reporting an accident

Thread: reporting an accident

reporting an accident

What is the penalty for not reporting an accident within 24 hours of it happening. Say you are waiting for the other person to get an estimate as you both agreed to settle outside of insurance.

Re: reporting an accident

You could try the defence of "I thought the damage was under the mandatory reporting amount"

well, i am waiting for a settlement, and the person SEEMS trustworthy, but I've heard of enough people getting screwed.

Say they reported it already without telling me, does it make a difference?

Or say we decide to go through insurance after all, and I report it in a week, is that ok?

If you are the one on the receiving end, it is in your interest to report the collision no matter the circumstances, even if you opt to settle up without going through insurance. This way, if the other person falls through on their end or weasels out and doesn't pay, you can proceed to go through insurance with the police report in hand.

If you are the one paying because you are responsible, it is in your interest to get it sorted out within 24 hours and get the other party to give you a receipt indicating that you have paid. I would still suggest reporting it and telling them at the reporting center that you plan to settle without going through insurance. If you don't report it, and the other party later claims that "their neck hurts", or that there was damage beyond what was originally quoted, you could be in a heap of trouble without being able to produce a police report that says "no injuries".

Quote Originally Posted by cbr_rr View Post
    What is the penalty for not reporting an accident within 24 hours of it happening. Say you are waiting for the other person to get an estimate as you both agreed to settle outside of insurance.
    Are you sure it's 24? I thought it was 72... (Although it's entirely possible I'm wrong, does anyone know for sure?).
    If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face - Rage Against The Machine