What is the likely ticket for lane filtering?

Thread: What is the likely ticket for lane filtering?

What is the likely ticket for lane filtering?

After it taking over two hours (normal time is 45 mins) to get to work the past two days due to school starting and traffic being absolutely insane, I'm seriously considering lane filtering slowly (not lane splitting as in while cars are moving) to get to the front of a light. I wouldn't filter between cars but rather to the right of the rightmost lane. I'm just wondering what ticket this is likely to result in should I get caught.

I suppose stunt driving is a possibility but what is more likely?

Re: What is the likely ticket for lane filtering?

Low end: Improper lane use.

High end: Stunting and a bus pass for a week.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I think Rob's high end charge is the most likely.

Remember that guy who was on the news back when this legislation came into effect who went into the exit lane via the shoulder and got impounded?

I wouldn't risk it.

There's a guy on this board who lost his bike for lane splitting, because he couldn't pay the towing and impound fees.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Maybe I should just turn the bike off and walk it down the sidewalk since I honestly think that would be faster on some stretches of my route to work downtown.

I too was also thinking about this, I've developed a bad habit... but what comforts me is the thought: "how will a cop stuck in traffic move to stop me?"

I figure, as long as I'm surrounded by traffic, I don't see how a cop can communicate "pull over you".. So I proceed between lanes at a safe pace until my destination.

Lane splitting is fun, I do it from Islington to Spadina on the QE every morning. The state of being alert and constantly scanning for cops and cracks in the road is exhausting and reminds me of the state of meditation.

What's dangerous are the cracks between the lanes. There are gaps between lanes (in the pavement) that my entire front tire can fit inside if you're going too slow.

I think the key is to be inaccessible to the LEO's and not piss other drivers off with a loud exhaust or pass too fast. I've never had a problem with cagers, I nod when I can. I figure it's entertaining for them to see a good looking SS rider pass them in dress shoes and pin strip pants to work.

Thoughts?

Always be in the state of NOW, when lane splitting. The state of conscience involved is an awesome waker-upper.
    Last edited by moosio; 09-10-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Typically when a rider gets caught for this it's either by an officer who has tailed him until he thinks that he's in the clear, or when they're doing a targeted sweep for some other sort of infraction and are in the road ahead of you. A good number of riders have been caught over the years at the top of the ramp from Lakeshore west-bound to Gardiner west-bound, at York, when they're nailing car drivers who are trying to force their way up in the breakdown lane.

I think g4getmoney got nailed for this a year or so ago. He got a stunting charge (which I believe he eventually beat), but it cost him a fortune.

Looking at a 2 hour commute, I would be attempting to use transit for part of the journey or a different route. Good luck.

Traffic will eventually ease up when cage drivers get used to the brats off to school. Sit tight and amuse yourself somehow. It happens every September.

Except that THIS September the ramp from The Gardiner west-bound to 427 north is screwed by construction. My travel times are up by at least 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    After it taking over two hours (normal time is 45 mins) to get to work the past two days due to school starting and traffic being absolutely insane, I'm seriously considering lane filtering slowly (not lane splitting as in while cars are moving) to get to the front of a light. I wouldn't filter between cars but rather to the right of the rightmost lane. I'm just wondering what ticket this is likely to result in should I get caught.

I suppose stunt driving is a possibility but what is more likely?
    If you're going to filter, don't do it on the right of the rightmost lane. That is dangerous. It also could mean that you're using the shoulder of the road, which is also a no-no.

If you're going to filter, do so only in stopped traffic. If traffic is moving, get into a lane. Filter only at very low speed, try to go no faster than a bicycle would otherwise go.

I think if you follow this advice, a large number of police officers will choose to look the other way, and very few motorists will get annoyed. However, recognize that it is ILLEGAL to do this, some motorists will get annoyed, and some police officers will choose to strictly enforce the law.

They could charge you with stunting and take your bike for a week.

This is the risk you're taking, and it's up to you if you feel comfortable. I used to feel more comfortable taking the risk before the stunting law came into effect. Nowadays I filter much less than I used to, because the consequences are potentially much greater. Don't forget, if you get charged with stunting, you lose your ENTIRE license for a week, so you can't just drive your car.

--- D

Did it this morning at just before the Lawrence bridge, passed 2 cops directing traffic. Cop even waved me though just before the lights to the bridge.

Depending on how you are doing it, I think that in most cases, you'll be ok. But don't cry foul if you get caught and lose the bike. Like yourself, I have been doing it all week as well. Watching cars push their way into spots they shouldn't be, improper lane changing to sqeeze into a lane, hell with them. It's a bad habit, but you know what, cagers in general have way too many bad habits for me to stop doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post
    Did it this morning at just before the Lawrence bridge, passed 2 cops directing traffic. Cop even waved me though just before the lights to the bridge.

Depending on how you are doing it, I think that in most cases, you'll be ok. But don't cry foul if you get caught and lose the bike. Like yourself, I have been doing it all week as well. Watching cars push their way into spots they shouldn't be, improper lane changing to sqeeze into a lane, hell with them. It's a bad habit, but you know what, cagers in general have way too many bad habits for me to stop doing this.
    I don't think it's a bad habit, if it's done properly. It's time we start convincing the rest of Toronto that there's nothing wrong with it.

--- D

Banned

Just as a side note, I started riding in Toronto 8 years ago and moved to London UK, where I honed my riding craft over the past 7 years.

When I first moved there "filtering" was illegal, but HEAVILY practiced and the law never enforced. The logic of it was silly to anyone with eyes! Why hold up a 2 wheeler at slow speeds if they can safely and easily filter to the front of the qeue passing anywhere from 5 to 80 car line ups?!?!

2 years after my move there, the law was dropped and filtering was allowed.

Now, first thing is faaaaar more people ride out there, and ride more responsibly, and the insurance companies make it near impossible for anyone under 27 or so to have a 1000R; lucky to be 25 and have a 600R. So in some way the culture weeded out the stunting idiots! Here the culture used to be different...any 18 year old ****** could pick up an R1 and ram himself into the back of a car, not to mention the "too cool, too fool" crowd who drive their cages like 'ol Vin!

Now that being said the culture is changing here with faaaaaaaaar more scooters and bikes than I remember before I left, and slowly but surely the posing / stunting crowd is maturing. The more people push the filtering issue RESPONSIBLY the more the law will go lax on enforcement. And a kind chat with the cop displaying a rider's maturity will probably have the ticket slide. I would point to the 2005 parking laws of evidence of this new trend. But it may take some years for this to get to the state of say...jay walking.

So filter with care peeps. And use it wisely....if you aint got no place to go in any hurry and just enjoying the smell of gas and sunshine, don't push your luck.

PS I found a loud exhaust and pushbike pace keeps the cagers from getting pissy and honking (attracting more attention) or pulling some *** swerve move on ya. They hate surprises, so the loud exhuast gives them a few seconds notice so they don't spill their lattes on their laps!

PS, highway filtering in 40km crippled traffic doing 80km on the bike with the FULL respect of the cagers and cops (even parting for you cause they ARE aware of bikes) is an incredible feeling but for the moment reserved to countries like the UK!

Some day Canada, some day!