Own lane swaying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Own lane swaying

Own lane swaying

Has anyone been pulled over for weaving back and forth in one lane? mainly i do it to warm tires and a few times cause.. well, its fun

Re: Own lane swaying

i think if u get caught u could get careless ticket, or even dangerous driving. depends.

you mean I could be charge with stunting just for avoiding Toronto's terrible road conditions and I'm not talking about just the potholes.

Weaving back and forth on a bike does little to nothing to warm up the tires. Cars do it cause with more surface area there is more friction but on a bike it serves no purpose.

What about getting dirt/dust off the tires? I do that sometimes, i have no misconceptions about heating the tires up but cleaning them off is a good thing.

I often weave in my lane to warn a tailgater to back off.

And when I'm bored and driving behind someone going 10-20kph below the speed limit.

Weaving back and forth is a good way to attract the attention of the police.

It accomplishes next to nothing to warm up the tires.

One or two gentle weaves can be useful when approaching an intersection to get the attention of a car driver, but don't be too blatant with it. In view of the attitudes of the police ... keep the weaving down to a level that you could defend in court as to why you were doing it.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I do this to practice my object avoidance (pick an obstacle down the road - pot hole, manhole cover, just a mark on the road, etc and avoid it just to make sure I can when the need arises). Or when I'm bored. Guess I'll have to stop doing that if the police don't like it.

If the police aren't there to see it, and if another motorist isn't there to complain about it, it doesn't matter ... Just sayin' ...

I do it all the time. It isn't to warm tires, but to practice sudden countersteering to avoid a pothole or other obstacles on the road. I make it a game. I follow the car in front at the distance most people leave for space, and when I see a manhole or pothole come out from under their rear bumper, I swerve. Interesting thing, you need the full two second rule to avoid anything.

I have been doing it when suddenly I see a cop, but just kept doing it anyway and he just watched me ride by. I wasn't speeding or anything, but he did watch me. I don't think they could make a charge stick.

I don't do it with oncoming cars simply because it makes them nervous, but it also works as a way to get cars to back off and give you space on the road.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Did it in a little sports car coming down the 400 on a long weekend because I was stuck in traffic and board. A pickup in the next lane took offense and ran me off the road. I wasn't board after that as he chased me. Anyway I don't do it anymore, although on a bike I will change tracks to get a different view every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Did it in a little sports car coming down the 400 on a long weekend because I was stuck in traffic and board. A pickup in the next lane took offense and ran me off the road. I wasn't board after that as he chased me. Anyway I don't do it anymore, although on a bike I will change tracks to get a different view every once in a while.
    My friend was doing it in his lowered car to avoid some bumps. A cop pulled him over an accused him of being drunk...made him do the breathalizer and everything.

Doing it on the bike in front or around a cop is just another easy way to get pulled over...legal or not.

cool, ya i also started doing it to practice avoiding things, mainly ill do it when i see sewers but good to know about the not warming tires, just trying to get my mind to trust them and know they will stick in turns.

I also do this when I come to an intersection and when I see a car preparing to come out of a driveway or side street ahead. I do it to avoid motion camouflage.

see link for more info (I think I've seen a thread about this on GTAM somewhere before as well) http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...&pageId=146841

If a cop stopped me for this. I would try and explain it as a proven safety technique.

CBR 600RR, FZR 600(gone), Banshee 350(sold), Formula 1 Sidecar (Passenger)

Yup. Cop just told me to cut it out. He said other drivers might get scared as it looks like I am out of control. lol

- Swaying/weaving in your own lane is an excellent last resort technique to get a tailgater off your back. It never fails for me, but I use it sparingly.

- Useless for warming up the tires. Controlled braking and accelerating works much better, but you don't want to overdo it with cold tires either.

- Practicing emergency obstacle avoidance is a good idea, but there is a place and time for that (hint: it's not on Gardiner at 5PM).

- Increasing the chance to get pulled over or the chance to get rear ended? It's an easy choice.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I do it all the time when I see potential threats that might have cars pulling in front of me. I keep a copy of page 10 of the Smidsy Detailed report (found at the link below) in my top case.

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/smidsy...oo%20Close.pdf

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    I often weave in my lane to warn a tailgater to back off.
    same.... i've had countless a*holes overtake me in my own lane on highway stop-go rush hour traffic just to get 5-10 meters ahead of me.
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan Gunn View Post
    same.... i've had countless a*holes overtake me in my own lane on highway stop-go rush hour traffic just to get 5-10 meters ahead of me.
    I hate that, I've had it happen a couple times. What the hell are people thinking. I do the weave mostly on back roads when nobody is around. If I see a car I stop. It's fun, please don't shoot me.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

^ I think I'll be doing it much more now, after I read that report. Thanks for the link Tom!
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine