Valve Adjustment - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valve Adjustment

Re: Valve Adjustment

Ok, so now the camshafts are out and I've also taken off the valve lifters.

How do I get the shims off the valves? Is there a special tool for this? Any suggestions?

The manual doesn't make reference to the use of any special tool for this, but I'm having a hard time getting them off.

hope u are taking pictures as you go. Because I am doing this next lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pcost024 View Post
    Ok, so now the camshafts are out and I've also taken off the valve lifters.

How do I get the shims off the valves? Is there a special tool for this? Any suggestions?

The manual doesn't make reference to the use of any special tool for this, but I'm having a hard time getting them off.
    I use a magnet

i didnt hear anyone mentioning this yet. but stuff a rag in the "valley" where the chain goes to the crank.

I almost dropped a shim in there last time when i forgot!
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    hope u are taking pictures as you go. Because I am doing this next lol.
    I am taking pictures. I'll be posting them soon. Hopefully I can do this successfully and be of help when you try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    I use a magnet
    Yeah, I heard of people using magnets. Any kind in particular you can recommend? I assume that the magnet would need to be strong enough to not let go of the shim once I pull up hard on the magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    i didnt hear anyone mentioning this yet. but stuff a rag in the "valley" where the chain goes to the crank.

I almost dropped a shim in there last time when i forgot!
    Did that. Thanks.

I just use one on the end of a telescoping rod its pretty small but never dropped one yet. They come out pretty easy when the bucket is removed. Hell I have use the same magnet to pull the buckets and half the time the shims come with it.

I just use one on the end of a telescoping rod its pretty small but never dropped one yet. They come out pretty easy when the bucket is removed. Hell I have use the same magnet to pull the buckets and half the time the shims come with it.
    Agreed. I use a telescoping magnet with a magnet about 1 cm in diameter on the end. I just plop it onto the bucket, and pull upwards. 95% of the time the shim comes with the bucket. The other 5%, its still on the valve top awaitng the magnets return.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Agreed. I use a telescoping magnet with a magnet about 1 cm in diameter on the end. I just plop it onto the bucket, and pull upwards. 95% of the time the shim comes with the bucket. The other 5%, its still on the valve top awaitng the magnets return.
    I've been prying the bucket DOWN and trying to pull up on the shim with a pair of pliers. I will be getting a magnet as you guys have suggested.

Should I be pulling UP on the bucket instead? Again, it's an 05 636 and perhaps it is different from your bikes? I don't know.

Unfortunately the manual doesn't really provide any info on which way the buckets go. It simply says "remove valve lifter and shim". I wish it was that easy.

Your valve system looks like this:

The buckets are market in the diagram as part# 12032

the shim is the little disk (Part # 92180) below it.

Usually, when you take the bucket off, the shim comes with it, and will be stuck inside the bucket right in the middle of the bucket.

I Happen to have my engine's head off and in my kitchen on a work table... so I took some more pics for you.

I've been prying the bucket DOWN and trying to pull up on the shim with a pair of pliers. I will be getting a magnet as you guys have suggested.

Should I be pulling UP on the bucket instead? Again, it's an 05 636 and perhaps it is different from your bikes? I don't know.

Unfortunately the manual doesn't really provide any info on which way the buckets go. It simply says "remove valve lifter and shim". I wish it was that easy.
    Buckets should simply slide straight out. Sometimes the suface adhesion of the oil makes them stick slightly. DO NOT PRY ON THEM OR GRAB WITH PLIERS they need to slide freely and need to be perfectly round to fit the tunnel they ride in. Prying or pliers can easily deform or mar the surface. Inspect the ones that you have already pulled for damage before depositing them back into service. If they are damaged (AT ALL) replace them.
    For future reference pliers or vise grips have no business inside of an engine short of grabbing a small part that is displaced.

Oh HELL!.. THanks for the pics. They help me to illustrate how much of a tool I am. The "bucket" you guys are referring to I have already removed, and yes the shim came with it. It was removed quite easily (I simply pulled on it with my fingers).

I have been trying to pry down the collet while pulling up on the "retainer valve spring" (part 12009) thinking that this was the shim.

You wouldn't believe how stupid I feel as I'm writing this, but at least the shim is off and I don't need a magnet.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by pcost024; 10-19-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: content

Oh HELL!.. THanks for the pics. They help me to illustrate how much of a tool I am. The "bucket" you guys are referring to I have already removed, and yes the shim came with it. It was removed quite easily (I simply pulled on it with my fingers).

I have been trying to pry down the collet while pulling up on the "retainer valve spring" (part 12009) thinking that this was the shim.

You wouldn't believe how stupid I feel as I'm writing this, but at least the shim is off and I don't need a magnet.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Now your scaring me.
    Make 100% sure you havent dislodged the keepers. If you have and reassemble valves out of adjustment is the least of your problems.

Now your scaring me.
    Make 100% sure you havent dislodged the keepers. If you have and reassemble valves out of adjustment is the least of your problems.
    They're not dislodged, or I would have felt that I had made some progress, which would have in fact been very bad.

The "bucket" you guys are referring to I have already removed, and yes the shim came with it. It was removed quite easily (I simply pulled on it with my fingers).
    Just a heads up b/c no one told you....each bucket should stay paired with it's own respective valve.....not put in a pile with all the other buckets and then reassembled at random.

They're not necessarily the same 'thickness', which can mess up the lash/shimming and waste lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Just a heads up b/c no one told you....each bucket should stay paired with it's own respective valve.....not put in a pile with all the other buckets and then reassembled at random.

They're not necessarily the same 'thickness', which can mess up the lash/shimming and waste lots of time.
    Did that. Thanks. I was very careful with everything up to this point and know where every part came from. Now that I've got the shim thing figured out, I hope assembling poses no major problem (first I have to order the shims of course....)

Unless you've cut new valve seats, or lapped the valves, there likely won't be many camshaft clearances out of spec range. Use the chart in the shop manual to help with ordering which shims, for which clearance differences.

Anyone know where to get a decent deal on purchasing these shims? I don't want a kit. I need 6 of the same size. My dealer just quoted me at $16.72 a piece. Seems a bit much, but what do I know.
    Last edited by pcost024; 10-22-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: grammer

A good number of dealers will take the shims in on trade, for a fee of 5-10 bucks a shim.

So, call around.

I dont trade for the sake of trade but if I am doing the job I just swap them in and out and keep the old ones. If I dont have the right size in my kit I buy what I need and absorb the cost and keep the customers old ones.

Make your own shims. From a set of feeler guages or shim stock -- stainless steel is good material