Anyone running one mirror? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone running one mirror?

SquidsRus

I recently "revamped" my bike and want to run a one mirror setup... But the laws on mirrors are seemingly unclear. Anyone on here that can shed some light? "OHTA 66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,
(a) a device for cleaning rain, snow and other moisture from the windshield so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver;
(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).
Exception
(2) Clause (1) (b) applies to all motorcycles except those manufactured in or imported into Canada before the 1st day of January, 1971. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (2)."

It is pretty clear - as far as I can see - at least one mirror, OR mirrors (could be two, or more than 2).

So... One mirror is OK.

Last edited:
Been using one mirror for years. Never been hassled by the fuzz.

legally you need to have one, and it has to be on the left as far as I can recall. My 89 CBR had just a left and I was pulled over in London for it a few times. So I looked it up and the next time a cop hasseled me about it I explained to thim that the bike fell within the rules.

Running a left bar-end until my new ones come in the mail. Been pulled over, the cop didn't even seem to notice the lack of mirrors up top. Guy that gave me my safety says it meets regulations, so there should be 0 issue.

Sweet, thanks guys!

It is pretty clear - as far as I can see - at least one mirror, OR mirrors (could be two, or more than 2).

So... One mirror is OK.

Ya you're right... It's very clear... You need 2

Motorcycles

(13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,

(a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm2 (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or

(b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm2 (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).

I run just one and never been bugged about it.

legally you need to have one, and it has to be on the left as far as I can recall. My 89 CBR had just a left and I was pulled over in London for it a few times. So I looked it up and the next time a cop hasseled me about it I explained to thim that the bike fell within the rules.

Maybe you should look it up again

Motorcycles

(13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,

(a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm2 (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or

(b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm2 (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).

You are quoting a different statue / regulation. There are two issues:

Do both regulation apply to the operator / owner?
If so, which regulation takes precedent over the other?

Just as a side note, cops are going to ticket the drivers based on HTA.

Motorcycles

That's for manufacture, importation, etc.. The HTA doesn't carry the same requirement.

Other equipment

Windshield wiper, mirror

66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(a) a device for cleaning rain, snow and other moisture from the windshield so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver;
(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

Exception

(2) Clause (1) (b) applies to all motorcycles except those manufactured in or imported into Canada before the 1st day of January, 1971. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (2).

The HTA says you're not allowed to have a flashing headlight... but the Canadian regulations says you can.

The Canadian regulations supersede the HTA

The HTA says you're not allowed to have a flashing headlight... but the Canadian regulations says you can.

The Canadian regulations supersede the HTA

Tell that to the guy writing you a ticket.

In other words, you are incorrect. You might have an avenue to fight a ticket if your vehicle has something that was accepted by the Federal Government as original equipment but you are only required to have the equipment mandated by Provincial law, when operating a vehicle on a Provincial highway.

Tell that to the guy writing you a ticket.

In other words, you are incorrect. You might have an avenue to fight a ticket if your vehicle has something that was accepted by the Federal Government as original equipment but you are only required to have the equipment mandated by Provincial law, when operating a vehicle on a Provincial highway.

Proof?

OK, I have now my coffee and I am reading again what you posted.

You are quoting the applicable section (mirrors) from the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations which is part of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA). This is "an Act to regulate the manufacture and importation of motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment to reduce the risk of death, injury and damage to property and the environment".

Police officers do not enforce the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, or its regulations, on drivers. You will never, ever get a ticket because the Motor Vehicle Safety Act says "Every motorcycle shall have (a mirror) mounted on each side". It is not going to happen.

Who enforces the Motor Vehicle Safety Act? "Enforcement officials are individuals designated as inspectors under the <ABBR title="Motor Vehicle Safety Act">MVSA"</ABBR>

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/tp-tp12957-menu-173.htm#enforcement

So, the only applicable regulation (to me, as a motorcycle rider) to use only one mirror is the HTA.

I removed both mirrors because they were completely useless (had them off for about a year) and only body-shoulder checking before making the turn (I think all riders should be doing this) I did find it was tougher to check the right side so I installed a bar end mirror which definitely helped on visibility and blind spot checking.

ok then, where's the regulation as to how big the mirror has to be. If you NEED at least one mirror then there must be a minimum size. Where do you think the cop will look for a minimum size mirror needed if you are running dime size mirrors?

Sure you probably will be able to fight it (and probably win) because the HTA is not clear but you'll still have to go to court to fight it.

ok then, where's the regulation as to how big the mirror has to be. If you NEED at least one mirror then there must be a minimum size. Where do you think the cop will look for a minimum size mirror needed if you are running dime size mirrors?

Sure you probably will be able to fight it (and probably win) because the HTA is not clear but you'll still have to go to court to fight it.

Case law, of course; where they determine all of that sort of thing.

The HTA isn't clear on aftermarket exhausts, either. Doesn't mean they can't get a conviction.

Where do you think the cop will look for a minimum size mirror needed if you are running dime size mirrors?

Are you still suggesting that the cops carry around a copy of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations to give tickets to drivers?

I thought it was already established they do not.

Back
Top Bottom