Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568

Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568

This bill is a private member's bill proposed by my MP Jim Karygiannis, Scarborough-Agincourt, and seconded by MP Dan McTeague, Pickering-Scarborough East. It limits all vehicles to 150 kph. It would affect all new vehicles as of Jan 01 2010, excluding emergency services and police. This act was reintroduced to Parliament in 2009 as Bill C-319.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C-319/C-568
    5.1 (1) In this section, “speed limiter” means a device mounted on a vehicle that, when engaged, electronically limits the maximum speed at which the vehicle is driven to the speed set on the device.

(2) No person shall manufacture, import into Canada or sell or lease to another person a vehicle unless it is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

(3) No person who repairs or maintains a vehicle shall release the vehicle to another person unless the vehicle is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

(4) No person who owns a vehicle or leases a vehicle from another person shall operate the vehicle or allow it to be operated by another person unless it is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

(5) This section applies to vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 2010 that are not fire-fighting vehicles, ambulances, police vehicles or other vehicles that are used for the purpose of emergency or vehicles that belong to a class of vehicles that is exempted from the application of this section by regulation.
    Last edited by TorontoBoy; 09-17-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Include change of bill to C-319

Re: Speed Limiter Bill for all Vehicles: C-568

Ohh, can I be the first to ask why anybody needs a street vehicle that goes over 150?

(If you track your street bike, I see why this may concern you. Although, even IF this passed, it wouldn't effect your current ride.)

i guess we should all ride 125's since even a 250 ninja does 160

my last gsxr1000 did 167 in first gear

Im sure a simple chip can take care of the problem, hopefully they will be limiting the cop cars also.

1 week after this has been passed (if passed), there will be a dozen manufacturers offering "soluitions" to this limiter

most German saloons have been limited to 155 mph for years, according to a Gentlemen's agreement between manufacturers to appease the Green Party

needless to say, it's not hard or too expensive to derestrict these cars by flashing/changing the ECUs

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    1 week after this has been passed (if passed), there will be a dozen manufacturers offering "soluitions" to this limiter

most German saloons have been limited to 155 mph for years, according to a Gentlemen's agreement between manufacturers to appease the Green Party
    Slight difference between 150KM/H and 155 mph!!

ya except now you will be charged for tampering with the vehicle, and forced to have a shop to put everything back to stock and then show the reciept that it was done.

Anyone ever see "The Last Chase" with Lee Majors? I think it was filmed in Toronto as well but I'm going to be burying some vehicles in my garage if this kicks in. That and the fact all my vehicles will be hacked.

P.S. GM already has this for many of this vehicles as I remember a buddy of mine having to hit a switch when his Cavalier hit 170km/hr and my Caddy would flash it's display after 160km/hr.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Have to wonder what the ripple down effect would be for

Speed rated tires, no need for even V rated tires anymore.

High performance cars such as Porsche, Ferrari etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    ya except now you will be charged for tampering with the vehicle, and forced to have a shop to put everything back to stock and then show the reciept that it was done.

Cant they already do that with aftermarket products?

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    Anyone ever see "The Last Chase" with Lee Majors? I think it was filmed in Toronto as well but I'm going to be burying some vehicles in my garage if this kicks in. That and the fact all my vehicles will be hacked.

P.S. GM already has this for many of this vehicles as I remember a buddy of mine having to hit a switch when his Cavalier hit 170km/hr and my Caddy would flash it's display after 160km/hr.
    I thought GM was 180?

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    if they can catch me!

Quote Originally Posted by adamcbrrr View Post
    I thought GM was 180?

You're probably right as it's been a little while since I've seen these speeds.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    You're probably right as it's been a little while since I've seen these speeds (at least in a car).
    Thats what my old grand am was I remember hitting it a few times, who knows they might all be diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Have to wonder what the ripple down effect would be for

Speed rated tires, no need for even V rated tires anymore.

High performance cars such as Porsche, Ferrari etc etc.
    first question this pair of nanny-state buffoons should be prepared to answer is how many fatalities nationally, over the last xx-years are a result of driving in excess of 150kph....what? 2 or 3?

but as you pointed out....say goodbye to every exotic car in this country

Ferrari
    Lambo
    Aston
    Porsche

say good bye to every new muscle car mass-produced

Mustang
    Corvette
    Camaro
    Viper
    Challenger
    etc

kiss every SS bike goodbye...the list is too long

kiss every highend hyper models from the like of Benz and BMW etc goodbye

nobody is gonna shell out the kinda bucks it costs for these types of rides with nanny-state limiters.....so I hope the manufacturers see this bill for what it is

Fair to say that I agree with the post ^^^^.

Lots of money to be lost if this passed.

Most limiters I know of already on cars are at either 180, 210 or 235km/hr. Since when are politicians instead of engineers deciding on speeds? What the shiznit?
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

This bill will disappear quickly.

Car industry suffers

+ the province doesn't get their $$$$$$ from the street racing fines
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

This is old news, I remember hearing about this more than a year ago, and a quick search finds that it was floating around in 2007. It is not on the list of bills before the current parliament.

In any case, given how close the proposed implementation date is, there would be no chance for motor vehicle manufacturers to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcbrrr View Post
    I thought GM was 180?
    GM uses varying limiter numbers depending on the weight and suspension height of the vehicle. They can usually all be flashed with no issue though.
    If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face - Rage Against The Machine