"Clear Bra" Type Product for Bikes?

Thread: "Clear Bra" Type Product for Bikes?

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

"Clear Bra" Type Product for Bikes?

Is there a product for bikes that you can use to protect your fairings from scratches similar to that which is available for the front of cars to protect from stone chips? Possibly the same stuff in a "cut to fit" form? A place to install it for a decent price would be nice as well.

I dropped my bike while I wasn't even on it this morning (trying to maneuver out of the garage with a car parked in front of it, not enough room to work and lost my balance) and while there were no scratches (bent the arm on my mirror though) it had me wondering if such a product would've helped reduce the risk of them happening in the same event. Not to mention stone chips are probably still just as much a concern on a bike as on a car. I also have some deep scratches on my fairing that I think came from a zipper on my jacket sleeve while I was inspecting some stuff that could've been prevented if there was something protecting it.

Re: "Clear Bra" Type Product for Bikes?

3M tape, i use it on my car to protect the hood from road crap...works like a charm...expensive, but worth it...

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/index.html

works well, hopefully your good at applying films.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    im too slow...

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by NP6000 View Post
    http://www.thetankslapper.biz/index.html

works well, hopefully your good at applying films.
    I'm not. Anyone install this kind of stuff in Ontario?

Any 3M shop should be able to do it, for example, the shop where I had my car done. 3M Trimline, corner of Dixie and Drew Road, Mississauga.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I'm not. Anyone install this kind of stuff in Ontario?
    A credit card, maybe a heat gun, spray bottle, and some patience. You'll be just fine if you buy the pre cut stuff.

If your starting with a blank roll of material, might be best to let someone else take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Is there a product for bikes that you can use to protect your fairings from scratches similar to that which is available for the front of cars to protect from stone chips? Possibly the same stuff in a "cut to fit" form? A place to install it for a decent price would be nice as well.

I dropped my bike while I wasn't even on it this morning (trying to maneuver out of the garage with a car parked in front of it, not enough room to work and lost my balance) and while there were no scratches (bent the arm on my mirror though) it had me wondering if such a product would've helped reduce the risk of them happening in the same event. Not to mention stone chips are probably still just as much a concern on a bike as on a car. I also have some deep scratches on my fairing that I think came from a zipper on my jacket sleeve while I was inspecting some stuff that could've been prevented if there was something protecting it.
    No stick on film is tough enough to protect in a tipover. 3M makes stuff that is really strong, but you need a wizard to install on compound curves. A buddy had the front endge of his snowmobile hood done after we cracked it. That was a few years ago and the film is still holding on. The installer really had to work with a heat gun, squeegees and a razor to get it laid down nicely. Any 3M shop should be able to do it.

Princess Auto sells clear body protector film for about $5 a roll. I've used it on small areas on the bike where stuff was scraping near the bungee cords. Looks fine and hardly notice it. Applying it to curved surfaces is another story. Bit tricky but with patience and using the wet method (a little bit of soapy water) I think it would be fine. Cut it with an exacto knife and a metal ruler for accurate shapes I also used a guilotine paper cutter too.

It's probably not that hard using the soap and water method to install it. There's a bit of time and forgiveness with air bubbles doing it that way. If it was just a big sticker it would be much harder.