Long Weekend Races......thoughts? - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Long Weekend Races......thoughts?

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Re: Long Weekend Races......thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TMPracing View Post
    Correction.... BOTH of my daughters now want to race, so it looks like I'm in the market for another bike. If anyone knows of anything that comes along please let me know.
    There may be a few of the CBR125R Challenge bikes come up for sale soon. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know.. the nice thing about them is they're already race prepped. I'm also keeping my eyes open for 250 Ninja insurance writeoffs... I'll let you know what I find..

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Thanks I will look into that, if they dont what tire brands do pay out in SOAR? Rookie or Novice? At $500 a set even $25 can help, and I'll change over to who ever is willing to help...
    Bridgestone pays 1st-$100 2nd-$75 3rd-$50 in Rookie.
    And up to $200 and position 1 through 5 in other classes.

Bridgestone
    http://www.rippracing.com/contingency.html

Pirelli
    http://www.orionmotorsports.ca/about_contingency.htm

Dunlop
    Pro6 only shows a program for R.A.C.E. so I guess nothing for SOAR.

Same goes for Michelin I think
    Last edited by CBRJOHN; 09-18-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    There may be a few of the CBR125R Challenge bikes come up for sale soon. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know.. the nice thing about them is they're already race prepped. I'm also keeping my eyes open for 250 Ninja insurance writeoffs... I'll let you know what I find..
    (sorry i was logged in with the TMP user)

That would be awesome John!! Please let me know.

Thanks!
    Vanessa

Since I started doing trackdays back in May, I've been interested in entering a race. SOAR seems like my best bet as I live in Cambridge. I just had a few questions...

Can you use slicks in Rookie and Novice?

Are aftermarket wheels allowed in all classes? (I don't have aftermarket wheels, i'm just curious)

Not that my opinion really matters, but FWIW, I see no reason why liter bikes shouldn't be allowed to race in Rookie. At the end of the day it's exactly that, a rookie cup. As Fawaz said, if it wasn't for the rookie cup he wouldn't have given racing a try this year. Isn't the whole idea to get more people out? And yes my track bike is a 600 and not a liter bike :P

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you next year at Round 1.
    Last edited by RichardTPC; 09-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTPC View Post

Can you use slicks in Rookie and Novice?
    You can run slicks in any of our races if you like

Are aftermarket wheels allowed in all classes? (I don't have aftermarket wheels, i'm just curious)
    not a problem at all.

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you next year at Round 1.
    Season one just ended and I already can't wait for round 1 of season 2!! See you then!

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    That's just the point, there should not be a "BEGINNER" #1, you make rabbit slightly harder to catch.

any "BEGINNER" class should be just that, if you finish that well you are obviously not a beginner.

If you look at the lap times, the beginners are lapping mid pack in the novice class, so why not bump them up to make the novice class larger?

This breeds competition and creates a stronger novice class, which in turn creates a strong feeder class for the Pro series.
    Donnie your missing the point. This class is my class I designed it and implimented it. Its not the RACE novice class and its intention is far different. Its just to let a group of beginners come out and compete/learn with their peers not a place for riders to prove themselves worthy of novice. There is nothing to stop them from entering Novice as well. Rookie does not deminish Novice its just another class. RACE uses their Novice as a stepping stone for Amateur. Where if you hit a certain level you move up effectively you have a Pro, Amateur and SubAmateur?????? We have two license levels Expert and everyone else is Novice. The rookie challenge is just that and nothing more its just fun to give a prize (#1 plate). SOAR will never use times to bunp someone and ruin their chances for the championship and #1 plate. In case people havent noticed we do things different and will continue as we see fit. I dont care what other clubs do. If our riders want a certain thing in majority unless we have a reason not to we will generally agree.

Im pretty sure he used the 600 for 600 Extreme and Superbike but was on the 1000 for Open. Didnt really matter thou, it looked like Jodi had the 1000 in that race and Rupert the 600
    Nope the 1000 was not right following a crash he was on the 600 and he hates it BTW

Quote Originally Posted by TMPracing View Post
    Correction.... BOTH of my daughters now want to race, so it looks like I'm in the market for another bike. If anyone knows of anything that comes along please let me know.

My son wants to run a CBR125 next year as well. The hunt begins for a bike ...
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I don't agree with that, I think a 1L bike makes a much bigger difference when your just starting off, where as if your a pro you can actually take advantage of the lighter weight in the infield and then just put on the block hoping to keep a 1L behind you when cruising down the strait.

A newb will catch a 1L in the infield but not be able to pass it easily, once you hit the strait the 1L just pulls away and your screwed, start the cycle over again. Eventually you`ll make the pass but you would have eaten up valuable time.

Rupert's faster on his 1000 than on his 600, any reason other than having more power?
    Have you ever ridden a 1000 at TMP or any other tight track? Have you ever ridden a 1000 any track at all? Have you ever struggled with getting the power down out of every single corner at TMP? I'm in 2nd gear from turn 2 all the way around to the front straight.

As others have already stated, Rupert beat his own previous best on his 600. As it has already been said repeatedly, the HP of a 1000 comes as a trade off. It's faster in the straights but slower in the infield. Most of the time it's a net loss for the 1000 and at best its a wash.

And yet this is somehow unfair?

One problem......Were not all Jodi Christie's or even close to it! Using him as an example for this is kinda silly IMO....The Christie's have a winning package, its neither the kid or the bike alone that puts him ahead of everyone...

Say what you want I out rode that guy for half a lap, and his 1000 reeled me in at the line...Take away his 400cc's and that would have not happened...Different story if you pass him half way through the race, and have enough time to make a gap....On the last lap with only a few turns left, all he has to do is stay on your pace and use his power out of the last turn to reel you in.....

He beat me by maybe 1ft at the line, when its that close HP does matter

That being said I would probably be much slower on a 1000 because I have not ridden one long enough to handle one properly....I might be slightly faster in the straights, but slow in the corners...Id like to try one thou!
    Sorry to go back a few pages... but..

If a rider on a 1000 is able to match your pace through the infield then he's a better rider than you and deserves to beat you. You admit in that very post that the 1000's are harder to ride through the corners but then ignore that fact when criticizing the HP advantage.

How many more times do people have to say that TMP is not a horsepower track until you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Have you ever ridden a 1000 at TMP or any other tight track? Have you ever ridden a 1000 any track at all? Have you ever struggled with getting the power down out of every single corner at TMP? I'm in 2nd gear from turn 2 all the way around to the front straight.

As others have already stated, Rupert beat his own previous best on his 600. As it has already been said repeatedly, the HP of a 1000 comes as a trade off. It's faster in the straights but slower in the infield. Most of the time it's a net loss for the 1000 and at best its a wash.

And yet this is somehow unfair?

Sorry to go back a few pages... but..

If a rider on a 1000 is able to match your pace through the infield then he's a better rider than you and deserves to beat you. You admit in that very post that the 1000's are harder to ride through the corners but then ignore that fact when criticizing the HP advantage.

How many more times do people have to say that TMP is not a horsepower track until you agree?
    I guess he out rode us all then, all he has to do is not blow turn 2 again, and not make contact with first place takin him out....And the championship will be his...LOL....BTW he stuck with me in the qualifier only, not the race, and only for a 1/4 lap....I caught him from 22nd on the last lap...Had I had one more lap I would have stuffed him in turn one as he was breaking earlier then me, and gaped him enough that he would not be able to reel me in with his power on the straight....

In the race his best lap was 1:18.322 mine was 1:16.496 thats almost 2 seconds slower if your looking at full laps not the 1/4 lap that he was able to stick with me...He beat me in a drag race out of the last turn to the fisnish line, everywhere else on the track I out rode him and his bike...I know that and he knows that too...

I'll only admit a 1000 is harder for me to ride, that guy owns 4 1000RR's so maybe hes used to them? Why do you ride a 1000 if they are so hard to ride?

Gotta love the peanut gallery, I dont know if you were even there but I know you werent in the races like some of us were... Im sure the crowds opinion counts to Ken too, but I think its the people actually racing whos opinions hold more weight on this one...

Its pretty ****ing simple to me thou, like Ken said in the school they arent going to have rules they cant enforce...So if they arent going to enfroce the no 1000cc rule, then dump it ...And this discussion is over...I wont be buying a 1000 either way, but I will protest it if he beats me in a race for points..Simply because hes breaking the rules and Im not... Althouh it seems like I wont even have to be that guy, cause its bothering people already and hes only finished 4th and 6th...

I am building my motor over the winter however, but there are not rules agasint that either....So its fair game
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 09-19-2009 at 12:37 PM.

some people are just better on a superbike than a 600.

I hate 600's, I can't ride them well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    some people are just better on a superbike than a 600.

I hate 600's, I can't ride them well at all.
    Ive never ridden a 1000 long enough to handle one properly, the power delivery is totally different and even thou they get smaller and lighter each year they still feel like a big bike when Im on one...I just dont have the same confidence on one compared to a 600

I guess he out rode us all then, all he has to do is not blow turn 2 again, and not make contact with first place takin him out....And the championship will be his...LOL....BTW he stuck with me in the qualifier only, not the race, and only for a 1/4 lap....I caught him from 22nd on the last lap...Had I had one more lap I would have stuffed him in turn one as he was breaking earlier then me, and gaped him enough that he would not be able to reel me in with his power on the straight....

In the race his best lap was 1:18.322 mine was 1:16.496 thats almost 2 seconds slower if your looking at full laps not the 1/4 lap that he was able to stick with me...He beat me in a drag race out of the last turn to the fisnish line, everywhere else on the track I out rode him and his bike...I know that and he knows that too...

I'll only admit a 1000 is harder for me to ride, that guy owns 4 1000RR's so maybe hes used to them? Why do you ride a 1000 if they are so hard to ride?

Gotta love the peanut gallery, I dont know if you were even there but I know you werent in the races like some of us were... Im sure the crowds opinion counts to Ken too, but I think its the people actually racing whos opinions hold more weight on this one...

Its pretty ****ing simple to me thou, like Ken said in the school they arent going to have rules they cant enforce...So if they arent going to enfroce the no 1000cc rule, then dump it ...And this discussion is over...I wont be buying a 1000 either way, but I will protest it if he beats me in a race for points..Simply because hes breaking the rules and Im not... Althouh it seems like I wont even have to be that guy, cause its bothering people already and hes only finished 4th and 6th...

I am building my motor over the winter however, but there are not rules agasint that either....So its fair game
    I ride my 10 because it's what i had. I like it, it's the only thing i really know how to ride and it's all i've ever ridden. If i were to start over again i'd start on a 600 but that's not the hand i was dealt.

If you're going to argue that it's against the rules then i have no quarrel with that. The rules are written, if someone breaks them and loses in a protest so be it.

If you're going to argue that the 1000 has an unfair advantage at TMP you're out of your mind. If that same rider was on a 600RR instead of a 1000RR the race between you and him would never have happened. His riding would likely be very different. It's entirely possible that his lap times would be lower on the 600 and instead of beating you by 1 foot he would have beaten you by 20 bike lengths.

No?