Insurance Questions Answered: A Claim Adjuster's Perspective | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Questions Answered: A Claim Adjuster's Perspective

Liability question:
I am a single rider and have my bike and my car both insured. No other people live in the house, I live alone.
Why do I need to pay liability on both my car and my bike as theoretically i can only kill or maim someone with one, not both at the same time?
If every car/vehicle on the road requires liability, then why I am being told that liability protects me as an individual? If that were the case I should only pay liability on one, not both as me the person is liable?!
So if the vehicle requires the liability, and I did kill or injure someone, why would I care about the other party going after me? If the car requires liability coverage, it's of no consequence to me personally....its the car being sued, no? Or does it simply justify the insurance companies ability to levy an additional charge to my policy with some smoke and mirrors excuse of them insuring meto protect me blah blah blah.....seems to be yet another example of the legalized extortion in as related to insurance. is it vehicle or person that liability portion applies to?

This isn't a question about Claims, but rather a question about Pricing. This topic has been discussed a lot in my sticky thread here:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=65033

2smokewilleh, thanks for the great write-up :)

Here's my issue, my motorcycle was rear ended while parked in the parking lot. The driver fled the scene without leaving a note. Luckily I got his plate. It's been 2 weeks since I reported this to the collision center and my insurance company, and I'm afraid if the driver who fled already got rid of any evidence (damage) to his vehicle. If the cops don't find any evidence, would this claim still be considered a "no-fault"? My insurance will get back to me any day now, but the tension is killing me

Here's my issue, my motorcycle was rear ended while parked in the parking lot. The driver fled the scene without leaving a note. Luckily I got his plate. It's been 2 weeks since I reported this to the collision center and my insurance company, and I'm afraid if the driver who fled already got rid of any evidence (damage) to his vehicle. If the cops don't find any evidence, would this claim still be considered a "no-fault"? My insurance will get back to me any day now, but the tension is killing me

Were there witnesses?

Also, do you have Collision coverage? I could be wrong, but I believe hit-and-runs (where the at-fault party cannot be found) are usually covered by Collision, and your rate will not increase as a result.

no witness. no collision. i only have liability, fire, theft and vandalism(shouldn't this cover it???)

no witness. no collision. i only have liability, fire, theft and vandalism(shouldn't this cover it???)

I think it comes down to whether or not you can positively identify the other operator, and I really don't know if simply having a plate number is enough. If the other driver can be identified, then your damages will be covered under DCPD; however, if the other driver cannot be identified, then your damages would only be covered if you had Collision, and would be subject to your Collision deductible.

I have a quick question. Can I have my bike safetied now and not touch the bike, then put insurance on it in the spring once I get my licence or will I have to have it safetied again?

I have a quick question. Can I have my bike safetied now and not touch the bike, then put insurance on it in the spring once I get my licence or will I have to have it safetied again?

In order to get a plate, you need proof of insurance and a safety certificate. A safety certificate is valid for 30 days, and then it expires. If you get a safety now but don't get insurance, then you can't get plated. When you go to purchase your plate in the Spring, the MTO will want to see a valid safety, but yours will be expired and you will need to get a new one.

Ya that's what I thot but someone told
me I can safety it early and it can be approved fit to ride or something like that meanin I can just let it sit. Thanks

Ya that's what I thot but someone told
me I can safety it early and it can be approved fit to ride or something like that meanin I can just let it sit. Thanks

Perhaps I am wrong . . . I would just call the MTO and ask if you need an absolute answer (or post in the general forum).

Perhaps I am wrong . . . I would just call the MTO and ask if you need an absolute answer (or post in the general forum).

I believe you can register your bike as fit now and be issued plates. However, they won't issue the validation sticker until you have proof of insurance. Consider the process of applying for vanity plates - you don't have to put them on any particular car until you're ready to do so. Based on that, I don't see why they couldn't give you a standard plate, but without the validation sticker. Just because I let my validation sticker or insurance lapse, doesn't mean I have to immediately surrender my plates to the MTO.

Last edited:
Enclosed with my renewal with TD, was a summary of important changes to your policy sheet. One of the changes lists a deductible of $30,000 when suing for pain and suffering and an option to reduce that deductible to $20,000. Does this effectively close the door on a person's ability/incentive to sue for pain and suffering? Does your prior example of at fault/not at fault apply, where the deductible applies when at fault and doesn't apply when not at fault?

I would like to dispute some of what was said by the insurance adjuster. My very good friend, yes he has a body shop, won't tell who he is' All these prefered insurance body shops are cut rate body shops. They make their money on the volume of cars that come and go. The insurance rates that the insurance companies pay just barely pay for repairs with a very thin margin of profit if any. On some insurance repairs he has done, he has lost money on it. In other means, he subsudized the insurance company to repair the auto. Should you have, say a 2003 to 2006 Dodge mini van, they use the same doors, trunk lid and other parts. To make money, the body shop will order, say a trunk lid from a wrecking yard because they are lest to one half the cost of a new one. Insurance companies do not like to put new parts on a damage veheicle because an OEM part is very expensive. Their motto, do it cheap and get the car back on the road.

Again with the trunk lid, you have a brand new 2006 in 2006 and someone drove into your rear end and damaged your lid, the body shop puts a 2003 lid on which has a few rust spots, an we all know dodge mini vans have a bad habit of rusting fast, they fix the lid and put it on your van. A year latter you notice rust spots on it. What do you do????????????????/ Go to the body shop???????????? He tell you, go to your insurance company. The insurance company says, go to the body shop. You are the meat between the bread. Believe me I seen it happen many times. As for inspectors checking it during it is beeing fixed and after, It is so rare I cannot remember ever seeing it. If you have a car that is between one to two years old and is a very and I mean very low milage car, insist to the insurance adjuster you will only accept brand new OEM parts to repair it. If the adjuster quotes you that is what they call "BETTERMENT", tell the body shop owner to go and buy the parts and you will pay for them and then after your car is fixed, you can settle with the insurance company. On refusing you new parts, they are in contreventon of your insurance policy. You control what goes on your car like you control where you get it fixed

Even if you do not get anything back or the insurance does not pay for new parts or only pay for what they would have paid for a wrecking yard part, you won't have rusty holes appearing in a year to eighteen months after repairs have been done. Again I say, Insurance companies want it done as cheap or cheaper as possible. My friend will not deal with any insurance jobs anymore as it is nothing but a hassle with them. The adjuster walks in and says, this is what we will pay you to fix this vehicle. Ask yourself this question?????? Can you walk into an insurance company and say, "This is the amount I will pay you for my insurance coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you own a business, you set your rates, charges. Do I like Insurance Companies????????? Let me know Flame suit on. Fire away. I can fire back to. Roger

GYMPY

Insurance companies do not use New parts on the majority of repairs because if you have a 2006 vehicle that door is also not a new part. Insurance works on the basis of idemnity. Meaning they put you back into the position you were prior to the loss. If they put a brand new door on 2006 Dodge then you are in a better position then you were prior to the loss. The body shop rates for labour are pretty stremlined laying anywhere between $50-60 dollars an hour. I am not sure what insurance companies you dealt with but I can say 100% that every repair we had an appraiser out to see the vehicle, taking pictures. We were constantly in contact with each shop to monitor the repairs. Any supplements that the shop is requesting the appraiser is back out there to approve and take more pictures to document the file.

Corkey, Corkey my boy. You seem to be really upset at me. Could I be stirring the pot to much. You either missread my post or you are trying to change what I said. I quoted a 2003, and a 2006 dodge caravan which the latter would be a year old with nearly no millage on it. I then quoted the adjuster telling us to use a door off a 2003 caravan which had rust on it. Now, got it right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a year or so that oll 2003 door would have rust in it because now it was four years old and the rest of the van was only two years old. A new OEM door was in order and that was not "BETTERMENT" as there was no rust on that 2006 door. This actually happen in 2006 as it was "MY VAN". Yes I did get my new door as I threaten to buy it with my own money. Insurance did pay for it. Capitals are only to emphasize what I am saying. No yelling at you is meant in any way or form. I am from the old school of typing. Roger

These forums are used for conversation about insurance. I really don't get upset about discussing insurance. I must have misread you post. If the car was new at the time then yes, a new door should have went on. Sometimes a simple call to the adjuster to discuss the issue can resolve the problem. Some companies have great claims service and others not so much. This is no different in the body repair industry, banking, or restuarant. It obviously appears that you have had major issues with insurance companies which is unfortunate.

Back
Top Bottom