rebuild title | GTAMotorcycle.com

rebuild title

I got my M2 September 2009 and can go after my M anytime but haven't been on a bike since 2009. I bought a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 for $1800 and just got the insurance and plates today. I did not notice that the title was rebuilt and the woman at the office said I was the 3rd owner and the bike was in Manitoba before. She was a bit unsure if I could get plates but it passed on the system. The bike got insurance and passed safety and the mechanic said the bike is in good shape for a beginner. I ask if the bike shakes when driven and he said the only issue was the bike wasn't holding a charge. Should the rebuilt title be a issue. I am most likely not keeping this bike past this season at the latest.

I wasn't asking what rebuild is. Does others here have any experience buying and riding a rebuild and are there any issues with owning and re-selling a rebuild bike.

"NOTE: Some vehicles are exempt from branding under the new program: trailers, traction engines, farm tractors, road-building machines, bicycles, motor-assisted bicycles, motorized snow vehicles, streetcars and motor vehicles with a model year of 1980 or earlier. For motorcycles, only the "Irreparable" brand will apply."

In Ontario there is no "rebuilt" for motorcycles. They are either clear title, or scrap. If it's ever been 'branded', then it can never be licensed for the road. You need to have a clean, unbranded frame in order to license a motorcycle for on-road use.

"NOTE: Some vehicles are exempt from branding under the new program: trailers, traction engines, farm tractors, road-building machines, bicycles, motor-assisted bicycles, motorized snow vehicles, streetcars and motor vehicles with a model year of 1980 or earlier. For motorcycles, only the "Irreparable" brand will apply."

In Ontario there is no "rebuilt" for motorcycles. They are either clear title, or scrap. If it's ever been 'branded', then it can never be licensed for the road. You need to have a clean, unbranded frame in order to license a motorcycle for on-road use.

Not true, you used to be able to rebuild them at one time. Not anymore and I dont remember when they changed it, but his bike is a 92 so it could have been done before the change...My friend owns a rebuilt title ZX10

You can no longer get a rebuilt title, but if you already have a bike with one, your still able to change ownership and keep it on the street. I usually see this with bikes that were issued rebuilt title out of province, as I believe Ontario eliminated the ability to do so before other provinces. So you couldnt get a rebuilt here in ontario, but you could do it out of province then transfer ownership here

Last edited:
I got my M2 September 2009 and can go after my M anytime but haven't been on a bike since 2009. I bought a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 for $1800 and just got the insurance and plates today. I did not notice that the title was rebuilt and the woman at the office said I was the 3rd owner and the bike was in Manitoba before. She was a bit unsure if I could get plates but it passed on the system. The bike got insurance and passed safety and the mechanic said the bike is in good shape for a beginner. I ask if the bike shakes when driven and he said the only issue was the bike wasn't holding a charge. Should the rebuilt title be a issue. I am most likely not keeping this bike past this season at the latest.

If a mechanic looked it over then Id say your good reguardless of title as far as mechanical goes. Just keep in mind resale value will be lower then the same bike that doesnt have a rebuilt title. Ive bought salvage or irreparable that were just fine to ride, sometimes just cosmetic damage will get it branded but the bike is actually safe to ride...So its really up to how well the bike was fixed and what the damage was in the first place...

Not true, you used to be able to rebuild them at one time. Not anymore and I dont remember when they changed it, but his bike is a 92 so it could have been done before the change...My friend owns a rebuilt title ZX10

You can no longer get a rebuilt title, but if you already have a bike with one, your still able to change ownership and keep it on the street. I usually see this with bikes that were issued rebuilt title out of province, as I believe Ontario eliminated the ability to do so before other provinces. So you couldnt get a rebuilt here in ontario, but you could do it out of province then transfer ownership here

You have a point there. It has been quite a few years since they made motorcycles a digital issue, in Ontario, but it was in just 2007 that they extended that to vehicles that were brought in, from other Provinces. Since this bike was from Manitoba, that's why it skated. It likely came in before then.

D. Out-of-Province Vehicles

1. My vehicle has a brand in another jurisdiction. Now I want to register it in Ontario. What will happen?

Vehicle brand information from other Canadian or US jurisdictions will be carried forward when these vehicles are registered in Ontario with the exception of the "Rebuilt" brand. Imported vehicles with a Rebuilt designation or its equivalent from other Canadian or US jurisdictions will be registered as "Salvage" in Ontario thus requiring them to undergo a structural inspection to ensure that the vehicle has been properly repaired before being branded as "Rebuilt" in Ontario.

2. My vehicle has been branded in another jurisdiction and identified as having fire and/or flood damage. Now I want to register it in Ontario. What will happen? NEW

Ontario has expanded its recognition of brands for imported vehicles. The brand of “irreparable” will be applied to all imported branded vehicles previously identified with “fire or flood” damage regardless of the brand identified on the title. For example, if a customer has a Certificate of Title or other acceptable proof of registration with a brand of “salvage” and a description of “flood damage or fire damage”, it must be branded as “irreparable”.

Out of Province Motorcycles NEW

3.My motorcycle has a brand in another jurisdiction. Now I want to register it in Ontario. What will happen?

All imported motorcycles previously branded “salvage”, “rebuilt” or an equivalent brand will be branded “irreparable” when registered in Ontario. This means that the vehicle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario’s roads.

4. When is the effective date of this new policy?

This policy became effective on July 16, 2007.

Is a permit still issued for these motorcycles?

Yes, the regular green vehicle permit is still issued. A permit is not issued for vehicles that are “wrecked” which means they have been crushed or dismantled.

Is anyone exempted from this requirement, i.e., dealers, wreckers, etc.?

There are no exemptions from this requirement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom