Reputation? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reputation?

Re: Reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    All reps should be anonymous. Maybe that will help keep the rep trading in check.
    That won't work. The people who are rep for trade will simply PM each other after repping.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Maybe a system where each and every post can only earn you one rep point total and is determined as an average of all members that provide feedback. That combined with a max reps per day/week/month should do the trick.
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    If someone offers more insight that idiocy, I doubt they will ever get to the point where they are at negative rep.
    Hey this country was built on idiocy by some high class idiots....

no wait.. that was america. Long live bush!

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I certainly didn't care for the previous version of "Reputation".

MY IDEA: Every forum member has a limited amount of reputation points that they may allocate to other members (to give as well as take them back), is independent of specific posts, and there would be no limit to how many points you can give to each member other than your personal cap. Ideally everyone would be able to see where a member's rep points came from to avoid falsification. How else is a guy like John Bickle, for example, expected to rack up rep points? ... maybe then, people wouldn't be so quick to hand them out, and there would be some form of scaling involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The rep system wasn't working..it was meant to HELP people figure out WHO makes legitimate, informative, helpful posts.

When I look at who has positive reps and their posts...it's obvious it's only used as a game.

If I can tweak it so it's more difficult to give reps...then I'll reinstate it.
    Are you familiar with Daily kos?
    I don't post there, but one of the other forums I inhabit went round and round about how to (or even if) use rep.

The DailyKos model is something like this:

There are 'trusted users'. Presumably, these would start out being hand selected by the site admins. These are the only users with any rep power. As others get rep from them, or lose rep, they become or lose their 'trusted user' status.

The trick is picking the initial group who won't abuse it.

You could trial that here (assuming you still want that functionality). I don't know how high you would have to set the threshold to become a trusted user, and it may require tweaking, which would probably involve a lot of resetting of the rep and adjusting the rep power/rep point scale. This isn't the first board I've been at where it basically turned into a game.

Ideally, if you start with the right people, it would be self policing. Maybe initially only have the mods and admins with rep power or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    I don't post there, but one of the other forums I inhabit went round and round about how to (or even if) use rep.

There are 'trusted users'. Presumably, these would start out being hand selected by the site admins. These are the only users with any rep power. As others get rep from them, or lose rep, they become or lose their 'trusted user' status.

You could trial that here (assuming you still want that functionality). I don't know how high you would have to set the threshold to become a trusted user, and it may require tweaking, which would probably involve a lot of resetting of the rep and adjusting the rep power/rep point scale. This isn't the first board I've been at where it basically turned into a game.

Ideally, if you start with the right people, it would be self policing. Maybe initially only have the mods and admins with rep power or something?
    By the "right" people you mean the few people that are close to the admins? cause they are not necessarily the "right" people all the time, or the ones that give the best advice, or the ones that would be fair in administrating their rep, or the ones that have the best knowledge, or the funny ones. In some cases they are like Animal and CBR John.

I don't see as per example the Yetti getting any rep points ever from anyone close to the admins (we all have seen the fights) I don't know the guy but I do consider his posts Funny and sometimes informative.

Just my two cents since I am killing some time at work
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    By the "right" people you mean the few people that are close to the admins? cause they are not necessarily the "right" people all the time, or the ones that give the best advice, or the ones that would be fair in administrating their rep, or the ones that have the best knowledge, or the funny ones. In some cases they are like Animal and CBR John.

I don't see as per example the Yetti getting any rep points ever from anyone close to the admins (we all have seen the fights) I don't know the guy but I do consider his posts Funny and sometimes informative.

I'm sure the mods and other staff want more work giving out rep.
    x

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

yes it is not as if we do not have a life
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post

The problem with dailykos, is that even the trusted users are nutbars of the highest order! Reputation based on the decision making of the top head-cases is hardly a basis to form personal reputation upon!

so says a reader of a polar-opposite website to DailyKOS .. Littlegreenfootballs
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post

You've angered the Yetti!
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=99224

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    The problem with dailykos, is that even the trusted users are nutbars of the highest order! Reputation based on the decision making of the top head-cases is hardly a basis to form personal reputation upon!

so says a reader of a polar-opposite website to DailyKOS .. Littlegreenfootballs
    +1
    We don't want this to turn into ehealth.... where contracts, awards, money is given out arbitrarily on the basis of 'I'm the top dog.'