Another E-bike goes down. - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another E-bike goes down.

Re: Another E-bike goes down.

Just to clarify that here in the City of Toronto bicycles of the wheel size 24" or less are legally allowed on the sidewalk. That's the law.

eBikes should be classified clearly so there is no ambiguity. I'd rather they be lumped into the moped category, but I do hate the 3 tiered licensing system that moped riders need to endure. If they are bicycles, then enforce existing laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    ... Spadina is actually in China , but I still haven't seen cyclists behave like that there either...
    Scarborough is not far behind. For extra culture shock take a hike to Pacific Mall. I've spent a significant amount of time in China. Riders there are better skilled and ride much slower. Idiot bicyclists in China get quickly weeded out.

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    Nah, it's alright Simon. I've talked to you on the phone before and you seem like a cool guy. No biggie.
    Yes I'm a nice guy really . I think the problem for me really is these thing don't have the acceleration to be stable and they seem to wobble out of corners, that along with the pedalling and suspension the people I have seen seem to bounce, skip a weave all over the road, personally for me I think bicycles and mopeds are far safer. I'm happy to see hundreds of mopeds and scooters on the road but these E-bike things just seem wrong to me.

The Canadian Tire ad reads "It can go anywhere a bicycle is allowed".

There's an old Italian dude in my neigbourhood who rides it around all the time. I think he's half juiced too.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

Well, I own a house here and they most definitely do.
    I believe you. However, it's not called Chinatown for nothing and does not represent even downtown, let alone GTA. Where else can you see double and triple parked cars, rotting produce all over the sidewalk (what sidewalk?), etc.? It's a different culture.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I believe you. However, it's not called Chinatown for nothing and does not represent even downtown, let alone GTA. Where else can you see double and triple parked cars, rotting produce all over the sidewalk (what sidewalk?), etc.? It's a different culture.
    True. I'm the only white guy in three square kilometers.

im sure its been mentioned already, people are using these e bikes as ways home from the bar. ive got a friend who has one and says hes got buddies who get drunk and ride themhome. its like riding a bicycle. i can see the laws turning against them soon as they should

i dont think that new laws are necessary. laws are already in existence to deal with the situation, its just that at the moment they are not being applied. i say throw them in with bicycles and voila. most cyclists ride at the same speed as these things, and in many cases overtake them regularly. so why not consider them a slow bicycle.

By mere definition, an E-Bike is the same as a pocketbike. It's not human powered like a bicycle, so therefore it is a motor vehicle. I was miffed when they allowed these E-bikes on roads, but are plenty happy to bust anyone's balls who dares to try that with a pocketbike.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

E-bikes are technically not allowed in the bike lanes. Which is kinda stupid, because they can't keep up with traffic either. It's a total crapsandwich.
    Technically, according to the MTO, they are allowed. (Until this October 3rd, at least.)
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ex.shtml#power
    Effective October 3, 2006, the Province of Ontario began a three-year pilot project to evaluate the use of power-assisted bicycles (also known as electric bikes or e-bikes) on roads and highways where conventional bicycles are currently allowed. The pilot is open to all Ontarians 16 years of age and older and will run for three years. For the duration of the pilot, electric bicycles will be treated as bicycles and must follow the same rules of the road as set out in the Highway Traffic Act that currently apply to cyclists.
    Mind you, they seem pretty ticked off at the e-scooters-with-pedals. They really meant e-assisted bicycles, not those crunchy speed-bumps.
    Note: A commitment has been made to evaluate the pilot prior to its three-year expiry. The intent of the ministry's pilot was to allow e-bikes that look and operate like conventional bikes in order to promote a safe, healthy and environmentally friendly alternative to current transportation modes.

The ministry has become aware of scooter-style vehicles that technically meet the pilot's e-bike definition, but not the intent, as they are not primarily operated by muscular power due to their heavy weight. Therefore, in addition to evaluating how safely the e-bike can integrate with other motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians, the emergence of the scooter-style e-bikes requires the ministry to also assess if the pilot's original intent continues to be appropriate. The ministry may clarify its position on the original intent of the pilot when final legislation is drafted.
    MyBikeWiki Handy indexed links.

Whenever I'm passing an E-Bike I always roll up beside them slowly, then I crank the throttle and blast by them destroying them with my exhaust note.
    Night Rod Special

Quote Originally Posted by Android Cat View Post
    Technically, according to the MTO, they are allowed. (Until this October 3rd, at least.)
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ex.shtml#power
    Mind you, they seem pretty ticked off at the e-scooters-with-pedals. They really meant e-assisted bicycles, not those crunchy speed-bumps.
    I think that by e-bike, everyone IS referring to those scooter looking things and not a mountain bike with a battery. I haven't even seen one of those on the street before.

These things skirt the laws by having pedals on them, The true e-bikes are quite remarkable as they actually are a hybrid and the e-motor only assists the rider on hills etc. They only add 12 to 20 lbs to a regular bike. They conist of a hub motor and a small battery pack and CPU,

http://www.bionx.ca/products/product-range.php

its funny how our government supports chinese made product on our streets that's costing Canadian health care dollars. Shouldn't e-bikes at least be Canadian made??

Every e-bike i've seen is made in china. Anyone interested in developing a canadian made e-bike?

Quote Originally Posted by pcsourced View Post
    its funny how our government supports chinese made product on our streets that's costing Canadian health care dollars. Shouldn't e-bikes at least be Canadian made??

Every e-bike i've seen is made in china. Anyone interested in developing a canadian made e-bike?
    All you would succeed in doing is develop the most pricey e-bike ever and nobody would buy it. That's the only reason they're selling so well- for the same price as a spendy mountain bike, you can get something that doesn't require you to use your legs.

Canadian built is a nice thought, but we just can't compete on price. China is willing to destroy it's environment through manufacturing and has a populace that views factory jobs with hard, boring labour as just about the greatest job ever. They have the advantage when it comes to making things on the cheap.

And sure, you can argue that they build crap, but people LOVE their cheap crap. It's not like we don't have Walmarts or Dollar Stores here in Canada.

I see these things all over the place now.

The other day I witnessed one guy riding in the far left lane of a 6 lane road, with a 10-11 year old girl on the back who had a bicycle helmet on. He was going about 30-40k and people routinely go 80 on this road. In the time that I saw them, 7 cars had to take some sort of evasive action to prevent running them over. All I could do was shake my head and point at my helmet as I passed them on the right...

I find it pretty amusing that these 'bicycles' have an obvious spot to attach a motorcycle sized license plate on the fender too.

I think the electric assist bikes that are like bicycles (with pedaling as their primary source of power) should continue on being treated like bicycles. the ebikes that look like scooters should get treated like a moped, licence, plate and insurance required.
    x

I am interested to see such hatred towards these things.

Cruisin girl is advocating regulation based on appearance??

OP states that an e-biker gets hit by a truck and therefore the bike should be regulated. Nothing in the original post about fault or blame mentioned. Just that they need regulation.

I think that the e-bikes serve no greater danger to anyone than bicycles. For those saying that Bicycles get carte blanche, they don't. I received a $110 ticket for riding my bicycle the wrong way down a 1 way street.

Many of the arguments posted seem like blame the victim arguments we hear so often in the riding community from uninformed cagers who state that we shouldnt be offended that they caused us injury because we chose to get on a motorcycle.

If the ebike is not capable of a speed any greater than a bicycle, then I see no need for a different treatment. I think people should reflect on their prejudice and contemplate the POTENTIAL hypocrisy of that sentiment (i did not call anyone a hypocrite), also consider that the more of these on the road, the less crowded the TTC is because that is the exact group that are buying these.
    2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Yes, this is going to be interesting. I don't think there can be special rules of the road for e-bikes, so they can be treated as either bicycles or motorcycles. Since bicycles in this city enjoy a de-facto immunity from traffic laws and most e-bike riders do not come from motorcycle culture/community I suspect bicycle approach will be used (or abused) by most. There is a logic behind that since these bikes are limited speed vehicles, create no direct pollution and require no license/helmet/insurance.

I saw an e-bike riding on the bicycle path by Lake Shore Boulevard the other day. The guy was beating the rush hour traffic big time and that's fine with me, as long as he does it responsibly and respects the right of bicycle riders to share the same path in peace and comfort. It's his a** if he runs under a truck, but it's a completely different story if he runs into a bicyclist or a roller...

If they are going to be treated as motorcycles (or more precisely the de-facto special subgroup called park-anywhere scooters ) then riding them anywhere where motor vehicles are prohibited should result in a traffic ticket. You can't have it both ways.

All that said, I'm adamantly opposed to over-regulation and new laws every time someone gets killed. There's plenty of current laws that are not being enforced or are enforced badly because they were badly written or just plain stupid to begin with. Work on that and add some driver education and awareness courses while you are at it. If anything needs to be changed or channeled properly it's the culture, and that doesn't happen overnight and cannot be achieved by enacting "ban this" and "mandatory that" laws.
    +1.

Banned

I think part of it is that a "runaway bike" that plows into an intersection will likely only seriously harm the rider. Mostly. I suppose there could a a chain reaction type event, but on average, just a rider pulped.

I'd rather have a drunk guy on a bicycle riding home, than have the same idiot in a cage driving home from the bar.

the difference with the ebikes is that they have some mass, can travel faster with less skill, and could hurt someone pretty badly if it careened into an intersection.

Exactamundo. People rail on about too many rules and the man keeping us down, but bicycles are a great example of what happens when you let a community police themselves. The rules just get thrown out. If the police decided to mount an information campaign combined with some judicious ticketing, they could really tame the whole bicycle thing. And the e-bikes right along with it.

Heck, they do it for cars and motorcycles, why not include the other vehicles on the road.

Oh........I know why- they don't have insurance. Or licenses. Nothing to hold over your head for not paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
    I am interested to see such hatred towards these things...

If the ebike is not capable of a speed any greater than a bicycle, then I see no need for a different treatment. I think people should reflect on their prejudice and contemplate the POTENTIAL hypocrisy of that sentiment (i did not call anyone a hypocrite), also consider that the more of these on the road, the less crowded the TTC is because that is the exact group that are buying these.
    Mopeds can travel at speeds no greater than a bicycle but are required to go through a 3 tier licensing system. Mopeds have an engine that is comparable to e-bikes in power, and possibly comparable in weight as well. E-bikes are heavier than bicycles by at least double, so forces are also higher. Using the moped as precedent, they should be regulated.