Proposal to end traffic congestion on the DVP - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Proposal to end traffic congestion on the DVP

Re: Proposal to end traffic congestion on the DVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    That $200.00, multiplied by the number of homes in Toronto, makes for a not inconsiderable sum. How much have most of those homes appreciated since the people who own them, bought them?
    You'd be right except Toronto has 943k houeholds and Mississauga has around 200k, with Toronto only being twice the geographic size. Again, density leads to efficiency which should lead to lower nominal property tax rates. Just because homes cost more in Toronto doesn't mean it costs more to pick up garbage or provide police etc.

Efficiencies aren't that straight forward. Toronto has higher densities, but also very old infrastructure needing desperate repair with a huge budget (that they aren't doing enough either) and expensive transit far beyond 905 as part of their budget.

Toronto has always had low property tax and very high business tax compared to the 905 and this has accounted for most of the difference. So they are just taxing their property/business base at opposite rates to the 905. That and they have been getting huge sums ($400 million) per year from the province just to balance their budget. So their property tax has been low for a few different reasons.

Supposedly that will change. The high business tax has driven out a lot of business to the 905 and the mayor and council have already begun to raise property tax and lower business tax to better compare and compete with the 905. It has been in the news for years. It will be a slow and steady process to minimize taxpayer pain (and probably their noticing it too).

TO is in for a big wake-up call on their budget. The news reported that McSquinty will stop patching up their budget shortfalls. And I hope so. TO has levels of service far beyond what the 905 gets. Far far beyond. Free pools, house hazardous waste pick up, etc, etc, etc.

Anyways, back to the OP. IMO tolls are coming. Especially with McSquinty and his tax/bantario strategy. My guess is that they'll do it for the entire major highway system in the GTA. Then they can't be told they are picking on TO and they get even more money.
    http://www.verylittlebrain.com/kyle/avatarsm.jpg

break mode........

Quote Originally Posted by Taternuts View Post
    You'd be right except Toronto has 943k houeholds and Mississauga has around 200k, with Toronto only being twice the geographic size. Again, density leads to efficiency which should lead to lower nominal property tax rates. Just because homes cost more in Toronto doesn't mean it costs more to pick up garbage or provide police etc.
    Kyle said it pretty well, so I don't really need to expand upon it much.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

How about this, since big business ends up getting all the tax breaks regularily give them another one, but out the onus on them to provide transit.

example; if the Manulife Centre has 45 employees in Whitby or the surrounding area, create a meeting/parking spot or lot, in the Durham Region for said employees to meet. At which point "Big Business" provides a bus (at a significant tax break) to pick up the employees and drop them at the building's front door. If the building has more then one business in it, as most do, then there would have to be some collaboration but this would be an effective and most importantly cost effective way of relieving both the traffic problem and the polution problem in one fell swoop.

This car/bus pool lots could be strategically placed all over the GTA. The lots could be provided by either the municipality or big business.

My other suggestion is resticting or prohibiting transport trucks to be on the 400 series highways at rush hour times. Anything that can be delivered during the day can likely be delivered at night. GM and other large companies do this all the time as they save money by having diminished travel times for the transport trucks.

Another idea would be to have an express lane on the 401 that enters at the the east end of the city and exits at the west end with no transfers. I understand the nightmares of breakdowns and empty gas tanks, but as a driver and a rider i feel that the average citizen has an onus on them to be less then a ********* and have a little preparedness worked into their daily routine.

Let me know what you think?
    Last edited by Gixxer6; 09-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer6 View Post

Another idea would be to have an express lane on the 401 that enters at the the east end of the city and exits at the west end with no transfers. I understand the nightmares of breakdowns and empty gas tanks, but as a driver and a rider i feel that the average citizen has an onus on them to be less then a ********* and have a little preparedness worked into their daily routine.

Let me know what you think?
    I would love this as i must pass through toronto to get to family in south western ontario.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

TO is a dying city as it is... expenses are too large for businesses to remain there, salaries are growing too large, renting office space is becoming a monumental cost, taxes are closer to extortion... My office was moved out of TO, and next year my gf's office will be moving to the burbs as well. (These are large companies, not mom and poppers). Real estate market will drop, businesses will close becasue there are fewer commuters bringing money to the city core to spend on a daily basis.
    As for people that live in the core that try to get more taxes from commuters from outside areas?

Toronto has a crumbling infrastructure that needs serious coin to maintain and update... When you buy a house, do you not consider the foundation, maintenence, and age of the home? Buying into Toronto and then complaining about the tax you pay is just rediculous... Are taxes too high and unfair? Probably... but most places in Ontario pay too much based on their living expenses and pay scales regardless if you live in TO or the burbs. TO complains about people that come from outside the city and don't pay the taxes... News for you folks... without the daily rat racers commuting to the big smoke, it would be a poor city with very little money circulating... TO is only a major hub because of the commuters. Commuters fill jobs, make money and spend it with businesses in TO 5 days a week... They also pay a rediculous amount of money in taxes when they fill up their gas tank to make that commute to work.

Everyone in Ontario pays crazy amounts in taxes... You make a dollar and get to spend apx 50% of it after taxes... Point the fingers at the politicians that ask for more and more... don't try to pawn off extra taxes on one another... we are all getting raped as it is.
    Sometimes the sun makes beggars believers
    And sometimes a shrine is built to deceive her
    In between let oblivion ring
    Whoa let me hear all you sad angels sing

Appaloosa