How safe is public storage? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How safe is public storage?

Re: How safe is public storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Frank View Post
    A storage unit is much better than a friends garage, you can access your ride anytime without feeling like you are imposing and the potential for incidental damage in far less. Make sure the lock is one of those recessed units that are bolt cutter unfriendly and don't advertise that there is e bike inside.
    Plus a friend might decide you're not friends anymore leaving you scrambling. or worse.
    x

I stored a car and a bike at a mississauga location. Was no problem. They give you a pass code and you can only enter between certain times. Had no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    If you signed up for insurance stating it would be stored on a private dwelling and then store it in a public(ish) accessed place - wouldn't that be misrepresentation?
    When you apply for insurance, you state where the vehicle is primarily garaged so that the insurer can determine your likelihood of being involved in a collision or the likelihood of your vehicle being stolen, vandalized, etc. You state the location of where your vehicle is being stored while it is being used in the riding season. For winter storage, I don't think it really matters where you keep it -- if you live in Toronto but store your bike for the winter in another city, that shouldn't be any problem to the insurer. I wouldn't worry about it. I actually do the same thing myself (i.e. store my bike in a different city than where my insurance policy is based).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)