My apology to the group today....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My apology to the group today....

My apology to the group today....

Today I participated on a posted group ride with riders and leader that I have never ridden with before. As I have posted frequently, group rides are something I don't do, but I just felt like it today. The riders were of differing abilities, some more experienced than others. ( Not a large group btw, 6 or 7 of us...?)

While en route to our first stop, a couple of small incidences that worried me somewhat as to these various riding abilities but I will give it a go nonetheless.

When the group stopped at the appointed spot after the leader informed the riders that on the next leg of the tour there would be no cops to worry about and that the speed limit would be 25 to 30 over, I believe I heard, and that if there was going to be any sort of traffic stop involving said leader that he was going to run.

It was at this time that I raised my voice and and said in no uncertain terms that it would be lunacy to run from cops. It was my opinion that as " group leader" he should be riding in a safe and appropriate manner, not encouraging others to ride way beyond their abilities and maybe his, as this sort of behavior usually leads to a group mentality thing that prolly will end badly for someone.

So, my apology for my behavior to all who were there as I think you were a bit shocked at my outburst, but I speak my mind, and in no way would I endorse this behavior being encouraged by a group leader.

I hope after I dis-engaged myself from the group that everyone had a good ride, it was a lovely day, perfect for a safe and enjoyable motorcycle ride with friends old and new.

Re: My apology to the group today....

In the future, the proper response is "Sorry guys, the way you intend to do it doesn't appeal to me. Enjoy your ride. Bye." No raised voices, objections or arguing. Let's keep it civil +1 for your apology though
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

On any group ride it is the resonsibility of the individual to decide whether he or she is willing to follow the lead of those infront of them. As the leader of the ride, they should make sure that everyone is safe, you are right, but they also have a plan as to what they are looking for in the ride. Informing those on it that this was going to be the case, those who dodn't want to do so should then go to the back of the pack and "ride their own ride". And once the fast group gets to a safe location then they should wait for the other group to catch up. I wasn't on the ride so I can't say anything as to how it was said and worded, but on any ride that I've been on, the leader informs everyone of what is coming, and then it's up to the individual to decide where in the pack they want to be. I've moved from the front of a pack to the back of the pack cause I don't want to loose my licence. I still had a good ride though.

why are you apologizing??
    what you did was not wrong. if they dont like it they can go on that ride and get jail time for a stupid juvenile mistake like running from police to avoid a simple fine.

WAsn't there a group ride on this forum that involved
    -2 bikers rear ending each other (1 in hospital)
    -1 stopped by police in a physical manner
    -1 biker evaded arrested an ran from police

???

^^ theshnizzle doesn't owe an apology at all.

The group leader wasted thesnizzle's time. In future if group leaders are going to encourage running, or anything that could be a problem for some of the riders, that should be posted up front before people show up.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by B Palanik View Post
    On any group ride it is the resonsibility of the individual to decide whether he or she is willing to follow the lead of those infront of them. As the leader of the ride, they should make sure that everyone is safe, you are right, but they also have a plan as to what they are looking for in the ride. Informing those on it that this was going to be the case, those who dodn't want to do so should then go to the back of the pack and "ride their own ride". And once the fast group gets to a safe location then they should wait for the other group to catch up. I wasn't on the ride so I can't say anything as to how it was said and worded, but on any ride that I've been on, the leader informs everyone of what is coming, and then it's up to the individual to decide where in the pack they want to be. I've moved from the front of a pack to the back of the pack cause I don't want to loose my licence. I still had a good ride though.
    It seemed to me that the leader did not say anything about everyone riding their own ride, I am aware that it is up to the individual in the end,
    but when 3 riders out of 6 or 7 take their leave at the first stop....well I guess we are not on the same page the leader.

Again, let me say that it is up to EACH INDIVIDUAL RIDER, as to how they want to ride, I get it, I like the ride to end with everyone enjoying a coffee and a muffin, all in one peice, with no altercations with law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPoet View Post
    WAsn't there a group ride on this forum that involved
    -2 bikers rear ending each other (1 in hospital)
    -1 stopped by police in a physical manner
    -1 biker evaded arrested an ran from police

???
    That was not a posted group ride at all, only 2 of the riders were riding together, the other riders involved did not know each other, just happened to sharing the same roadspace.

it's a good thing that somebody spoke up no need to apoligize IMO

Banned

The quality of members on this forum abysmal. I'm never planning to hit any group ride for the fact there are so many morons on this site

Grafx, you shouldn't bash everyone because of a few bad apples. I've never been on a group ride where it was suggested that we should run from the 5-0. I already said how I would handle this situation or any situation that I'm not comfortable with. We're all big boys/girls and we don't need for mommy to hold our hands and tell us what's right and what's not. If the rest of the pack wanted to risk their lives and legal consequences, it's up to them.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

I'd rep you up, but I can't

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Grafx, you shouldn't bash everyone because of a few bad apples. I've never been on a group ride where it was suggested that we should run from the 5-0. I already said how I would handle this situation or any situation that I'm not comfortable with. We're all big boys/girls and we don't need for mommy to hold our hands and tell us what's right and what's not. If the rest of the pack wanted to risk their lives and legal consequences, it's up to them.

Judging by the past week on this forum, the group rides, literally every single one has something bad happening with stupid people.

Try to discriminate who organizes the rides and who posts about showing up. Eventually you'll get a feel for it. In my case.. I wouldn't run for a 30 over ticket. I'd just beat it in court

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Try to discriminate who organizes the rides and who posts about showing up. Eventually you'll get a feel for it. In my case.. I wouldn't run for a 30 over ticket. I'd just beat it in court

Imma beat you up IRL ho!

Y'all know how I feel about group rides..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by Grafx View Post
    Imma beat you up IRL ho!
    Lol.. And I'm calling my law firm immediately.. They got a few ambulance chasers on staff

Quote Originally Posted by Grafx View Post
    The quality of members on this forum abysmal. I'm never planning to hit any group ride for the fact there are so many morons on this site
    No, I have met and ridden with many great people that I have met on this site,Thank you GTAM, maybe it's totally none of my business how poeple want to ride on a group ride, I can just ditch if I like, but I know how people can be sucked into a group mentality thing and before you know it you are in way over your head....

The poster of the ride was a nice guy btw, but I think a perhaps he is not quite sure of the appropriate things to say on a group ride. Also, I don't believe I heard him actually encouraging others to run from the cops if the situation arose,but follow back to my group mentality thing...

theshnizzle, were you the girl on the Hayabusa ?. Was great to meet you even if it was for a short time. I was on the Red and Black R6. Was fun to ride with you and, well not gonna use her ID in case she doesn't wanna be known in this thread lol. Shame you didn't finish it, was a really good ride. I see your point of view though. I just took it easy, and I found for the most part we all did. It is easy to fall within that " need to show off " mentality, but as it turned out we had a good leisurely ride !.