Is it true that the cop who gives you a ticket no longer has to be present at trial ?

Thread: Is it true that the cop who gives you a ticket no longer has to be present at trial ?

Is it true that the cop who gives you a ticket no longer has to be present at trial ?

I know in the past if the cop didn't show up on trial date the charges were dismissed.
    A couple of my friends told me that they showed up at court and were told by the prosecutor that "the prosecutor" is the cop's representative at court and the cop doesn't necessarily have to show up for them to get charged.
    Has anyone heard anything similar to this or is it just their tactic to force you into pleading guilty ?????

thanks

Re: Is it true that the cop who gives you a ticket no longer has to be present at tri

I heard about the cops/MADD cows and other lobbyists clammoring for it, but AFIK, it's all rabblerabllerabble for now.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Re: Is it true that the cop who gives you a ticket no longer has to be present at tri

I can't see how this would ever change. In order to be convicted, the prosecutor needs to present evidence. As the prosecutor cannot testify, without a cop or somebody else there who can act as a witness for the prosecution, they have no evidence. No evidence = no conviction.
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith

2007 BMW K1200S (silver/blue/black) (gone)
    2005 BMW R1200RT (gone)
    2002 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic (gone)

There was talk that the cop would sign an affidavit with their version of the events and this would be admissible in court without them being present. Sounded shady and I don't know if it ever happened. It should be fairly easy to raise reasonable doubt though if all they have is a typed page. It is damn hard to fully describe a situation in writing. I suspect it would be a hell of a lot easier to beat tickets if this ever happened.

I'm told this is common practice in Quebec, so it wouldn't suprise me to see Ontario try to adopt it.

Apparently the officer provides his notes to the prosecutor, who reads them into evidence and they try the case based on the notes. Officers only actually appear for criminal charges there now.
    If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face - Rage Against The Machine

It's true, they don't have to be there. However they get overtime to actually show up, so a lot of them do. Otherwise, it's no big deal to them. It doesn't look very good though if they don't show up. The prosecutor does not have much to go on, and if you have a lawyer, it's pretty much a good day.

If you have half a brain you'd be able to cast reasonable doubt on a type written statement.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    If you have half a brain you'd be able to cast reasonable doubt on a type written statement.
    I would imagine, that all you really have to do is ask the statement the right questions and wait for a response.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

You have the right to cross examination. I can't see that ever being revoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

isn't there something in the Canadian Charter Of Rights And Freedom that says you have the right to face your accuser and cross examine that person?
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    isn't there something in the Canadian Charter Of Rights And Freedom that says you have the right to face your accuser and cross examine that person?
    No, there is not.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    I would imagine, that all you really have to do is ask the statement the right questions and wait for a response.
    You are on the right thought idea.

An affidavit cannot be cross examined, and as such, holds little weight. It simply is a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by k2p2 View Post
    I know in the past if the cop didn't show up on trial date the charges were dismissed.
    A couple of my friends told me that they showed up at court and were told by the prosecutor that "the prosecutor" is the cop's representative at court and the cop doesn't necessarily have to show up for them to get charged.
    Has anyone heard anything similar to this or is it just their tactic to force you into pleading guilty ?????
    thanks
    The OP stated that the cop does not have to be present in court to "get charged" which is true as the charges have already been entered / filed with the court but to get CONVICTED without the key witness / cop is another matter.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    The OP stated that the cop does not have to be present in court to "get charged" which is true as the charges have already been entered / filed with the court but to get CONVICTED without the key witness / cop is another matter.
    Again, on the right line. A Key witness is required. That may or may not be the officer that charged you.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    You have the right to cross examination. I can't see that ever being revoked.
    Just like your right to be presumed innocent until you're found guilty in court?
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Just like your right to be presumed innocent until you're found guilty in court?

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Everybody seems to forget that your constitutional rights are being trampled right in front of ones eyes and joe public just takes it.

I've been in court when people have gotten their cases thrown out because the officer wasn't there.

Sadly, mine was there and I wasn't as lucky Seems if you get dinged in Cottage country, all the cops like to come to court. THe back of the room was full of them!
    Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. - David Brent

I'd get them to put the statement on a chair and then go all hostile witness on it's ***.