Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568 - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568

Re: Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568

Quote Originally Posted by adamcbrrr View Post
    I thought GM was 180?
    Depends whay model. My Jimmy cut out At 160kph. My wifes Malibu at 180kph. I think my buddies vette cuts out at redine only, but I'm not postive about that.
    Bad Example

Jim Karygannis, is the Liberal MP that went crazy at PIA a few years ago. Seems he was upset because airport security was questioning two men from the middle east. In the story below it turns out they both had prior convictions. Seems Ol Jimmy boy is more concerned about being a control freak over Canadians and their vehicles, rather than be concerned about foriegn drug dealers. Dan Mcteague is no better. He was my MP in Durham years ago before federal ridings were redrawn. Dan was a gun control freak. Its lucky he left Whitby or he would be out of a job by now. Niether one of these idiots deserve to be MP's. I'm sure there are much more important things for them to do than think up more ways of controling us.

July 21, 2002
    Grit MP in rage, flyers claim

By STEPHANIE RUBEC -- Ottawa Bureau

Toronto Sun

OTTAWA -- A Liberal MP blew his top at Pearson Airport early this month, berating customs agents for their lengthy questioning of two Middle Eastern men, airport sources have told Sun Media.

Scarborough-Agincourt MP Jim Karygiannis reportedly tore a strip off the officers July 1 in front of airport staff and passengers disembarking an Olympic flight from Greece.

ACCUSATIONS

Witnesses say Karygiannis accused customs agents of "racial profiling" for questioning the Middle Eastern men, who were brandishing U.S. passports, more extensively than other people.

"He started yelling at the officers," said a source. "He was belligerent... He's using words like racial profiling." Customs referred the two men to the immigration office because they felt the duo weren't clear as to their place of residence or why they were in Canada, an airport source said.

A background check found a rap sheet for both men, which included convictions for drug possession. Karygiannis refused to return phone calls, but his office confirmed an incident had occurred at the airport.
    Bad Example

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    P.S. GM already has this for many of this vehicles as I remember a buddy of mine having to hit a switch when his Cavalier hit 170km/hr and my Caddy would flash it's display after 160km/hr.
    its not just gm. almost all (if not all) car manufacturers install these speed limiting chips in cars from the factory. when you hit the marked speed, usually between 160-180 km/h, the engine automatically decelerates you back to a safe 100ish before it gives you control of the throttle back. the only difference is that now, it is not illegal to have these chips removed; the new law would make it illegal to tamper with these devices.

Banned

and....what? What will the ripple down be? Any of them manufactured here? Any of the parts manufactured here?

so no more mustangs hu? Geeze that would sure be terrible...no more parts bucket north American "performance" cars. LOL.

If this was to happen what would be the real life downside of it?

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post
    Fair to say that I agree with the post ^^^^.

Lots of money to be lost if this passed.

i call their bluff and say that 150km is too much. who needs a car that goes 150km/h. the highest limit in ontario is 100km/h. all cars should be limited to 100km/h. on that note we should also limit emergency vehicles to the same speed, since nobody would have any experience driving at higher speeds, and it would be dangerous for an emergency to travel at a higher speed. the operator would be stressed due to the emergency they are responding to, and htey would have no experience driving at high speeds, making htem a hazard. thus, 100km/h limit on all vehicles....

actually on second thought, vehicle speedometers are not always 100% accurate, and can vary by a few km either way. thus we should limit to 95km/h, just in case the speedometer isn't 100% accurate.

a years down the line this damn nanny state is going to wrap telephone poles in bubble wrap, because some dumbass ran into one and injured himself. this will also be the day i leave this country for a loosely governed third world country where i can still breath without facing some sort of lawsuit.

How do we/I fight this? Or has it already passed?

Every sentence says equipped with a speed limiter. It leaves open the possibility of a switch to turn it off. If you are already at over 150, they would just tack on a charge for disabling the limiter. That will be small peanuts in the list of charges you would be getting anyway.

5.1(2) switch must be on to import or buy
    5.1(3) switch must be on when mechanic returns car
    5.1(4) you must have the switch on while driving

No problems tracking your bike as you can just turn the switch off. They never mention not being able to disable the system. Bikes and sports cars could just have a switch and a disclaimer that it must be on when on public roads in Ontario. It is unlikely anyone would bother building this as the market is too small, but it would be damn easy (and appears to be legal).

Private members bills very rarely pass anyway.

VW puts a limiter in the computer. You can adjust it down, but not back up (even if you only wanted to go back up to the original limit). If you screw it up, you need a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post

Private members bills very rarely pass anyway.
    Well, unless you count such minor bills like Bill 203 which is now the infamous HTA 172..................

Lo & behold,I had mail waiting for me when I got home from the Honorable Jim Karaygiannis proclaming his stewardship of bill c319(speed limiter).It is active and we need to fight this bill before it gets to Parliament.

Once again here is his e-mail.

jim@karygiannismp.com

and contact your local MP.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    and....what? What will the ripple down be? Any of them manufactured here? Any of the parts manufactured here?

so no more mustangs hu? Geeze that would sure be terrible...no more parts bucket north American "performance" cars. LOL.

If this was to happen what would be the real life downside of it?

You must be trolling right? Seca, I think he was just trying to get a rise out of someone. Because for one, there would be FAR fewer GST/PST dollars if people stop buying these very expensive cars. Second, places like the GM casting plant in St. Catherines.... dunno if it is still there.... which made the engine blocks for the Vette, Holden, Camaro and Firebird.... would be gone. Not to mention there are A TON of Tier 1, 2, 3 suppliers to the automotive industry in this region of Canada that would suffer from the loss of some of these product lines, even the European made ones. Plus, the GM plants in the east end don't need another high profile line cut from their production of the Camaro..... neither does the Chrysler plant need this a law like this with their production of the Challenger. Of course there are smaller folks at play like Exotic car rental places. You know Canada is the #1 growth market for Ducati.... or use to be the year before..... you think that would remain the same?

Ya there would be a trickle down effect that would affect MANY!

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

If for no other reason, than the compliance date is impossible for the OEM's to achieve.

Be very careful in how you word any letters that you send.

The 150km/h won't happen because it will interfere with Fantino and his 203/172.

151 now that i could see happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

If for no other reason, than the compliance date is impossible for the OEM's to achieve.

Be very careful in how you word any letters that you send.
    Dates of compliance are a very easy thing to change from a governing point of view.

This same MP introduced the exact same bill (with the 2010 date) in the previous session of parliament and it went nowhere and expect the same again. I would be more worried if the bill was introduced in the Ontario Legislature than in Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSS_guy View Post
    GM uses varying limiter numbers depending on the weight and suspension height of the vehicle. They can usually all be flashed with no issue though.
    Its for the speed rating of the tire. The cavalier was at 160 cause that is the rating of the tire

Quote Originally Posted by adamcbrrr View Post
    Cant they already do that with aftermarket products?
    ya except it will be illegal to do so with this law

The limiter on my car is from the factory at 265 kph for North America and is `set at 288 in Europe.But I can control myself to drive more or less legal speed limit.My truck's limiter is set @ 160 and I drive the same speeds as my much quicker car!WoW!How did this happen?

For those interested in the bill, here's the status. The first reading was June 17 2008 to the House of Commons. It has a long way to go, and then to the Senate.

Jim Karygiannis seems to be doing a good job for my riding. He does a lot on issues deaing with immigration. He travels to different countries when they have disasters.

I go on Dan McTeague's site when I want to buy gas, as he very accurately predicts tomorrow's price of gas at the pump. He figured out how the gas companies determined their pump price, and is willing to tell anyone the formula. He's on a personal crusade to expose the gas companies and government for price gouging. How can you hate this guy? I'd vote for him.

Here's an idea. How about if the government starts to enforce the current speed laws effectively before they come up with new ones..

If your going to have a top speed setting, why not do it like the trucks and set it to 105?
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.