Manitoulin Island!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manitoulin Island!

Manitoulin Island!

I've never been and I am going this weekend. I'm riding with my girlfriend (2up) and if anyone has any insights on things to look out for, tip and tricks, it would be much appreciated. I did a search and got a few good tips from some of the ride reports.

As it stands right now, we are planning on leaving Toronto early Friday morning and have to be back by Sunday night. We want to spend 2 nights in Manitoulin and get a chance to explore that area instead of doing a drive to other destinations (ie Killarney). We know that we will take the ferry one direction and drive through Little Current/Espanola the other direction... Not yet sure which one will come first though. Any thoughts on ferry bookings or which to do first?

If you have any experience with good lodgings that would be great. We aren't going to camp so we can travel a bit lighter, but will be going hiking somewhere - hopefully nearby. Anyone been to "the Schoolhouse Restaurant" in Providence Bay - my girlfriend says it's supposed to be a nice dinner out. Thinking about staying one night in that area or at the Tipi place. Any thoughts or experiences?

Round trip should be close to +/-1500km?

Cheers!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Re: Manitoulin Island!

Never been, but started looking into this last year...

I thought this place looked like a potential spot.
    http://www.anchorgrill.com/index.html
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Bikes are a little easier to get onto the ferry, but you may still want to reserve it. A few years ago I thought I'd be okay catching the early Saturday ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory on the bike, but when I got there, the morning ferry was fully booked. I did get onto the last ferry of the day on Friday, but I had intended on staying in SB for a night.
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Ask a local for Carter Bay, its Indian owned and not on the map, but its a really nice beach surrounded by sand dunes. On the right day the waves crash in and you can surf, you drive in a long dirt road pay some native guys 10 bucks and you have access to a nice semi private beach(have a fire and bbq they don't mind). Havent been there since I was 19 so weather its still around is a mystery to me, but if it is and a local can point you in the right direction, then its a great day.

I went to Manitoulin many times as a kid seeing how my grandfather retired there and my brother would spend a couple weeks of our summers up there in Manitowaning, Ive been there many times but when I tried to google the spot I can't map it.
    Last edited by adamcbrrr; 08-25-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Carter's Bay is about a 15/20 min ride east of Providence Bay.
    Kagawon to the North of the Island is home to Bridal Veil Falls, very scenic.
    Trip to the Island isn't complete without a stop in Little Current, see the swinging bridge, and have a delicious Farquar's Ice Cream.

I just went to Tobermory this past weekend. It's nice quite place. I wish I had my bike there but I know I would've gotten a ticket if I rode there. Highway 10 and 6 where completely empty and I was doing 140km/h all the way from Brampton and it took 2 hrs and 52mins! I didn't get to go accross on the ferry but there where a ton of bikers there. I was really cold up there though. Watch out for Deer and other stuff crossing the road, I didn't see the warnings going up because I left at 5am and there was pure fog in the morning. When I was coming back it took 3hrs and 45mins and I saw all the warning signs.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

- Watch for deer, they are everywhere.
    - Island on a lake on an island on a lake is here.
    - Bridal Veil falls
    - Nice beach in Providence Bay
    - Buy some hawberry jelly, it's a local specialty

Some very nice scenery all over the island, mostly by the shore. Very little traffic. Most roads are not very exciting or twisty except for the part from Little Current to Espanola, don't miss that one. Enjoy!
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Was just in Manitoulin the first week of August.

If you want a nice dinner go to Michael's Bay Restaurant or Garden's Gate Restaurant. They are both very nice and the food is yummy.

Bridal Veil Falls is nice, but too commercialized. You can't even enjoy the beauty of it because there are so many people there. We stayed there for about 10 minutes and then left and rented a canoe from across the street (very cheap). That was fun and peaceful.

If you're into hiking....

Cup & Saucer Trail
    - Gorgeous Views (ontop of cliffs)
    - If you feel adventurous, do the adventure trail (red trail), but make sure you have proper shoes because there are some pretty tough parts to it. It's a short trail but takes a long time and it's not an easy trail.
    - Go on a dry day, we went the day after a big rain and it was a bit slippery

M'Chigeeng Trail
    - Nice views
    - Bear caves
    - Crazy stairs (tread carefully)

Misery Bay
    - Nice, relaxing hike
    - Walk the extra couple of km's and visit the shelter. Make sure you write a comment in the book(s)

Bridal Veil falls is great on a weekday. We were there on a Wednesday back in June.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    Bridal Veil falls is great on a weekday. We were there on a Wednesday back in June.
    We thought the same thing....we went on a Wednesday or Thursday and it was jam packed!!! I think anytime in July or August you're pretty much going to have a crowd.

Go a little farther to Aubrey falls....

No commercialization there... and it's FAR more impressive.
    http://www.start.ca/users/mharris/wa...rey-falls.html

Last edited by djltoronto; 08-26-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Pass by this guy for Venison sausage, he used to ride too. He will give u all kind of stories when he used to ride in the 80's

I think this is the only cave on the island, u could pay it a visit

This 2 pics show the hike around Bridal veil falls, nothing special but its a hike

McLean lookout

Cup and saucer

Resident Loudmouth

Providence beach or whatever its called. Too lazy to look it up

We stayed at Northernaire Lodge, we had pre-booked for $80/person I think. You could get cheap lodging if u are adventurous and just popped in. We had stayed at someone's cottage near bridal veil falls. It was $40/person I think. Just ask the guy at the Esso station there he should be able to tell u. They all know each other around there
    Resident Loudmouth

Aubrey Falls is nice, just don't jump.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    Aubrey Falls is nice, just don't jump.

hmmm, how did i miss that one? I thought I combed the whole island
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    hmmm, how did i miss that one? I thought I combed the whole island

It's north of the island.. on US129 tail of the... no wait... it's on HWY#129, not to be confused with US129 lol.

you can find it on this thingy.... http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=248471
    Last edited by djltoronto; 08-26-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    I've never been and I am going this weekend. I'm riding with my girlfriend (2up) and if anyone has any insights on things to look out for, tip and tricks, it would be much appreciated. I did a search and got a few good tips from some of the ride reports.

As it stands right now, we are planning on leaving Toronto early Friday morning and have to be back by Sunday night. We want to spend 2 nights in Manitoulin and get a chance to explore that area instead of doing a drive to other destinations (ie Killarney). We know that we will take the ferry one direction and drive through Little Current/Espanola the other direction... Not yet sure which one will come first though. Any thoughts on ferry bookings or which to do first?

If you have any experience with good lodgings that would be great. We aren't going to camp so we can travel a bit lighter, but will be going hiking somewhere - hopefully nearby. Anyone been to "the Schoolhouse Restaurant" in Providence Bay - my girlfriend says it's supposed to be a nice dinner out. Thinking about staying one night in that area or at the Tipi place. Any thoughts or experiences?

Round trip should be close to +/-1500km?

Cheers!

There is lodgings called the Huron motor lodge (www.manitoulin.com/hml)as soon as you get off the ferry but phone first. Also there is a restaurant just up the road called Carol and Earls. They have the most awesome home cooked meals and they serve you lots. Get a map and check out Bridal Veil Falls. It's not far. And of coarse the run up the highway to Espanola is a pleasure to run.
    Last edited by The Last Boyscout; 08-26-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the input and photos from everyone.
    I'm looking forward to bridal veil falls and will try to check out Aubrey falls. I have heard mixed stories about the ferry tie downs, so I will have my own tie-downs for the ferry. I'll call tonight to book a spot - hope I'm not out of luck.
    As for accommodations, we plan to spend 2 nights on the island - hopefully some smaller out-of-the-way places like small b&b's or motels...

I figure it will be busy and we can deal with it, and maybe we'll wake up extra early to see the sights at dawn. I'm looking forward to a run up to Espanola and maybe beyond.

We totally plan on doing some hiking and am really looking forward to it.

Cheers!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    I have heard mixed stories about the ferry tie downs, so I will have my own tie-downs for the ferry.
    Good idea. All you will get on the ferry is some old fashioned rope. I'd rather rely on something more secure if the ride gets bumpy, and it can get quite rough out there.

Have a nice trip!
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    It's north of the island.. on US129 tail of the... no wait... it's on HWY#129, not to be confused with US129 lol.

you can find it on this thingy.... http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=248471
    Sorry, could not locate on that thingy. Maybe next time I will just ask the locals

edit: found it! I thought it was on the Island. Its actually on the mainland
    Last edited by RockerGuy; 08-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Resident Loudmouth