Anyone have a US salvage title track bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a US salvage title track bike?

Anyone have a US salvage title track bike?

With our dollar the way it is right now, I'm looking south for my next track bike.

I've found a few potential candidates, some with salvage titles.

I've gone through the process of bringing a street bike over from the states, but how would it work for a track bike? Salvage title or not, I wouldn't be able to pass the RIV inspection at Canadian Tire. If I were to buy a bike with a clean title, can I register it 'unfit/unplated'?

Lastly, if I were to pick up a bike with a salvage title would I be able to cross the border for trackdays in the states without issue? Obviously I'd have the US salvage title and bill of sale.

Any help would be much appreciated. Please don't post information you don't know to be true. TIA!

-Richard

Re: Anyone have a US salvage title track bike?

Yes, brought a 07 CBR600RR in to Canada last year (Pretty much the only all orange one running TMP every now and then, with my wife in the saddle)

This I know, a salvaged titled US bike can never be licenced in Ontario.

I did my research and still had a little problem. I knew I had to bring the bike in for "parts only", however the customs guard handed me the wrong form which I filled out, and subsequently received a call from Canada Customs a couple weeks later. I ended up paying again (about $200.00) to have the bike registered as a parts only bike with Canada Customs, even tho it was their error. However, this was the easy way out for me....otherwise they were going to visit our home to inspect the bike??

We have crossed the border only once to visit the Grattan Michigan track...we were not asked for ownership or bill of sale.....

I do have one other friend that has imported a bike without and issues.

Good luck! Are you watching any on line auctions?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbich View Post
    Yes, brought a 07 CBR600RR in to Canada last year (Pretty much the only all orange one running TMP every now and then, with my wife in the saddle)

This I know, a salvaged titled US bike can never be licenced in Ontario.

I did my research and still had a little problem. I knew I had to bring the bike in for "parts only", however the customs guard handed me the wrong form which I filled out, and subsequently received a call from Canada Customs a couple weeks later. I ended up paying again (about $200.00) to have the bike registered as a parts only bike with Canada Customs, even tho it was their error. However, this was the easy way out for me....otherwise they were going to visit our home to inspect the bike??

We have crossed the border only once to visit the Grattan Michigan track...we were not asked for ownership or bill of sale.....

I do have one other friend that has imported a bike without and issues.

Good luck! Are you watching any on line auctions?

You can bring the bike over as a closed circuit competition only bike. You pick up the bike, show paper work at the border, pay pst and gst and go on your merry way. No Riv process.

As far as going back over the boarder with the bike, stop on the Canadian side first and declare the bike. They will give you a sticker and stamped paper for temporary export which acts as proof on your way back that the bike did come from Canada and you're not just trying to bringing a bike from the states.
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

I called the RIV a few weeks ago asking about a bike and the lady i spoke with told me that bikes with a "salvage rebuildable" title could actually be registered in Ontario. That went against everything i have heard lately about salvage title bikes, i think i am going to call back and get someone to send me something in writing to that effect.

I brought mine with salvage title form US as parts only. Had to pay around $70 riv fee and that was all. I will never be able to register it in Canada. The only thing is that it has to be on the list of admissible vehicles to enter Canada even though it is a parts only bike. Also, like the guy above make sure you fill out the correct form at the border. Lastly, I am certain that salvage title is not allowed to be registered in Ontario so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I called the RIV a few weeks ago asking about a bike and the lady i spoke with told me that bikes with a "salvage rebuildable" title could actually be registered in Ontario. That went against everything i have heard lately about salvage title bikes, i think i am going to call back and get someone to send me something in writing to that effect.
    The lady you spoke to is correct. I went ahead and did the Canadian Tire federal inspection but you may not have to, call the RIV on that point. As for the MTO registration, when you're at the MTO office, don't take no for an answer, I had to get the branch manager involved whom placed a call to her superior. The end result was an Ontario ownership with an irreparable brand.
    Previous: 93 CBR600, 97 900RR, 01 F4i, 00 RC51, 03 Jazz, 03 ZX6R, 08 600RR
    Current: 03 RC51

Quote Originally Posted by chindian View Post
    The end result was an Ontario ownership with an irreparable brand.

This is where the confusion starts.

its possible to title a salvage, not canadian bike, but it is not possible to make it street legal again if the original title is salvage/irreparable etc.

People still try to purchase salvage, out of province bikes and title them as street bikes here, this cannot be done.

It is possible to title an out of province, salvage bike with an irreparable ontario title for ownership only purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    This is where the confusion starts.

its possible to title a salvage, not canadian bike, but it is not possible to make it street legal again if the original title is salvage/irreparable etc.

People still try to purchase salvage, out of province bikes and title them as street bikes here, this cannot be done.

It is possible to title an out of province, salvage bike with an irreparable ontario title for ownership only purposes.
    That is what I understand as well, according to the MTO website.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...tml#vehicle13b

If you do get a US salvage title bike and want Ontario ownership do you still have to pay RIV fee though??

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Ducker View Post
    That is what I understand as well, according to the MTO website.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...tml#vehicle13b

If you do get a US salvage title bike and want Ontario ownership do you still have to pay RIV fee though??
    NO.

The info below was give to me from RIV management, I bring it with me any time I bring a bike across, along with her contact info.

I know it can be done without the Manufacturer stickers and I've always been able to get a sanctioning body letter without issue.

I've seen it done without either as well, I just prefer to have as much information as possible when I arrive.

The trick with Canada customs is to politely tell them what they need to do, rather than letting them try to determine this on their own, this is when the problems start as there do not seem to be any DEFINITE answers.

I show up with a recall clearance letter from the manufacturer, a letter from a sanctioning body and when I am asked what I am importing, I say "A RACING MOTORCYCLE" not "Motorcyle, streetbike, bike!" etc.

You could probably also get stickers made to put on the bike that say competition only.

If you make their job easy by going in with information rather than making them hunt for it, your experience will be much more enjoyable.

Competition Vehicles are exempt from the RIV program. Please ensure that the vehicle meets the criteria of a Competition Vehicle.

Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. These vehicles are exempt from the RIV program provided
    they:

(1) bear a label affixed by the manufacturer stating, in both official language, that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition; and/or

(2) is accompanied by a signed declaration clearly indicating that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition. This signed declaration MUST come from a racing sanctioning body. i.e. FIA, AMA, CART, etc.

Sincerely,

Christina Lima
    Team Lead, Registrar of Imported Vehicles

My biggest concern was actually obtaining an Ontario ownership in my name on a US salvage title bike. Again, specifically for ownership purposes and to make this smooth as butter when crossing the border.

Looks like it can be done, I'll phone RIV and find out EXACTLY what the procedure is.

Great thread! Couple of questions though:

1a. does the title need to be branded 'parts', or can you declare it as such?
    1b. logically the answer is 'no', but would you still need manufacturer recall clearance docs (in the case of a 'parts' bike)?

2a. if the bike is salvage/irreparable, do you need the recall clearance?
    2b. must you register an Ontario title on the bike, or would this merely be a bonus when selling it to someone else?

3. where do you get the sanctioning body letter in the event you choose to register the bike as a closed circuit competition vehicle?

4. are you still required to provide 24hrs notice prior to reaching the border?

5. what is the least expensive and/or most recommended method for doing this?

One last (off topic) question, can anyone recommend any good auction sites? I found 'ridesafely.com', but its privacy policy is veddy skeddy

Damn, life before July (when I took the intro to crack..er..track) was so simple...
    Opinions are like motorcycles; we all have one, some are just better than others

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    You can bring the bike over as a closed circuit competition only bike. You pick up the bike, show paper work at the border, pay pst and gst and go on your merry way. No Riv process.
    Yup, its just GST not both taxes. Just remember when you cross the border and have to fill out forms, know the name of the form beforehand so they don't give you the wrong one(they don't always know what to do with a salvage title bike). It should not be a parts only bike, then you have to pay both taxes. Plus its not parts only, its a full running bike.
    I live vicariously through myself
    VnM Sportgear
    vnmsport.com

I have Alberta salvage trackbikes.
    I would not recommend aquiring an Ont. ownership for a salvage foreign bike.
    I would keep all paperwork, and receipts, but leave it alone otherwise.
    When its changed to irrepairable Ont. it can never be changed back.
    But if its left salvageable, it can be sold, inspected, and put on the road anywhere, but Ont.
    Also, laws may change here as well, if they create an inspection for these bikes like they do everywhere else. Then these bikes will be allowed on the road here again too.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

the border gaurd would not allow you to bring a bike into canada without importing (if you are a canadian resident), unless he doesn't ask any questions or you lie about what you are doing with it

Quote Originally Posted by ungrateful_son View Post

1a. does the title need to be branded 'parts', or can you declare it as such?
    1b. logically the answer is 'no', but would you still need manufacturer recall clearance docs (in the case of a 'parts' bike)?

2a. if the bike is salvage/irreparable, do you need the recall clearance?
    2b. must you register an Ontario title on the bike, or would this merely be a bonus when selling it to someone else?

3. where do you get the sanctioning body letter in the event you choose to register the bike as a closed circuit competition vehicle?

4. are you still required to provide 24hrs notice prior to reaching the border?

5. what is the least expensive and/or most recommended method for doing this?

One last (off topic) question, can anyone recommend any good auction sites? I found 'ridesafely.com', but its privacy policy is veddy skeddy

Damn, life before July (when I took the intro to crack..er..track) was so simple...
    Anyone able to answer these questions? It seems there is alot of grey area's with importing a competition only bike.

Also this "For Competition Only" sticker, can you just get one made and stick it on before you cross the border? Or does it need to be from the manufacturer?

What is a sanctioning body letter? Where do you get one those too?

One last thing, after you bring it over the border labeled as a competition only vehicle, how do you transfer the ownership or is it possible? Do you need to go into the MTO and show them the forms from customs and pay whatever fee to get the ownership changed into an ontario competition only bike?
    Last edited by ShiftyEh; 10-22-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Competition only bikes are not registered with the MTO. Therefore, you can sell it to another person as if it was a snow-blower or a toaster or a goldfish.

You may have a street bike which is registered with the MTO which may also be used on the track. When you sell that, you will have to transfer the ownership (and the buyer pays the PST).

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

See my answers in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by ungrateful_son View Post

1a. does the title need to be branded 'parts', or can you declare it as such? any classification of title can be declared as parts, if you felt like it you could declare a clean titled bike as 'parts'.

1b. logically the answer is 'no', but would you still need manufacturer recall clearance docs (in the case of a 'parts' bike)? no

2a. if the bike is salvage/irreparable, do you need the recall clearance? no, so long as you import it for parts only
    2b. must you register an Ontario title on the bike, or would this merely be a bonus when selling it to someone else? no. if the bike has a US Salvage title you can get an Ontario Branded title for it but it might take a lot of talking and convincing to MTO people.

3. where do you get the sanctioning body letter in the event you choose to register the bike as a closed circuit competition vehicle? not sure on this one, sorry.

4. are you still required to provide 24hrs notice prior to reaching the border? if you're going to clear the bike with US Customs prior to leaving the US then yes... but check with that particular border crossing.. some ports require 72 hours.

5. what is the least expensive and/or most recommended method for doing this? find a bike somewhat close to the border, drive down there and pick it up, drive home.

Mississauga ('08 ZX-14 Street, '02 GSXR750 Track))

Quote Originally Posted by TLDeano View Post
    I have Alberta salvage trackbikes.
    I would not recommend aquiring an Ont. ownership for a salvage foreign bike.
    I would keep all paperwork, and receipts, but leave it alone otherwise.
    When its changed to irrepairable Ont. it can never be changed back.
    But if its left salvageable, it can be sold, inspected, and put on the road anywhere, but Ont.
    Also, laws may change here as well, if they create an inspection for these bikes like they do everywhere else. Then these bikes will be allowed on the road here again too.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    the border gaurd would not allow you to bring a bike into canada without importing (if you are a canadian resident), unless he doesn't ask any questions or you lie about what you are doing with it

I agree completely with TLDeano, no need to change the title.

Yes, you still do have to import it into Canada, but you declare it as parts or whatever and pay the respective fees, but you don't touch the title. No need to.

When traveling to the US, then visit your Customs office and as mentioned, obtain the stamped certificate which indicates that the bike originated in Canada. This will allow re-crossing the border back into Canada. We've also used this same form as proof to the US customs agents when bringing the bike into the US.

As someone posted, make the customs officer's life as easy as possible and tell them what you want. Otherwise, they're hunting for an answer and you may not like the answer you get.

During our last crossing into the US with the track bikes, they checked ownership and documentation for ALL bikes. So be safe rather than sorry.
    DVS in name....DVS in nature.....

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post
    I agree completely with TLDeano, no need to change the title.

Yes, you still do have to import it into Canada, but you declare it as parts or whatever and pay the respective fees, but you don't touch the title. No need to.

When traveling to the US, then visit your Customs office and as mentioned, obtain the stamped certificate which indicates that the bike originated in Canada. This will allow re-crossing the border back into Canada. We've also used this same form as proof to the US customs agents when bringing the bike into the US.

As someone posted, make the customs officer's life as easy as possible and tell them what you want. Otherwise, they're hunting for an answer and you may not like the answer you get.

During our last crossing into the US with the track bikes, they checked ownership and documentation for ALL bikes. So be safe rather than sorry.
    So just to clarify ... If I wanted to bring a bike across the border and back without papers I can visit the customs office for the certificate and I'm good? If I've build a bike from parts in Canada and don't have any paper work for it how would it work?
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Mississauga ('08 ZX-14 Street, '02 GSXR750 Track))

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    So just to clarify ... If I wanted to bring a bike across the border and back without papers I can visit the customs office for the certificate and I'm good? If I've build a bike from parts in Canada and don't have any paper work for it how would it work?
    Yes, all you need is the certificate to indicate that the bike originated in Canada. It doesn't matter if it's a US title bike in Canada, the certificate proves that the bike was in Canada, taken out of Canada and therefore is entitled to be brought back into Canada.

With regards to the title, you do NOT have to change the title to your name if you are NOT plating the vehicle and putting it on the road.

I currently have a US title and went to the customs office indicating that the bike was previously brought into Canada but still has the US title and I want to make sure that I can bring the bike back into Canada without any hassles.... I was issued the certificate.

I just reread your question and yes, if you do not have any papers and built the bike from parts, they will still issue the certificate. They typically use the VIN as an identification of the bike, but if it's a race bike without a VIN, they will try to describe the year make and model and any other descriptive marks such as colour.
    Last edited by DVS; 10-28-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    DVS in name....DVS in nature.....

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo