Running.. ugghh - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Running.. ugghh

Re: Running.. ugghh

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Just ran the Chilly Half Marathon a few weeks ago, and managed to chop 35 minutes off my previous time. I could have managed an even better time, but I made some mistakes. I got too hot halfway through and had to stop to change my top but then when my bib started blowing across the grass in the wind and I lost my pins that held it onto my shirt... took a while to get it all sorted out. The first 10k I ran in 45 minutes. The second 10k I ran in 68?

In my training up until the race I was running about 50k/week, cycling about 90 minutes a week, with lot's of strength training in between. Ran a 5k in 19 minutes during my training which makes me think I should start training for shorter distances as I kinda dislike the longer stuff. Lost about 12lbs during my training too which was good.

I took two weeks off for rest after the half marathon and now I'm going to slowly ramp it back up. Physical work as a day job and exercise in the evening makes for good nights sleep.

My girlfriend has signed up and is training for the Mont Tremblant Ironman this summer. For those that don't know, it's roughly a 3.8km swim, followed by a 180km bike, followed by a 42.2km run.
    Wow, that's nuts!
    I don't think I can achieve that in this point in my life. It would mean I have to devote alot of time training and at the end of the day you're too tired to do anything physical.

Good for you tho
    Resident Loudmouth

Personally, I don't think I dedicate much time at all to training. I just do it for fitness and to stay in good shape and it's more of a lifestyle than anything... Strangely enough, I'm tired when I take a break from exercise... I feel more energetic on a daily basis with regular or consistent exercise.

People who do Ironman's are crazy.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Just ran the Chilly Half Marathon a few weeks ago, and managed to chop 35 minutes off my previous time. I could have managed an even better time, but I made some mistakes. I got too hot halfway through and had to stop to change my top but then when my bib started blowing across the grass in the wind and I lost my pins that held it onto my shirt... took a while to get it all sorted out. The first 10k I ran in 45 minutes. The second 10k I ran in 68?

In my training up until the race I was running about 50k/week, cycling about 90 minutes a week, with lot's of strength training in between. Ran a 5k in 19 minutes during my training which makes me think I should start training for shorter distances as I kinda dislike the longer stuff. Lost about 12lbs during my training too which was good.
    Congrats on the 35 minutes PR, but if you really went 45/68 (even with few minutes fixing your top, say 45/60) all I can say is Ouch. That's a pretty major positive split, and sounds painful . Do you think you went out too fast or did you have other problems during the second half? Hope you get that sorted out for your next one.

As for doing shorter stuff (5K, etc), I highly recommend it. It'll improve your running. The only thing I don't like about the shorter stuff is the intense pain. I find the shorter the distance the more painful it is .
    len = len + 20; /* add some buffer */

Quote Originally Posted by moosh009 View Post
    Congrats on the 35 minutes PR, but if you really went 45/68 (even with few minutes fixing your top, say 45/60) all I can say is Ouch. That's a pretty major positive split, and sounds painful . Do you think you went out too fast or did you have other problems during the second half? Hope you get that sorted out for your next one.
    I did go out a bit too fast, because a 45 minute 10k is too fast for my 1/2 marathon pace. Also my feet started to get numb (which happens often) so I had to stop and take my shoes off a bit for a few minutes. I had a total of 12 minutes of stoppage time to change clothes and rest my feet. Cardio was fine though...

Goal time was under 2hrs, ideal would have been 1:40, I came in around 1:53. I should have run a 50/55 for a total time of around 1:45. It's only my second 1/2 so a good learning experience overall.

I was doing 1:50 in training, so I know I could do much better. Looking forward to running some shorter distances... 10k's and 5k's for while.

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Thinking of doing the boxercise at cabbagetown boxing club. Does anyone recommend any other boxing gyms with good cardio workouts before I go ahead with this one?

Our trainer just introduced Boxing type exercise into our workout routine. Wow, I have new respect for boxers. Its very tiring! I dont think I would last more than 2 rounds in a match.

Great exercise though, and glad its part of the routine now.

And props to you joggers out there..... looks like I need to up my 2 x 5k jogs per week!

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Our trainer just introduced Boxing type exercise into our workout routine. Wow, I have new respect for boxers. Its very tiring! I dont think I would last more than 2 rounds in a match.

Great exercise though, and glad its part of the routine now.

And props to you joggers out there..... looks like I need to up my 2 x 5k jogs per week!

Anybody who's been in a fistfight would tell you how fit u have to be. After that adrenaline wears off, its all about fitness, skill and smarts.

How do u think I used to fare with my bigger bro
    Resident Loudmouth

Thread revival!

Anyone here tried barefoot running?

I picked up these a few weeks ago:
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Runnin...shoes-mens.jsp

But then I aggrevated my hip flexor the day I got them. I wasn't able to actually run in them until this past Monday. They're super weird but it mades me feel very bouncy and light. It will take some getting used to, and certainly works the leg muscles differently. I only did 1.7km (I was advised to start off with very short distances) and even after just that distance my calves felt like grapefruits stuffed into tube socks! Yikes!

Since then I've been on the bikes but I'll be running in them again this weekend. Im curious to see how slowly/quickly I'll be able to add distance.

I hear they are great if you want killer calves/lower leg muscles... Haven't tried them though. I can imagine how sore I would be after a barefoot run.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Thread revival!

Anyone here tried barefoot running?

I picked up these a few weeks ago:
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Runnin...shoes-mens.jsp
    Did you run on pavement at all to get to trails with them? I would be interested to try something like this out, but the nearest soft trails are about 2km from my house so I wonder how they would feel/last on the pavement to get to the trails. Are you still heel striking with them too?

Interested to know more... I assume not even thin socks are worn with them?

edit: I just read a bunch of the reviews of them (answering most of my questions) and they seem very interesting. I have constant achilles, calf and hamstring issues too. I am going for a running gait analysis soon and we'll see what that shows me. These look really good.
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 05-08-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Did you run on pavement at all to get to trails with them? I would be interested to try something like this out, but the nearest soft trails are about 2km from my house so I wonder how they would feel/last on the pavement to get to the trails. Are you still heel striking with them too?

Interested to know more... I assume not even thin socks are worn with them?

edit: I just read a bunch of the reviews of them (answering most of my questions) and they seem very interesting. I have constant achilles, calf and hamstring issues too. I am going for a running gait analysis soon and we'll see what that shows me. These look really good.
    I have been having a hip flexor issue lately, then I had a really big get-off on my road bike (bicycle) so I have not been running much lately. I was planning on doing the Trisport duathlon in Waterloo next Monday but I think that'll have to wait.

I have only run in the Trail Gloves twice, on the sidewalk. Hard pavement but if you run properly you use muscle to cushion it. Feels really weird but i do like it. Hopefully I'm back on it soon and can start adding distance slowly.