Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest - Page 3

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest

Re: Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosSantiago View Post
    True...

in the meantime, let's just read the report on the Globe & Mail...

"The cyclist fell off the car when he struck the mailbox, and collapsed in a heap of blood on the sidewalk in front of Sephora. The driver kept going, hanging a right at Avenue Road.

The injured man, meanwhile, was bleeding from his mouth and ears, and from several gashes across his face. Paramedics rushed him to hospital without vital signs just before 10 p.m., and he was pronounced dead just after 11 p.m., Toronto police Traffic Services Sergeant Tim Burrows said. "

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/michael-bryant-in-police-custody/article1271489/

Yes, he sounds like an innocent man...
    What was the cyclist trying to accomplish by holding on to the cars headrest?

Looks like the road rage was coming from both sides here.......the cyclist was at a disadvantage and he paid the price.

On top of the death of the cyclist, the driver should also be charged for endangering the lives of other bystanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    .. (a long) time will tell what his high powered Lawyers will do to weasel him out of this.
    Exactly. In seven or eight years (when nobody gives a crap anymore...) we'll find out that it got reduced to a failure to yield complete with a 90 dollar fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Not so cut and dried if it comes out that the cyclist was attempting to assault him though, is it? Being confined in a vehicle during such an encounter gives you few options. We need more information. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that the laws he was in part the architect of don't give us. How else do we prove that we are better people?

He only stopped 50 metres down the road, according to police reports. Think about how short a distance that is.
    Fair enough. The report I read is that he continued on down Bloor, then made a right turn onto Avenue Road and disappeared around the corner. I've now read that his car was later found in the parking lot of the Hyatt Hotel, which was only metres away. I guess I can start thinking of an innocent chain of events that leads there....

I've also read that there were several 911 calls, one of which came from the driver of the car. Interesting.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Yes, really. All that they currently seem to have reports of, are how the incident progressed. How the incident began will determine what, if any charges will be paid. Note that he is still being held and police are still actively seeking witnesses.
    From the witness accounts, the man was likely not seriously hurt when he decided to lunge at the car. Hence it was Bryan'ts further actions veering onto the opposite side of the road and trying to remove the cyclist by driving into obstacles that resulted in the cyclist's fatal head injuries.

"How the incident began will determine what, if any charges are paid." As a result of his actions, intentionally or unintentionally, a person is dead. I'm not sure that his motivation for the act is really that important at this stage.

And it is interesting to note that Bryant hasn't said anything to the police. If the cyclist were threatening him or if he had some reason to believe his life was in danger, then why wouldn't he release this information???

Don't know if hit and run was his first response, but I think the article mentioned he stopped at the Hyatt to call 911.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Quote Originally Posted by sarafotoxin View Post
    And it is interesting to note that Bryant hasn't said anything to the police. If the cyclist were threatening him or if he had some reason to believe his life was in danger, then why wouldn't he release this information???
    Same reason he called 911- the guy knows the law and is probably pretty clever. He's gonna keep his trap shut and let his lawyers do the talking. You know, the same advice everyone gives on these boards to riders dealing with the police.

Froghammer - Bingo.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    Fair enough. The report I read is that he continued on down Bloor, then made a right turn onto Avenue Road and disappeared around the corner. I've now read that his car was later found in the parking lot of the Hyatt Hotel, which was only metres away. I guess I can start thinking of an innocent chain of events that leads there....

I've also read that there were several 911 calls, one of which came from the driver of the car. Interesting.

--- D
    I suppose the bottom line is going to be, can he convince the police or a jury that he genuinely feared for his life or of bodily harm. He's entitled to defend himself if assaulted. Perhaps this was the best way he could think of to defend himself. I think him driving some distance and calling police immediately was a smart thing to do, legally. He can say he didn't want to stick around because he was afraid for his life. And he called police immediately..wonder what the 911 call said? Probably something like "a crazy cyclist attacked me and I drove away and he was clinging onto my car and wouldn't let go and he kept attacking me.." I would say that's very convincing evidence for his side.

And as far as him being a boxer..what would you say if he punched the guy and killed him? His boxing record would be far more harmful to him in that situation quite frankly.

Plenty of stupidity to go around here quite frankly..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Froghammer - Bingo.
    Yup. First words out of everyone's mouth.."I was just speeding and got caught. How do I beat this??"
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    Same reason he called 911- the guy knows the law and is probably pretty clever. He's gonna keep his trap shut and let his lawyers do the talking. You know, the same advice everyone gives on these boards to riders dealing with the police.
    True ... because the lawyer will find a way of spinning the story in his client's interests. Nonetheless, if there was important information that could work to his advantage and could be confirmed by eyewitness accounts, then there wouldn't be any good reason to withhold it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Yup. First words out of everyone's mouth.."I was just speeding and got caught. How do I beat this??"
    I was just driving in the oncoming lanes with a cyclist attached to my car bashing him on roadside obstacles, and got caught. How do I beat this?

--- D

True ... because the lawyer will find a way of spinning the story in his client's interests. Nonetheless, if there was important information that could work to his advantage and could be confirmed by eyewitness accounts, then there wouldn't be any good reason to withhold it.
    You're approaching this like a normal person with nothing to hide, not someone who's in police custody for having just killed a cyclist.

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    You're approaching this like a normal person with nothing to hide, not someone who's in police custody for having just killed a cyclist.
    Exactly .... which was my point. That he has something to hide and that he knows he is in deep ****.

Exactly .... which was my point. That he has something to hide and that he knows he is in deep ****.
    He's doing exactly what is his (and all of our) right - after being charged with something let your lawyer do the talking.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post

And as far as him being a boxer..what would you say if he punched the guy and killed him? His boxing record would be far more harmful to him in that situation quite frankly.

Plenty of stupidity to go around here quite frankly..
    well....speaking personally...if some angry cyclist jumped on my car....I'd be on the binders asafp and outta the car....and I'd be letting him know he'd be paying for damaging my property....whether that involved words, swings or both......what I wouldn't be doing is mashing the gas while he clung to the side of the car, or aiming at obstacles to knock him off

but who am I....just some regular shmoe....not the former AG

I can see what will be said to get off of this:
    1. Cyclist lunges at car and attacks driver.
    2. Cyclist seeks more grip to car, grabs top of steering wheel.
    3. Since he's danging from the side, all weight is put on the steering wheel. Car veers left.
    4. Driver attempts to maintain control but can't since the cyclist has their full weight pulling down on the wheel. Driver is in a state of shock
    5. Rest is in the news.

Maybe he won't have such as easy time after all...

Bryant legalized paralegals, fixed election dates, banned pit bulls, overhauled the human rights system, re-created the Law Reform Commission, re-established civilian oversight of police and depoliticized Justice of the Peace appointments.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    He's doing exactly what is his (and all of our) right - after being charged with something let your lawyer do the talking.
    Oh my ... all I was trying to say was that if the cyclist pulled out a weapon, let's say he had a gun or a knife (b/c I believe someone brought up the possibility the cyclist was armed), then why wouldn't he tell police that?? In most situations the best advice it keep one's mouth shut, unless there is strong verifiable evidence to support your cause.

He's probably going to spin it to make it seem like he was the victim or a version of "temporary insanity" because he thought his life was in danger and wasn't thinking clearly blinded by adrenaline.

But someone else made a good point ... he's certainly lucky that he didn't hit anybody else when he decided to cross the road and mount the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Globe and Mail
    ...“I heard the tires screech,” said Ryan Brazeau, another worker. “He (the cyclist) was right literally at the front windshield, almost holding on to the driver.”...
    If this witness statement is true, then the driver was trapped with nowhere to go. He's in a convertible. There were few options left. The driver is also human. We all have a fight or flee reflex. I guess this is a bit of both.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1271489/

just read that there is very little to no evidence that the driver tried to brush the rider off. it might have just appeared that way to eye witnesses. what a joke. this guy will walk. no charges will be laid and the full blame will be put on the cyclist.

But someone else made a good point ... he's certainly lucky that he didn't hit anybody else when he decided to cross the road and mount the sidewalk.
    It'll be interesting to find out if only his hands were on the steering wheel or if the cyclist had a grip on it as well...