Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest - Page 2

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest

Re: Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    No matter what happened with the cyclist how Mr Bryant handled it is criminal and should be held accountable.

The scary thing is that us 'regular' people wouldn't get this type of protection and tact from police.
    Actually they are behaving pretty much as they do in any other, similar circumstance. They aren't releasing the name of the person in custody until a charge is laid, which is fairly common practise. No charge has yet been laid, because the investigation is continuing. They are looking for any and all witnesses possible.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Wow

No matter who was right or wrong, no matter who had right of way, the cyclist should have let go, if this was an option. Hanging on and getting killed is so not worth the point. As my Dad says, he is now "dead right".

We all have our right of way violated on a very regular basis (for me, almost every ride). If you don't, come to Scarborough and I have some to share with you. There's plenty to go around. We yield right of way because it's better to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Actually they are behaving pretty much as they do in any other, similar circumstance. They aren't releasing the name of the person in custody until a charge is laid, which is fairly common practise. No charge has yet been laid, because the investigation is continuing. They are looking for any and all witnesses possible.
    Really? The average citizen would have had charges laid already. The overwhelming witness accounts justify charges yet what is the hold up?

Really? The average citizen would have had charges laid already. The overwhelming witness accounts justify charges yet what is the hold up?
    Yes, really. All that they currently seem to have reports of, are how the incident progressed. How the incident began will determine what, if any charges will be paid. Note that he is still being held and police are still actively seeking witnesses.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

It's a bit ironic that one of the architects of Ontario's "stunting" laws(Also, the interesting changes to the Civil remedy act. If IIRC) was caught trying to kill a bicyclist in downtown Toronto with a car.

I remember how he defended the legality of HTA 172 on CTV.

Please people, we should not do what the police and others do: convict him before a trial. He's innocent until proven guilty.

We know absolutely nothing in regards to this incident. Lots of hypothesizing.

Perhaps the cyclist tried to jump into the car and put a beating on the driver after the bike/car crash. The driver could have been afraid for his life and just trying to get the cyclist off of the car. Who knows????

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    true

according to witnesses.....after the cyclist started hanging on to the driver's side of the car....Bryant (going westbound on Bloor) veered over to the eastbound lanes....mounted the curb with the driver's side wheels and basically drove the driver's side of the car into obstacles to knock the guy off the car....and ended up not just knocking him off...but drove the rear wheels over him too

now....regardless of what started the rage-fest.....Mr. Bryant's alleged behavior there is sure to result in criminal charges
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    Please people, we should not do what the police and others do: convict him before a trial. He's innocent until proven guilty.
    True...

in the meantime, let's just read the report on the Globe & Mail...

"The cyclist fell off the car when he struck the mailbox, and collapsed in a heap of blood on the sidewalk in front of Sephora. The driver kept going, hanging a right at Avenue Road.

The injured man, meanwhile, was bleeding from his mouth and ears, and from several gashes across his face. Paramedics rushed him to hospital without vital signs just before 10 p.m., and he was pronounced dead just after 11 p.m., Toronto police Traffic Services Sergeant Tim Burrows said. "

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/michael-bryant-in-police-custody/article1271489/

Yes, he sounds like an innocent man...
    Security transcends technology

Yes, really. All that they currently seem to have reports of, are how the incident progressed. How the incident began will determine what, if any charges will be paid. Note that he is still being held and police are still actively seeking witnesses.
    Regardless of how it started veering accross lanes to try and wipe someone off your car using solid objects is charge worthy at the very least. From the accounts of eye witnesses fleeing the scene and vehicular manslaughter is a no brainer. Wouldn't most people be charged and then the charges upgraded as evidence came about?

interestingly enough I am voting in the St Paul riding for his replacement this month.

From his wiki page(if you beleive wiki) it seems that he is an avid cyclist. Even said the setup a cyclist activist group

CBR 600RR, FZR 600(gone), Banshee 350(sold), Formula 1 Sidecar (Passenger)

If he was afraid for his life, he could have stopped the car and jumped out the passenger side. Sounds like Bryant was trying to teach someone a lesson. Another theory the cyclist may have grabbed the wheel and been pulling it. Again, stop the car jump out.

RIP cyclist. I'm sure they were both guilty of being stupid, cyclist may have kicked the car or something inciting the driver. This does not condone killing him though. Cyclists can be annoying when they break laws and think they own the road. I'm sure I may here it from some cyclists who follow all the rules, but there are more than a few bad apples in your group.

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    We know absolutely nothing in regards to this incident. Lots of hypothesizing.

Perhaps the cyclist tried to jump into the car and put a beating on the driver after the bike/car crash. The driver could have been afraid for his life and just trying to get the cyclist off of the car. Who knows????
    yep....lot's of speculating

but a few facts,

1) there's a dead cyclist
    2) witnesses are reported saying that the car sped away and seemed to drive towards obstacles to knock the cyclist off the car
    3) the alleged driver is a former Attorney General, who would/should apparently realize that stopping the car in such a circumstance would be the appropriate action
    4) Bryant is apparently an accomplished Boxer....so not too sure how afraid for his life he would be versus an angry cyclist

you won't find me shedding one tear for this ******-bag, and I hope they charge him with Manslaughter

this is the same ball-busting politician who used everything in his power to tell everyone he was getting tough of crime....even when it meant trashing our due-process so he could look tough in front of the cameras

well alrighty then.....it looks like he may have had a quick but serious lapse in judgement....so....let's follow his lead as AG and get real tough on crime now

Thumbs up Re: Former AG Michael Bryant - of academic interest

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    yep....lot's of speculating

but a few facts,

1) there's a dead cyclist
    2) witnesses are reported saying that the car sped away and seemed to drive towards obstacles to knock the cyclist off the car
    3) the alleged driver is a former Attorney General, who would/should apparently realize that stopping the car in such a circumstance would be the appropriate action
    4) Bryant is apparently an accomplished Boxer....so not too sure how afraid for his life he would be versus an angry cyclist
    Well said.
    Now in the EAST....

I've tried to think of alternate scenarios that might have caused this. Maybe the cyclist started punching the driver. Maybe the cyclist was armed and threatening? I suppose there are potential reasons why a guy would try to get a crazy violent cyclist off his car.

For me the part I can't imagine an answer to is: why did he leave the scene of the accident, drive off, turn and go around a corner? Why not stop a safe distance up the road once the guy is off the car? Even if you feel threatened, certainly you can stop safely and remain at the scene?

It'll be interesting to hear the story, but the fail-to-remain part of the story is the most damning, to me.

I've always thought this guy looks angry. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's a road-rager.

--- D

Regardless of how it started veering accross lanes to try and wipe someone off your car using solid objects is charge worthy at the very least. From the accounts of eye witnesses fleeing the scene and vehicular manslaughter is a no brainer. Wouldn't most people be charged and then the charges upgraded as evidence came about?

interestingly enough I am voting in the St Paul riding for his replacement this month.
    Not so cut and dried if it comes out that the cyclist was attempting to assault him though, is it? Being confined in a vehicle during such an encounter gives you few options. We need more information. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that the laws he was in part the architect of don't give us. How else do we prove that we are better people?

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I've tried to think of alternate scenarios that might have caused this. Maybe the cyclist started punching the driver. Maybe the cyclist was armed and threatening? I suppose there are potential reasons why a guy would try to get a crazy violent cyclist off his car.

For me the part I can't imagine an answer to is: why did he leave the scene of the accident, drive off, turn and go around a corner? Why not stop a safe distance up the road once the guy is off the car? Even if you feel threatened, certainly you can stop safely and remain at the scene?

It'll be interesting to hear the story, but the fail-to-remain part of the story is the most damning, to me.

I've always thought this guy looks angry. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's a road-rager.

--- D
    He only stopped 50 metres down the road, according to police reports. Think about how short a distance that is.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 09-01-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: can't type worth crap

Early reports this morning state that former Attorney General Michael "We Will Crush Your Car" Bryant has been arrested in an incident in which a bicyclist was killed, early this morning, on Bloor St. Unconfirmed reports are stating that some sort of altercation took place between Bryant (who was driving a black Saab) and the cyclist. The cyclist was taken to hospital with life threatening injuries, then later died.
    when will people learn that politics is all ********

Ontario's former attorney general Michael Bryant is facing two charges after a fatal hit-and-run in Toronto's Yorkville neighbourhood Monday night.
    Mr. Bryant will be charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous driving causing death, a police source tells the Globe, after a collision left a 33-year-old cyclist dead.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1271489/

Now lets see if the two-tier justice system holds true .. one consequence for those with influence, another for the rest of us.. (a long) time will tell what his high powered Lawyers will do to weasel him out of this.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

RIP cyclist. Based on the known facts, Mr. Bryant doesn't seem very clean in this incident. I hope he gets nailed to the cross for whatever laws he broke.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!

On to the next case.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.