Manitoulin Island! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manitoulin Island!

Re: Manitoulin Island!

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    I have heard mixed stories about the ferry tie downs, so I will have my own tie-downs for the ferry. I'll call tonight to book a spot - hope I'm not out of luck.
    Honestly, when we were on the ferry, we didn't even need the tie downs, but used them anyway....

bringing your own is overkill IMO. Just leave it in first gear, and use the existing ropes, and tie down towards the kickstand side.

I figure it will be busy and we can deal with it, and maybe we'll wake up extra early to see the sights at dawn. I'm looking forward to a run up to Espanola and maybe beyond.
    Beyond... for sure.. make the trip to Aubrey falls... you won't regret it.

Saw this on the trail at Aubrey falls.
    Last edited by djltoronto; 08-27-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post

Saw this on the trail at Aubrey falls.
    I want to go back up in November to shoot it and eat it.

haha that's awesome. just checked the weather forecast... calling for 12 degrees and rain on Saturday and Sunday in Espanola/Sudbury... it's going to be a chilly, wet ride for the girlfriend coming home...

Then the weather gets back up to 20 by mid week... hmmm maybe a trip to Vermont instead and Manitoulin in 2 weeks?
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Nice pics guys!!

If you guys have more pics of the ferry ride, the island, and any of the attractions PLEASE keep them coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
    If you guys have more pics of the ferry ride, the island, and any of the attractions PLEASE keep them coming!!
    My whole Manitoulin ride album is here.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Cool, going through this now and enjoying the pics!

Yes Aubrey Falls is a fantastic ride, but keep in mind it's about 230km northwest of Espanola one way.

Dont worry to much about the ferry we took several when we were out east I just strapped it around the handle bar and down! they really dont move much at all!

have a great trip!

I've never been and I am going this weekend. I'm riding with my girlfriend (2up) and if anyone has any insights on things to look out for, tip and tricks, it would be much appreciated. I did a search and got a few good tips from some of the ride reports.

As it stands right now, we are planning on leaving Toronto early Friday morning and have to be back by Sunday night. We want to spend 2 nights in Manitoulin and get a chance to explore that area instead of doing a drive to other destinations (ie Killarney). We know that we will take the ferry one direction and drive through Little Current/Espanola the other direction... Not yet sure which one will come first though. Any thoughts on ferry bookings or which to do first?

If you have any experience with good lodgings that would be great. We aren't going to camp so we can travel a bit lighter, but will be going hiking somewhere - hopefully nearby. Anyone been to "the Schoolhouse Restaurant" in Providence Bay - my girlfriend says it's supposed to be a nice dinner out. Thinking about staying one night in that area or at the Tipi place. Any thoughts or experiences?

Round trip should be close to +/-1500km?

Cheers!
    Just sent you a PM re: ride.

I'm heading up with my buddy sunday/monday.. We've done the trip before but took a direct route and were looking into doing something more interesting this time. Any suggestions for good roads? cheap motels? must see locations? thanks!

Y'know, three years running now I've gone up to Manitoulin and still haven't seen a single damn deer.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    Y'know, three years running now I've gone up to Manitoulin and still haven't seen a single damn deer.
    You were cursed by the "Deer Devil" that first time. Back then I thought it must be my deer whistles that kept them in check, but I guess your bike whistles a similar tune . The dissonance between locals warning us about them at every corner and not even seeing one for 500Km or so was really puzzling and still is.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

You were cursed by the "Deer Devil" that first time. Back then I thought it must be my deer whistles that kept them in check, but I guess your bike whistles a similar tune . The dissonance between locals warning us about them at every corner and not even seeing one for 500Km or so was really puzzling and still is.
    Was up there in June and saw a few on the way to Espanola. Was even chased by a german sheppard.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    Was up there in June and saw a few on the way to Espanola. Was even chased by a german sheppard.
    I'm really starting to think that some bikes produce sounds that repel some animals and some attract them. Between all sorts of engine noises and the wind whistling through fairings and such there's a lot of possibilities to hit the right note, or the wrong one. I had a dog bark at me on the Bandit only once, but horses get spooked big time.

I had a deer run across the road a couple hundred feet in front of me this morning on the stretch of 6 between Espanola and Manitoulin Island. Other than that though, didn't see much.

I have a cottage on the island just south of Manitowaning. The island is loaded with deer. Usually see one or two a season walking across the beach in front of my place. Head out on the 540 or 542 towards Mindemoya, lots of deer running in that area especially around the Bidwell Rd area. Always seem to see one road pizza'd.

I was planing on taking a ride up there this year...maybe next years summer will be hotter! I wanna go scuba diving!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~/\L! G~ View Post
    I was planing on taking a ride up there this year...maybe next years summer will be hotter! I wanna go scuba diving!!
    Yep, Toby ride and dive's are awesome!!! Here's some pic's from this year's.

On the way:

Cottage in Toby:

Ferry to Manitoulin:

On the dive boat:

Diver Seth:

Diver Kim on a wreck:

Kim enters a cave:

Safety stop:

Sitting at the lighthouse:

Funny story also, the dark haired girl in the pic on the dive boat above also rides, and is also a member on this forum, however I didn't know at the time of this trip. She didn't get to ride up this year. I just found out last weekend in Brockville. Oh well, next year gymjunkie!

Quote Originally Posted by Psilyguy View Post
    Funny story also, the dark haired girl in the pic on the dive boat above also rides, and is also a member on this forum, however I didn't know at the time of this trip. She didn't get to ride up this year. I just found out last weekend in Brockville. Oh well, next year gymjunkie!
    awesome, thanks for sharing
    Resident Loudmouth