Fl Light Warning | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fl Light Warning

coffey

Hello!

I am new to the forum! Long time lurker.

I started riding a two months ago (I have M2). I riding a CBR125.

I encounter a problem yesterday heading home on 427 hwy.

The Fl light came on when I was operating the motorcycle. I got off the hwy and pull into the a parking lot.

I turned off the bike and I took out the manual to find out why the light came on.

I check with manual and it tells me to bring the motorcycle to a Honda dealership for servicing.

I put back away the manual and got on the back and turn it on. Everything was normal again.

I rode it back home and while I was a block away from my house, the Fl light came back on again!

I was wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem the light came on?

Am I looking at a costly fix for this problem?

And can anyone refer to me a good bike shop or mechanic to have this looked over?

Any suggestion will be much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Welcome!
One step at a time. How old is the bike?

Purchased from a private seller or a dealer? When was it last serviced?

I purchased it from a friend. I don't believe my friend had it serviced at any point he had possession of it.

I believe he had done regular maintenance to it like oil change. I've changed the oil, brake fluid, and coolant myself.

I've rode about two months with the above maintenance done by myself no problem. I am not sure about what the previous owner before my friend had done.

I am the third owner of this bike.

Edit: UPDATE: I just spoke with my friend who is the 2nd owner of the motorcycle. He mention had never brought it to the shop for service, and the 1st owner never mention if he had serviced as well.

I forgot to mention that while I was riding on the hwy there was quite of traffic (rush hour). And the bike temperature was basically around the middle. I was riding at very low speed and bike might've been overheated? My friend suggest I changed the filter.

Last edited:
Ok...
FI warning light can be an indication of failing FUEL INJECTION and/or IGNITION SYSTEM.
I can think of 2 things: fuel filter or plugs/wires.

I would recommend taking it to a Honda dealer and have them check for the saved error codes in your ECM.
If you, however, on a handy side and want to save a few bucks, here is how to self diagnose...

While the engine is running and the motorcycle is being used, the FI light will come on and stay on. When the motorcycle is on its side stand and the is running below 5000 revs the FI light will flash, the pattern of the flashes indicating the code for the fault the ECM has identified.

If the engine can be started, place the motorcycle on its side stand and then start the engine and allow it to idle. Whilst the engine is idling, observe the FI warning light on the instrument cluster.

If the engine cannot be started, or to check for any stored fault codes even though the FI light is not illuminated, remove the seat to gain access to the fuel injectionsystem service check wiring connector, which is a white 3-pin ( 2 wire ) single sided connector inside the rubber boot close to the tail light.
Ensure the ignition is switched OFF then bridge the outer terminals of the service check connector with an auxiliary piece of wire.
With the terminals connected make sure the kill switch is in the run position then turn the ignition ON and observe the FI warning light.
If there are no stored codes the FI light will come on and stay on.
If there are stored fault codes, the FI light will flash.

The fuel injection system warning light uses long (1.3 second) and short (.5 second) flashes to give out the fault code. A long flash is used to indicate the first digit of a double digit fault code (i.e. 10 or above). If a single digit fault code is being displayed (i.e. 1 to 9) there will be a number of short flashes equivalent to the code being displayed.
For example, two long flashes followed by five short flashes indicate the fault code number twenty five. If there is more than one fault code, there will be a gap before the other codes are revealed ( the codes will be revealed in order , starting with the lowest and ending with the highest ). Once all the code(s) have been revealed, the ECM will continuously run through the code(s) stored in its memory, revealing each one in turn with a short gap between them.

Once the fault has been identified and corrected, it will be necessary to reset the system by removing the fault code from the ECM memory. To do this, ensure the ignition is switched OFF then bridge the terminals of the service check connector as before.
Turn the ignition ON then disconnect the bridge wire from the service check connector.
When the wire is removed the FI light should come on for approximately five seconds, during which time the bridging wire must be reconnected.
The warning light should start to flash when the bridging wire is reconnected, indicating that all the fault codes have been erased. However, if the light flashes twenty times then the memory has not been erased and the procedure should be repeated.
Turn off the ignition then remove the bridging wire.
Check the operation of the warning light (in some cases it may be necessary to repeat the erasing procedure more than once) then replace the seat.

FAULT CODE

SYMPTOM

POSSIBLE CAUSE

Engine runs normally
Faulty MAP sensor or wiring
Engine runs normally
Faulty MAP sensor / vacuum hose
Engine difficult to start at low temp.
Faulty coolant temp. sensor or wiring
Poor throttle response
Faulty throttle position sensor or wiring
Engine runs normally
Faulty intake air temp. sensor or wiring
10 ( see note 1)
Engine runs poor at high altitude
Faulty atmospheric pressure sensor
engine operates normally
Faulty speed sensor or wiring
Engine does not start
Faulty no. 1 fuel injector
Engine does not start
Faulty no. 2 fuel injector
Engine does not start
Faulty no. 3 fuel injector
Engine does not start
Faulty no. 4 fuel injector
Engine does not start
Faulty cam pulse gen.r or wiring
Engine does not start
Faulty ignition pulse gen. or wiring
engine operates normally
Faulty EPROM in ECM
engine operates normally
Faulty knock sensor or wiring

The following codes are only applicable to models with catalytic converter.

engine operates normally
faulty oxygen sensor
engine operates normally
Faulty oxygen sensor heat element

Note 1.
code 10 is only on the 1999 to 2000 X and Y models

[credits go to clinkers]

First off, thank you so much for your help AL3RT!

While the engine is running and the motorcycle is being used, the FI light will come on and stay on. When the motorcycle is on its side stand and the is running below 5000 revs the FI light will flash, the pattern of the flashes indicating the code for the fault the ECM has identified.

How long do I need to run the bike to see the FI lights come on? Because it just disappears after I turn on the bike. And do I actually need to rev it under 5000rpm the whole time until the FI lights comes?

If the engine cannot be started, or to check for any stored fault codes even though the FI light is not illuminated, remove the seat to gain access to the fuel injectionsystem service check wiring connector, which is a white 3-pin ( 2 wire ) single sided connector inside the rubber boot close to the tail light.
Ensure the ignition is switched OFF then bridge the outer terminals of the service check connector with an auxiliary piece of wire.
With the terminals connected make sure the kill switch is in the run position then turn the ignition ON and observe the FI warning light.
If there are no stored codes the FI light will come on and stay on.
If there are stored fault codes, the FI light will flash.

I kinda confused where to look for the FI system connector? I took some pictures here:

Backseat/Tail Light Area: http://i.imgur.com/IX11yTB.jpg
Battery Area: http://i.imgur.com/1sDXQIL.jpg

Is there more covers or parts I have to remove to locate this connector?

If your FI light was on, but then went off, your problem maybe intermittent.

Download this shop manual and begin reading through Section 5: FUEL SYSTEM (PGM-FI)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9kroxkPHonYcWJuUzgxQmRaTUk/edit?usp=sharing

Worst case scenario, you might have to replace your ECM. But I hope it doesn't come to that point.

Good luck!

Hey AL3RT,

Thank you so much for digging up all this info for me. I read the section you recommended and some others.

I am little confused about what do I really need to do after I locate this FI Connector? What am I going to connect to it to read the error codes?

You might have to take apart more of the tail section to find the plug.

If the manual is correct it should have the code stored in memory.

Thanks for tip, N3WMAN. I think I understand where I need to look after reading manual which AL3RT provided.

I will confirm with pictures before I proceed to do anything.

On the side note: I rode the motorcycle on the hwy for 50km in the morning and the FI light did not come on again.

I am wondering out of curiosity could the FI light came on because it was heat or overheat related? Because my ride this morning was pretty chilly and windy.

The temperature gauge didn't move even close to the middle this time. It stayed near Cold.

Thanks for everyone help on this matter. I am sorry if I cluttering this forum with newbie's problems :(

Get someone with some mechanical experience to look over your bike soon. On most vehicles, the temperature gauge staying low indicates problems (such as low coolant), maybe the 125 is different, I don't know.

Getting multiple issues popping up on multiple systems needs to be investigated.

Before getting deep into the diagnostics ... You do NOT need access to the diagnostic connector on that bike to find out what fault code the ECU has recorded.

If the warning lamp comes on again, come to a stop in a suitable (safe) location without shutting off the engine, shift to neutral, put the sidestand down and watch the flash pattern from the FI warning lamp. Get back to us with the number of long flashes and the number of short flashes (e.g. to pick a random example, code "54" is indicated by five long flashes followed by four short flashes, then a longer gap, then repeating.

It's not related to coolant (engine) temperature. (Wiring, sensors, etc are another matter.)

Last edited:
Get someone with some mechanical experience to look over your bike soon. On most vehicles, the temperature gauge staying low indicates problems (such as low coolant), maybe the 125 is different, I don't know.

Getting multiple issues popping up on multiple systems needs to be investigated.

Thanks for the suggestions, GreyGhost. I don't have any friends that rides or know about motorcycles.

I think I will bring it into Ted @ Rosey Toes if the FI lights comes back on while I am riding.

I read a lot of great reviews about this shop on this forum.

Before getting deep into the diagnostics ... You do NOT need access to the diagnostic connector on that bike to find out what fault code the ECU has recorded.

If the warning lamp comes on again, come to a stop in a suitable (safe) location without shutting off the engine, shift to neutral, put the sidestand down and watch the flash pattern from the FI warning lamp. Get back to us with the number of long flashes and the number of short flashes (e.g. to pick a random example, code "54" is indicated by five long flashes followed by five short flashes, then a longer gap, then repeating.

It's not related to coolant (engine) temperature. (Wiring, sensors, etc are another matter.)

Thank you, Brian P.

I will definitely follow your instructions! I just hope I can remember the blink sequences if the FI lights comes on while I am riding again.

I don't know much about motorcycle maintenance and troubleshooting. I am learning on the go!

Thank you everyone for your help! Much appreciated! I would have no idea what to do if it wasn't for this forum and you guys! Thank you!

I will keep you guys posted with updates! Sorry once again if I sound too newbie!

Hello again,

The FI Light has came back to haunt once again!

I made a recording of the blink sequences, and if I understand correctly the problem appears to be related to the O2 Sensor.

See video of the blink sequences here: http://videobam.com/NTcdG
MIL Blink Codes: http://i.imgur.com/ITxZqeF.jpg

Two Long Blinks = 20 + One Short Blink = 1
DTC (MIL Blinks) 21-1 (21) - O2 Sensor Malfunction

I checked the connector and it appears to be connected firmly (not loose).

I am concerned that it may cost a lot to fix. I was wondering if anyone in the past had encountered a similar problem like this?

I am just worry about huge numbers right now :(

I called a few shops that had great reviews from GTA members, but they all say they can't help me with this problem.

They said I need to bring my motorcycle to an actual Honda Dealership for service.

What is the worst I can expect to happen? Cost to fix? Etc...? :(

Nope ... The parts involved are not expensive, and that sensor is dead simple to deal with.

Since you know where the connector is (facing sideways into the cylinder head near the exhaust port), you know where the sensor is. It simply screws into the side of the cylinder head. Removal and replacement is dead simple.

The shop manual calls for the short piece of cable leading to the O2 sensor to be replaced. You know where one end of that cable is. Getting to the other end of it requires removing some of the fairings but it's still just one plug next to the frame rail leading down to the engine mount.

I've never replaced that cable when dealing with the O2 sensor on those bikes. Get a price on the sensor and the cable from the Honda dealer. First buy the sensor and swap that out (it unscrews and re-installs just like a spark plug - DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN IT) and if that doesn't solve the problem, buy the cable and replace that.

Back
Top Bottom