Running.. ugghh - Page 10

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Running.. ugghh

Re: Running.. ugghh

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I went out for a run last week a bit later. Ended up running down the cycling paths along the Thames River when it was fully dark out. After my eyes adjusted it was sorta neat running just with moon light. But ya my imagination was going nuts. Zombies and boogiemen!
    In the old days there were always stories about the forests having spirits and weird characters in the forest. You don't believe in any of that but when u are alone and start hearing things, u can't help but wonder
    Resident Loudmouth

I bought a flashlight for my head...I can't wait to use it tonight.
    New to me for 2012.

This past month I got some consistency. About 4-5 runs / week. Not where I want to be, but not bad. I'd like to aim for at least 6 runs per week. I'd like to get to around 50km/week by the end of the year. Ultimately I'd like to be around 70-80km / week by spring. The plan is very unstructured right now. I'm doing most running easy, strides 1-2 times a week with one ~20min tempo run. Seeing some progress already but still a long way to go.
    len = len + 20; /* add some buffer */

Does anyone train on a treadmill in this kind of weather?

I have a 10K on January 1st. My pace is a good minute and a half slower on the treadmill than outside. I run at a 1% incline to "simulate" running outside. I found it odd that I'd be faster outside than on the treadmill.

(I am by no means fast....just faster outside).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post

I have a 10K on January 1st. My pace is a good minute and a half slower on the treadmill than outside. I run at a 1% incline to "simulate" running outside. I found it odd that I'd be faster outside than on the treadmill.

I find that some treadmills read low/high on the speed. The speed difference could also be due to cooling or due to inaccurate route measurements outside (ie short).

Quote Originally Posted by moosh009 View Post
    I find that some treadmills read low/high on the speed. The speed difference could also be due to cooling or due to inaccurate route measurements outside (ie short).
    I don't go by the treadmill speed. I run with a Nike Plus sport band that gives me my distance and pace.

I can't use treadmills for some reason. I can't keep my balance on them, I constantly feel like i'm on the verge of a treadmill yard sale.

So long as the sidewalks are clear/dry I can still run outside in the winter. If it's rainy and gross... spin or elliptical. My running suffers a bit in the winter.

I don't go by the treadmill speed. I run with a Nike Plus sport band that gives me my distance and pace.
    Is that one of those foot pods on your shoe? I'm not familiar with this one, but I heard that some of the foot pods can be off quite a bit if you change your stride. I heard people calibrating theirs on an easy run, then do a faster run to find the measurement off as much as 10%, so if your stride is different on the treadmill that could account for some of the difference.

My bet would be on the differences in cooling, unless you already use a fan on the treadmill.

Nike updated it's running app for the ipod and the distance is spot on when calculated against google maps.
    New to me for 2012.

I can't use treadmills for some reason. I can't keep my balance on them, I constantly feel like i'm on the verge of a treadmill yard sale.

So long as the sidewalks are clear/dry I can still run outside in the winter. If it's rainy and gross... spin or elliptical. My running suffers a bit in the winter.
    Try looking at a fixed object directly in front of you at a reasonable distance away at first.
    Last edited by moosh009; 12-05-2011 at 10:50 AM.

I am the same way about treadmills, because you have to keep a precise speed. It's just unnatural to me.

Alternatively, I use one of these: http://www.woodway.com/performancetreadmills/curve.html

they are at my gym. It's completely runner-powered.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

That's weird. Any chance that your strides aren't registering when your foot hits the treadmill? There's a lot more shock absorption than when you're running outside. Not to mention that running on concrete's definitely harder on your body. That seems like way too big of a difference to be true

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    That's weird. Any chance that your strides aren't registering when your foot hits the treadmill? There's a lot more shock absorption than when you're running outside. Not to mention that running on concrete's definitely harder on your body. That seems like way too big of a difference to be true
    I am slower on a treadmill, but not 2 minutes slower. I find it difficult because it's so monotonous. But the pace it registers when running outside is relatively accurate.

Now if only it would stop raining so I could do my long runs outside.

Ahahaha, so true!
    I'm really scared to use the treadmill at the gym cuz I might make a goof out of myself
    Resident Loudmouth

I like treadmill running for up to about 45 minutes. After that there better be some good sports on the TV or it's just too boring. If UFC or MMA is on, then I can run endlessly on treadmill. Lately, I've been doing about a 5k a day on the treadmill, but now it's time to start increasing my distance and slowing my pace - so outside I go.

I just signed up for the chilly half marathon. Fee for registration was $80ish and they give a running jacket - sweet.

I might sign up again for the Around The Bay 30k, but I swore the last time I did it that I would never run more than 21k again.

My girlfriend just started training for an Ironman next year. Those people are dedicated.
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 12-05-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

12km everyday...in a hour, on the elliptical. This is on top of weights and muay thai. Hell, I even work skate patrol now which is about 5 hours constantly on the ice.

Holiday Bump.

Now I'm getting some sort a strain or knot near my hip flexor or lower abs It's making it difficult to do my speed workouts and I hope it doesn't get worse.... I did run 20k last weekend and felt ok, but by the end I could barely lift my left leg...

Got a Garmin Forerunner 410 watch for Christmas - these things are pretty sweet. I hope it makes the pain in my leg go away....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I am the same way about treadmills, because you have to keep a precise speed. It's just unnatural to me.

Alternatively, I use one of these: http://www.woodway.com/performancetreadmills/curve.html

they are at my gym. It's completely runner-powered.
    edit.. just saw this post and would really like to try one out - what gym do you go to where these are at?
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 12-29-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

I tore my right hip flexor and it never healed properly. My chiropractor recently taught me a great stretch that has helped a lot. He calls it the couch stretch. Basically you bend your leg at the knee and rest your shin on the couch. stay in position for 2-3 minutes. it has helped me tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShark View Post
    for those of you who run to lose weight, have you heard of high intensity interval training (HIIT)? It's a much more efficient way of burning fat and the key benefits are that you will save yourself loads of time and also save your knee's and back from running too much... HIIT is the way to go.. I'm just saying. My 2 cents.
    Thanks for sharing your 2 cents. I'm interested in trying 'HIIT'. How would you suggest/recommend timing the intervals? TIA
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Thanks for sharing your 2 cents. I'm interested in trying 'HIIT'. How would you suggest/recommend timing the intervals? TIA
    They explain it here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

This type of exercise is already whats incorporated into many "boot camp" style fitness training places.

Its a very good and effective exercise.

Skitta.....in your area, these guys offer this type of training.... dont ask me how I know.

www.healthquest1.ca First session is FREE!
    Last edited by SunnY S; 12-31-2011 at 07:26 AM.