It looks like you do need to file AES to export a bike from US now. I did some research and it looks like non-US citizen can't do it. Asking a private seller to register with AESDirect, take a certification quiz, etc. just to be able to sell to Canadians... Who will do that!?!?!
Anyway, it seems that the only way is to hire a broker. I came across this site: www.autoexports.us. Anybody used (or heard) anything about them?
Also, if someone imported a vehicle recently, could you share your experience? What broker did you use? How much did you pay for it?

You don't need a broker. You can submit the paperwork at https://www.autoexports.us yourself. I did use it this September.

Process is slightly convoluted, but just hang tight and follow instructions. Must have the bill of sale, title and what not ready and available to send them a scan/photo of. The fee is just the $75 shown on the website.

Give yourself plenty of time. I did it in a crunch and the online system would give me trouble like not allowing to select Saturday as day of export despite the fact that the crossing I was using was open 24/7. Had to call in and get the application amended.

Back
Top Bottom