Race number on tail section

Thread: Race number on tail section

Race number on tail section

Would a single number, across the tail section from left to right, be sufficient for RACE and SOAR? Traditionally you'd have a number on each side but I have seen this single number tail on some pro race bikes but they seem to get away with crazy fonts and not conforming to the digit height requirement... So I just want to make sure that as a "nobody" I won't be told to change my tail numbering when I show up for a race.

Thanks guys.

-Dave
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

Re: Race number on tail section

Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
    Would a single number, across the tail section from left to right, be sufficient for RACE and SOAR? Traditionally you'd have a number on each side but I have seen this single number tail on some pro race bikes but they seem to get away with crazy fonts and not conforming to the digit height requirement... So I just want to make sure that as a "nobody" I won't be told to change my tail numbering when I show up for a race.

Thanks guys.

-Dave
    Good for us cant say for RACE as long as you can read it

I know of a few bikes at RACE that have a single number on the top of the tail.

You can either have it legible from behind the bike or from the left side of the bike, i've seen both.

Thanks. I just checked the RACE rule book and they say 3 numbers but then say that modern bikes with no room for the 8 inch high numbers must have numbers clearly displayed... so I guess if I can fit 3 numbers I should just put 3 on. Just might need to get more vinyl.

-Dave
    -Dave

It depends really.

R6, 675, 600RR, Newer ZX6R, 1000RR all have tiny little tail sections so to put two numbers on them you're only going to be able to put a 4"ish tall number on them.

As long as its clearly legible, you can go either way. Whichever you prefer.

It's on my SV so I should have room on both sides, I just don't want to have it on both sides. Maybe you're right though. I could put smaller than regulation numbers on each side and see if I get away with it. RACE claims they give one race grace period for stuff like that so at least I wouldn't be stuck when I get that, as I originally expected.

-Dave
    -Dave

Don't worry too much about the size of the numbers themselves.

As long as you have clearly visible number's and they're the right colour you should be ok.

I do a bit of vinyl work, let me know if you need any help with the #'s. I'm going up to Shannonville this weekend too if that's when you'd need em for.

Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
    It's on my SV so I should have room on both sides, I just don't want to have it on both sides. Maybe you're right though. I could put smaller than regulation numbers on each side and see if I get away with it. RACE claims they give one race grace period for stuff like that so at least I wouldn't be stuck when I get that, as I originally expected.

-Dave
    If you can have it on both sides, do so. An SV tail section can easily host a pair of numbers.

It sounds like you are doing it more for asthetics than function. Remember, your number on your bike is to help identify you while you move around the track. That way, when your body work has caught fire (enter similar danger here) they know who you are and can pull you over for your safety. Or, in case you crash large, and the medics are trying to spoon your guts back into your leathers, then at a glance everyone knows who you are from the numbers on your bike, and on your helmet.

The late model R6's have no sides to their tail - only a trailing edge - so the only solution for numbering is across the top.

the SV from any generation does not have this problem.

Grimmy, you make some very sobering and valid points. haha...

The main reason I asked the question is because I'm doing the SMP trackday 2 weeks from now and they require numbers for ID. I wanted to make sure I only have to do my numbers once and be covered for RACE and SOAR. I just got my bodywork and will be painting it this week, and wanted to get it done as quickly as possible which meant using the vinyl I have instead of finding someone who can help me. I think I have enough anyway, so I'll try to get the tail numbers as large as possible with what I have.

Thanks for the input guys. Caboose, if I need some more vinyl I'll PM you, thanks. I won't be racing until next season.

-Dave
    -Dave

Some shops like Sturgess Cycle carry IN STOCK every number in 6 and 8 inch sizes.

they come in 3 packs, so if your number is say, 15, then you would only need 1 pack for #1 and one pack for #5 to label your whole bike. They are pre cut, motocross style numbers. Peel and stick.

Grab one extra set as spares in case ya bin it, and you are all set.

If you meet RACE specs for numbering with the 3 number placards, you will meet all other series in Canada.

I have these on my SV and they're pretty visible. I think they're 5 or 6 inch numbers.
    Last edited by Rob; 12-31-2009 at 01:44 PM.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

I'm going to go with 6" numbers in a very plain font. They should be good for visibility.

-Dave
    -Dave