regarding the Fallen Riders section

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regarding the Fallen Riders section

regarding the Fallen Riders section

Last year I had a suggestion that it would be a considerate courtesy for posters to remove their signatures when they post their well wishes or condolences, prior to posting, and it seems to be received with general like-mindedness.

Well this year I have another suggestion that I think could make this section (or create a separate but related section or possibly a Sticky even) that could make the best of a bad situation.

In this example here (and it is only one of many): http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=96551

post #5 is really good info right from the horse's mouth you might say. In that post we have the actual rider who has been able to inform others of a hazard they might never learn of themselves, until they too have a crash there. There are many other instances in other Fallen Rider threads, whereby a small bit of info is revealed about a bad section of road, or poorly designed streetlight area, or any number of other hazards that can be unique to potential problem areas. This info sometimes comes from the rider involved (if we are lucky) or often from another poster who knows the area and can post a heads-up.

Now, as we all know, that thread is fairly heavily moderated in keeping a fairly tight rein on how relaxed the rules are at any given time. Often really good info gets stifled.

So my suggestion this year is:

To create a section that posters of Fallen Riders, can discuss or inform "what went wrong". The assumed protocol would be to link to a specific thread, if you think you can offer a heads-up or help another (sometimes less experienced) rider so that they can hopefully know what might have gone wrong. Using the example above, a poster could simply say: Regarding Fallen Riders thread such and such, see link http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=96551
    and then offer your advice or input. In this case, inform of a stop sign that is hard to see and tell them where to look for the "stop up ahead" sign. Or whatever.

Re: regarding the Fallen Riders section

The purpose of the "fallen riders" section is to share information about riders who have been in accidents, or worse yet, passed away. It's for "condolences and well wishes only". Posters are more than welcome to discuss dangerous situations in the general section.

The reason why that section is heavily moderated is to remove all such debates (which often resort to pointing fingers and laying blame) from threads that are often already painful to those who knew the people involved.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    The purpose of the "fallen riders" section is to share information about riders who have been in accidents, or worse yet, passed away. It's for "condolences and well wishes only". Posters are more than welcome to discuss dangerous situations in the general section.

The reason why that section is heavily moderated is to remove all such debates (which often resort to pointing fingers and laying blame) from threads that are often already painful to those who knew the people involved.
    then send those to romper room!

I tried my best to be quite clear in explaining my idea.
    So your "threads that are often already painful to those who knew the people involved" is not applicable, because the suggestions I'm talking about
    would not be IN the Fallen Riders best wishes/condolences thread! They would be in their own section. The links would be TO Fallen Riders, not FROM there. And there doesn't even have to be links.
    My point I thought would be quite clear...had I not read post 5 I still wouldn't have known about that stop sign. Doesn't it make sense to have those tips all in one place? Where members can go to on a regular basis to see if there are any new hazards? No one is going to dig pages and pages deep to see IF someone has just happened to post a hazard in Gen Discussion.

As for saying that you got it covered in Gen Discussion, no way can I agree with you there.
    It is huge and helpful posts get BURIED! Fast. What I suggested is a section that pertains only to helpful hazard notices. And would be seen and updated by new info as they present themselves. All in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpit View Post
    I tried my best to be quite clear in explaining my idea.
    So your "threads that are often already painful to those who knew the people involved" is not applicable, [...]
    You didn't read what I wrote.

My point I thought would be quite clear...
    But it's not.

So what is it exactly that you want? A section with changing road conditions? Such as "road work on hwy xyz"? Or permanent problems, like "badly designed intersection streets zyx and xyz"? Both?

But it's not.

So what is it exactly that you want? A section with changing road conditions?
    Such as "road work on hwy xyz"?
    Or permanent problems, like "badly designed intersection streets zyx and xyz"? Both?
    Did I say that? No, and....
    No again.

"Or permanent problems, like "badly designed intersection streets"

Yup, that I was basically saying. That is pretty obvious I thought with what I said here: "whereby a small bit of info is revealed about a bad section of road, or poorly designed streetlight area, or any number of other hazards that can be unique to potential problem areas."

Anyway I'm not looking for an argument here. It is a good idea and if you (respectfully enough as a mod) don't think so, well I can't help that. But I had hoped for, and assumed, more optimism.

Why not let a few posters see this and get some public opinion?

Hey, I think a "Road-hazards & Road-construction" section would be a great idea!

Thumpit is right, the General section is more for newbie-type questions and general silliness, (ie. -is it okay to double someone of the same gender? -I can't touch both feet on the ground at stop-signs, -don't you hate sneezing in your helmet? etc...etc...)

That is pretty obvious I thought [...]
    In your first post you wrote a page of text out of which it was hard to fish out the real content. I replied to you in response to your statement that the "fallen riders" section is heavily moderated. Not only did you not quite understand it (which is not really a big deal), but then you go on and on about how you thought that what you wrote was obvious.

You may think you write clearly, but you are far from that. I asked you for clarification, but you get worked up about it. Whether it's a good idea or bad, you are not making it easy to work with you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFZ View Post
    Hey, I think a "Road-hazards & Road-construction" section would be a great idea!
    I think that a section with "dangerous sections", such as badly designed intersections could be useful. Non-permanent road conditions are hard to keep up to date, but I wouldn't oppose since some constructions can take forever to complete.

I think that a section with "dangerous sections", such as badly designed intersections could be useful. Non-permanent road conditions are hard to keep up to date, but I wouldn't oppose since some constructions can take forever to complete.
    There are no such thing as dangerous roads, simply riders riding above there ability. Any road can kill, what are you gonna do say every road with gravel is bad, there's nothing wrong with gravel or sand mid-corner, that's just the way the road is so ride accordingly. Sometimes people have to take there crashes on the chin and learn from them, stop blaming the roads...

If there are actual safety issues then be proactive take it up with the municipality or township instead of bitching here.

Just my point of view.
    SOAR Novice #113

It's not a bad idea, IMO. I've seen the odd post but they are just random threads on here any given day. For example when the forks were closed and another time, a roadway had flooded (or something of that sort...). So why not have a specific spot to check up on road updates/closures/hazards?

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Probably better in the riding roads section.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    Probably better in the riding roads section.
    +1. I agree.

As an addendum: IMO, threads where a rider was not SERIOUSLY hurt should be moved out of Fallen Riders. That section should not be for riders who just "fell over".
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Is it possible to just post about Fallen Riders from this Province or at the least country.
    Don't take life too seriously ... nobody gets out alive anyway

First....we really shouldn't HAVE to move threads to the Romper Room from Fallen riders. If people can't read simple instructions that are posted under forum name then they have chosen to let the mods decide whether the post gets moved or deleted.

Second....If you really NEED to discuss what the rider did wrong (although disrespectful if started by anyone other than the fallen rider)...then it should be posted in General Motorcycle Discussion.

Third....Riding Roads is the forum you want to warn others of Riding Road hazards.

Fouth....DaveP is right...there are dangers on EVERY road!

Fifth....General Discussion does need a cleaning. Many threads will be moved to Romper Room. I try to see if there is any learning value in a thread...if not..then Romper Room it goes whether it is motorcycle related or not. (I'll start that pruning today)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

part of the problem (if in fact there is a problem) is when a thread gets moved into the fallen riders section when it wasn't posted there in the first place. I believe the thread posted in the example was one that was posted in general first, and then moved to fallen riders.

Discussions can start, and then cannot be finished without moderation in these scenarios.
    Last edited by chinto; 08-24-2009 at 11:53 AM.

I think thumpit has some good ideas. I've read the fallen riders section and seen signatures that are very inappropriate "speed doesn't kill, sudden stops do so go faster!" (I'm paraphasing from memory). Sorry to the poster that has such a signature (or similar)....but it's a good example that made me cringe when I read it.

There are some roads where the signage is appropriate to cars but not bikes. Yesterday was my first ride to the forks and there was a railway crossing nearby, even if done at the speed limit would have LAUNCHED the bike or at least made it very light and unstable - I was fortuante to be following riders that knew of this and slowed right down. And we know that most rides are 15+ over...(please, no deniers of this).

I think a sticky of such hazzards has merit.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    I think thumpit has some good ideas. I've read the fallen riders section and seen signatures that are very inappropriate "speed doesn't kill, sudden stops do so go faster!" (I'm paraphasing from memory). Sorry to the poster that has such a signature (or similar)....but it's a good example that made me cringe when I read it.

There are some roads where the signage is appropriate to cars but not bikes. Yesterday was my first ride to the forks and there was a railway crossing nearby, even if done at the speed limit would have LAUNCHED the bike or at least made it very light and unstable - I was fortuante to be following riders that knew of this and slowed right down. And we know that most rides are 15+ over...(please, no deniers of this).

I think a sticky of such hazzards has merit.
    Again...we don't need a sticky...post your hazard in Riding Roads. (I'd actually be interested in riding this railway crossing?)
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Well, there is a sticky in riding roads to share speed traps, so why not hazards?

I also see that some posts in Riding Road Reviews don't have a title that helps when you're crusing the posts. Southwood 13> no idea where it is but when you open it, it discusses that the road is not in good shape.

I just thought a sticky would bring some order to this matter and make it easier to find as it does for the Speed Trap Exchange.

I have no idea where this the railway crossing is which is of no help if I wanted to post this hazard, but the more experienced riders that know where it is would hopefully post. We zigged, then zagged, then zigged and zagged some more...I just followed the leader. I just know it was on the way to the forks in the west end.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    Well, there is a sticky in riding roads to share speed traps, so why not hazards?

I also see that some posts in Riding Road Reviews don't have a title that helps when you're crusing the posts. Southwood 13> no idea where it is but when you open it, it discusses that the road is not in good shape.

I just thought a sticky would bring some order to this matter and make it easier to find as it does for the Speed Trap Exchange.

I have no idea where this the railway crossing is which is of no help if I wanted to post this hazard, but the more experienced riders that know where it is would hopefully post. We zigged, then zagged, then zigged and zagged some more...I just followed the leader. I just know it was on the way to the forks in the west end.

Well by that logic...why not have stickies for Good roads...Bad Roads...broken roads...east roads...west roads...and the whole forum would be nothing but stickies...LOL

A forum full of stickies becomes...just a forum! (and we're already there!)

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!