Pushing the bike on shoulder of 400.....and wanted to say thanks to fellow rider

Thread: Pushing the bike on shoulder of 400.....and wanted to say thanks to fellow rider

Pushing the bike on shoulder of 400.....and wanted to say thanks to fellow rider

It was a bit cool this morning. Around 10 degrees in Vaughan. I thought I'd layer up and stay warm for my commute to work. It was my first time wearing long sleeves and thermal underwear this fall.

I'm riding southbound on the 400, ignoring the gas light (because I know they always give you that "little extra" at the bottom of the tank), the motor started to sputter. Ahhh, sheeeeet! So now I'm pulled over on the shoulder cursing like crazy inside my helmet. That's ok....I'll call my wife to bring some gas. Ahhh, sheeeeet! No cell phone! ....way to go, dumba$$. Now what? Wave like a madman at the cars whizzing by me at 120k? Wait for someone to stop? or, start pushing?

So, now I'm pushing my sv650 along the right shoulder of the 400.....waaaayy over to the right. As I walk with my ride, I notice debris every once in a while, scattered about. Glass.....metal.....rubber...etc.... Was this maybe the last guy to push his bike along the 400? So, now I'm looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds. Could it get any worse?

So it got a bit worse. As I was half way to the gas station, I came across a car on the shoulder, on the bridge over the 401, with the hazards on. It was on the shoulder I was walking along. Nobody around. To pass it, I had to go about a foot into the live lane. Now, I understand a lot of newbs tend to get a bit timid about riding on the 400 series highways. Let me tell ya, thats NOTHING compared to pushing your bike along the shoulder!! lol

I got to the gas station on Jane st, 4km later. Thankfully, I was layered up. Pushing the bike in a sauna really helped.

Oh, and on a side note the "little extra" at the bottom of the tank turned out to be a "little less" than I thought. My manual tells me I have a 17 liter tank, but totally empty to full was only 16 and change "usable" liters. Could have used that little piece of info this morning.

/rant

Anyway, the point of this post was to actually thank a fellow rider again. As I was approaching the Jane st exit, a kind female rider pulled over to offer assistance. I thanked her for stopping, and just wanted to thank her again. Thanks.
    Rev 6:1 I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" 2 I looked, and there before me was a silver horse! Its rider was fighting a grin, and he was given a helmet, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

Re: Pushing the bike on shoulder of 400.....and wanted to say thanks to fellow rider

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax3D View Post
    It was a bit cool this morning. Around 10 degrees in Vaughan. I thought I'd layer up and stay warm for my commute to work. It was my first time wearing long sleeves and thermal underwear this fall.

I'm riding southbound on the 400, ignoring the gas light (because I know they always give you that "little extra" at the bottom of the tank), the motor started to sputter. Ahhh, sheeeeet! So now I'm pulled over on the shoulder cursing like crazy inside my helmet. That's ok....I'll call my wife to bring some gas. Ahhh, sheeeeet! No cell phone! ....way to go, dumba$$. Now what? Wave like a madman at the cars whizzing by me at 120k? Wait for someone to stop? or, start pushing?

So, now I'm pushing my sv650 along the right shoulder of the 400.....waaaayy over to the right. As I walk with my ride, I notice debris every once in a while, scattered about. Glass.....metal.....rubber...etc.... Was this maybe the last guy to push his bike along the 400? So, now I'm looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds. Could it get any worse?

So it got a bit worse. As I was half way to the gas station, I came across a car on the shoulder, on the bridge over the 401, with the hazards on. It was on the shoulder I was walking along. Nobody around. To pass it, I had to go about a foot into the live lane. Now, I understand a lot of newbs tend to get a bit timid about riding on the 400 series highways. Let me tell ya, thats NOTHING compared to pushing your bike along the shoulder!! lol

I got to the gas station on Jane st, 4km later. Thankfully, I was layered up. Pushing the bike in a sauna really helped.

Oh, and on a side note the "little extra" at the bottom of the tank turned out to be a "little less" than I thought. My manual tells me I have a 17 liter tank, but totally empty to full was only 16 and change "usable" liters. Could have used that little piece of info this morning.

/rant

Anyway, the point of this post was to actually thank a fellow rider again. As I was approaching the Jane st exit, a kind female rider pulled over to offer assistance. I thanked her for stopping, and just wanted to thank her again. Thanks.
    bang her to teach your wife to carry her cell phone

Re: Pushing the bike on shoulder of 400.....and wanted to say thanks to fellow rider

you could take your jacket off next time.

Thanks! I haven't ridden my SV dry yet but have come damn close now that I know the exact capacity
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    What if he is trying to cut weight?? Maybe he isn't the non-leather-wearing while running/pushing a bike type of guy... he's TOUGH!
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax3D View Post

/rant

glad to hear you survived to tell the tale.
    also thanks for the heads up on the SV gas tank. I"ve always known it flashes 'low fuel' @ 12L and estimated i could go another 33%.

ATGATT taken a little too literally.
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!

Yeah, I could have. Maybe it was the false sense of security it gave me as the cars flew by.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    Thanks! I haven't ridden my SV dry yet but have come damn close now that I know the exact capacity
    ~16.45 liters I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    bang her to teach your wife to carry her cell phone
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh. But, it was my stupidity for forgetting my cell.
    Rev 6:1 I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" 2 I looked, and there before me was a silver horse! Its rider was fighting a grin, and he was given a helmet, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

Did you lean the bike over almost to the ground on the petcock side to get all the gas into the usable side?

That trick has gotten me home more than once.
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Did you lean the bike over almost to the ground on the petcock side to get all the gas into the usable side?

That's worked for me before as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post

Great idea, never heard of that trick before. However for an old guy like me with a very bad back I would still need a healthy person to stop and help me lift the bike up again!!

Hahaha I thought you were talking about me, I was also pushing my bike along the shoulder of the 400 last week after a flat tire, the damn thing had been patched up just 3 hours ago, but in my case the bike was actually pushing me because I had it on 1st gear and throttling it a bit, nya nya nya nya

Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnakeross View Post
    Great idea, never heard of that trick before. However for an old guy like me with a very bad back I would still need a healthy person to stop and help me lift the bike up again!!

Works something like this

You'd be amazed what you can do and lift when you wanna get home and know you have some gas.

Thats probably where your last half a L was hiding.

i never even thought about doing that if i ever run out..thanks for the idea!
    but i do hope i never run out of gas..lol

for some reason at first sight i saw "jack off"

Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTY88 View Post
    Works something like this

You'd be amazed what you can do and lift when you wanna get home and know you have some gas.

Thats probably where your last half a L was hiding.
    I had no idea. Damn it!!! I wish I knew that. Thanks for the tip!

I had to change a tire on the side of the 400 once.... let me tell you I now make sure I'm in at least the middle lane if I ever approach someone on the side of the highway.

When you're standing still on the shoulder, vehicles at highway speeds only feet away make you work quickly! Dam transports move a lot of wind too.

There is a lot of ***** on the side of the highway eh.