What tires to get?

Thread: What tires to get?

What tires to get?

I have a stock FZ6 for road use that I also want to track. I need a new front tire so I will replace both F & R for something more track worthy, and BT016 have been recommended (they seem to be the convention at track days). But the convention isn't necessarily the right choice for me, and my concern is that... I have a stock FZ6.

As a sport-tourer the suspension is probably not going to handle good sticky tires as well as a proper sport bike would. I know from my experience with cars that if I get something too sporty for the suspension then I will have more grip than I can comfortably exploit, which will make track duty kinda frustrating. Besides, I put 14000km on it in the past year so it won't hurt to have a little bit more durable tires.

Currently I have BT021, but that may be a little too tame (especially the rear which is dual-compound). So my question is, what is the grippiest tire that my bike is likely to be able to exploit fully? Maybe it is BT016s, I dunno.
    There is no planet B.

Re: What tires to get?

I just put a set of bt016's on my cbr...
    ...I think they're a great tire.

My CBR is definitely a swiss army knife - I just blasted to the east coast and back in 3.5days, hit mosport a few times this year, and drive every day around the gta to meetings or just for ice cream with the gf.

I'm sure there's a tire that will last longer, but personally I don't want less confidence going into a turn - I want more. If you're going to the track you like to ride quickly - why handicap yourself for the sake of a couple hundred bucks?

J.
    Treeline Catering
    InsanelyGoodFood.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    As a sport-tourer the suspension is probably not going to handle good sticky tires as well as a proper sport bike would.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I have a stock FZ6 for road use that I also want to track. I need a new front tire so I will replace both F & R for something more track worthy, and BT016 have been recommended (they seem to be the convention at track days). But the convention isn't necessarily the right choice for me, and my concern is that... I have a stock FZ6.

dot race or slicks are the convention at trackdays.

check out Michelin power ones, BT003RS, Diablo Corsa 3's in addition to the BT016

I can sell you a set of Metzeler Racetec tires. These are race dot tires.

sounds like you answered your own question,why not go to one of the sponsoring dealers on this site that their employees race or do lots of track days and install what they recomend,then you are sure of getting what you need,

I used to have an FZ6, and I run BT016Rs on my track bike.

BT016Rs aren't as sticky as you think they are, they are a great street tire that can handle entry level track-days but compared to slicks or d.o.t race tire they aren't 'sticky'. However BT016 or Pilot Powers should be fine for your first track-day on your FZ6 (there are a lot of opinions when it comes to tires especially for track-days )

I am going to parrot an fz6 forum; you should take off your center stand for the track-day because you will probably drag it. You can also drag your side stand but not before your center stand. Also a lot of people that track their FZ6s also put in 15w fork oil or do the "r6 front fork mod".

I have a tonne of other advice/opinions but you didn't ask for it and I don't want to thread-jack ...

Quote Originally Posted by rev-fz6 View Post
    I used to have an FZ6, and I run BT016Rs on my track bike.

BT016Rs aren't as sticky as you think they are, they are a great street tire that can handle entry level track-days but compared to slicks or d.o.t race tire they aren't 'sticky'. However BT016 or Pilot Powers should be fine for your first track-day on your FZ6 (there are a lot of opinions when it comes to tires especially for track-days )

I am going to parrot an fz6 forum; you should take off your center stand for the track-day because you will probably drag it. You can also drag your side stand but not before your center stand. Also a lot of people that track their FZ6s also put in 15w fork oil or do the "r6 front fork mod".

I have a tonne of other advice/opinions but you didn't ask for it and I don't want to thread-jack ...
    That's funny cause i've run them in race conditions, obviously not as good as slicks or even race dot's, but still a damn good tire.
    SOAR Novice #113

I realize my question was a bit esoteric but we seem to be getting to the essence of the matter now. I still appreciate everyone's response of course.

So my concern was that the recommended tires wouldn't suit my bike as well as some other tire option might do, and since I will be making zero changes to the suspension, the only way to match the tires/suspension will be to choose the right tire.

I'm starting to think that I'll just go with the BT-016s for now, and over time I'll figure out if there's a better tire for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rev-fz6 View Post
    Appreciated, but I'm sure I would appreciate your advice even more! I will start another thread with some specific questions on prepping for the track day, please feel free to throw in all the weight of your expertise in that thread!
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    That's funny cause i've run them in race conditions, obviously not as good as slicks or even race dot's, but still a damn good tire.
    Oh they are, but the OP was was worried they were too good, and I felt he was thinking they were like slicks or something. Like I said, I run BT016 on my track bike.

it's not a bad idea to put on a few hundred KM's on new tires if you take them to the track.......

i also run the bt016 on my bike - no complaints

I ran a 1:18.09 on BT 016 tires, they work very well